Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cycle lanes be demolished?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Deedsie wrote: »
    That's the country we live in, to be fair to the residents with their own cars in the area, cars were purchased in the belief that there would be on street parking.

a) An awful lot of houses have large front gardens with a driveway for one car; if people want to have a second and third