Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod and reel combo for fishing from rocks

• 11-06-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all,

I used to fish off the rocks in valentia island years ago. I'm going back for a few days later this month and want to try again.

I have no gear so want a cheap rod and reel combo recommendations for any learned folk here if possible!

I'll likely not use it for a year again.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Do you go lure fishing or use baits?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Lure fishing.

Mackerel feathers or the shiny lures

Dats_rite wrote: »

Lure fishing.

If you go into tackle shops they usually have cheapish sea rods for around 60 euro with a reel, that'll defintley do you for a few days. Don't be fooled into spending hundreds, you don't need it. If you are willing to spend a bit more, I recommend a savage gear bushwacker rod with shamano 3000 reel, that'd cost around 150 but is really good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Lure fishing.

Bit long winded here but bear with me.

If your fishing feathers youll be casting 2/3ounces, maybe even 4oz and thats a bit much for a lure rod. Add in 4/5/6 macks if their breaking and a lure rod and reel wont last.

If you go for a heavier rod and reel then you have the opposite for spinners. The rod is too heavy for lighter lures, most will be 28-35grams and a feather rod will be suited to casting about 56-84grams(2-3oz).
    The reel again will cause problems. Cheap reels are VERY bad value for money. The internal componants aren't upto scratch and will wear down very quickly. A days fishing with strings of feather full of macks will make bits of it very quickly.
    If your fishing for fun, with the added bonus of dinner get a lure rod, about 10-30ish grams and a small shimano reel, about 2500 size. The shimano catana 2500 is about €40 and brilliant value for money. You could get another reel that looks and feels the same for €20-€30 but it wont last.
    If you want a day out fishing with strings of feathers look for a bass rod, itll be rated in ounces, about 2-3 or 2-4oz. Anything will do but the shimano salt range are good value for money. Id look for a 2nd hand reel if you wanted to keep costs down. A shimano of about 6000 size would be perfect on a bass rod. The penn surfblaster 7000 is another good reel that should last the test of time.
    A cheap rod will do the job, the blank(the actuall rod itself) is usually not too bad but the rings and reel seat wont be great. Perfectly good for the odd days fishing tho. You might not notice much difference between 2 rods with a difference of €40/50 in price.
    Reels are a different story tho. Cheap usually means a shiny reel made with nasty interiors that just arent upto scratch.
    Sorry if thats a lot to take in, im not trying to say spend a fortune but it really is a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Especially where reels are concerned.
    If it were me id look for a lure set up. Much more fun to useand nicer in the hand and easier to cast.
    http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_85&products_id=808

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=712
    Youd buy the 2 of them together for about €85/90. Very good beginners set up that you wont need or want to upgrade for a few years of good use. They will do for spinning, casting jelly worms and its an excellent float fishing set up. Wrasse and pollack will be savage craic on it.
    Just my tuppence worth lol.

.red. wrote: »
    Lure fishing.

Bit long winded here but bear with me.

If your fishing feathers youll be casting 2/3ounces, maybe even 4oz and thats a bit much for a lure rod. Add in 4/5/6 macks if their breaking and a lure rod and reel wont last.

If you go for a heavier rod and reel then you have the opposite for spinners. The rod is too heavy for lighter lures, most will be 28-35grams and a feather rod will be suited to casting about 56-84grams(2-3oz).
    The reel again will cause problems. Cheap reels are VERY bad value for money. The internal componants aren't upto scratch and will wear down very quickly. A days fishing with strings of feather full of macks will make bits of it very quickly.
    If your fishing for fun, with the added bonus of dinner get a lure rod, about 10-30ish grams and a small shimano reel, about 2500 size. The shimano catana 2500 is about 40 and brilliant value for money. You could get another reel that looks and feels the same for 20- 30 but it wont last.
    If you want a day out fishing with strings of feathers look for a bass rod, itll be rated in ounces, about 2-3 or 2-4oz. Anything will do but the shimano salt range are good value for money. Id look for a 2nd hand reel if you wanted to keep costs down. A shimano of about 6000 size would be perfect on a bass rod. The penn surfblaster 7000 is another good reel that should last the test of time.
    A cheap rod will do the job, the blank(the actuall rod itself) is usually not too bad but the rings and reel seat wont be great. Perfectly good for the odd days fishing tho. You might not notice much difference between 2 rods with a difference of 40/50 in price.
    Reels are a different story tho. Cheap usually means a shiny reel made with nasty interiors that just arent upto scratch.
    Sorry if thats a lot to take in, im not trying to say spend a fortune but it really is a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Especially where reels are concerned.
    If it were me id look for a lure set up. Much more fun to useand nicer in the hand and easier to cast.
    http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_85&products_id=808

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=712
    Youd buy the 2 of them together for about 85/90. Very good beginners set up that you wont need or want to upgrade for a few years of good use. They will do for spinning, casting jelly worms and its an excellent float fishing set up. Wrasse and pollack will be savage craic on it.
    Just my tuppence worth lol.

A lot more detail than me anyway go with what he said ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have 2 options
    look at getting a 10 - 12 foot spinning rod and spinning reel and 12 lb line

for mackeral feathers use 1ounce shot lead for weight you will cast further and be able to fish for longer because you are using less energy to cast .if you get a couple of makeral together you have to be careful as you will break the tip off.
    this set up is very nice for float fishing too. and of course spinning.

second option is a light boat rod they are easy to store very rugged, you have to use a slightly heavier lead but a friend of mine swears by them he used to used it for spinning in a river! which got some strange(and suspicious) looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

sheesh wrote: »
    I have 2 options
    look at getting a 10 - 12 foot spinning rod and spinning reel and 12 lb line

for mackeral feathers use 1ounce shot lead for weight you will cast further and be able to fish for longer because you are using less energy to cast .if you get a couple of makeral together you have to be careful as you will break the tip off.
    this set up is very nice for float fishing too. and of course spinning.

Sorry but thats just bad advise.
    A 12 foot spinning rod is just madness. Theres not many about and for a good reason. Even 10ft spinning/lure rods are seen as too long nowadays.
    Also, using a spinning reel for feathering macks isnt a good idea either. Even a decent quality one isnt gonna last. Especially if your fishing above the water on piers and rocks where you need to haul them up.
    OP, have a think about what kind of fishing your gonna do more of. Mention where your based and pick a budget. People can then reccommend a shop to go to and maybe what gear to look out for.
    You could fork out €60 or €300 on a set up, it doesnt matter what you spend if it doesnt suit the fishing your gonna be doing its money wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

.red. wrote: »
    Sorry but thats just bad advise.
    A 12 foot spinning rod is just madness. Theres not many about and for a good reason. Even 10ft spinning/lure rods are seen as too long nowadays.
    Also, using a spinning reel for feathering macks isnt a good idea either. Even a decent quality one isnt gonna last. Especially if your fishing above the water on piers and rocks where you need to haul them up.
    OP, have a think about what kind of fishing your gonna do more of. Mention where your based and pick a budget. People can then reccommend a shop to go to and maybe what gear to look out for.
    You could fork out €60 or €300 on a set up, it doesnt matter what you spend if it doesnt suit the fishing your gonna be doing its money wasted.

fair enough advice there op go with he said,

I suppose 10 ft is what I have, always felt 8ft too short to me. It works for me and I like the set up. reel is a shimano Catana 4000 rb with 12lb line and the rod is a ron thompson 10 - 40 gram spinning rod was 10 ft (when i bought it) I usually spin or float with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just a note on valentia op. The rock marks there are notoriously treacherous. Be sure of where you're going and don't go alone. Don't mean to turn it into a lecture. I live reasonably close to the island and the rescue helicopter heading out to anglers in difficulty wouldn't be a rare sight over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭jd

I think you should drop into a tackle shop for a chat. They may have clearance deals etc of things that may suit. Where do you Live?

• Advertisement
Advertisement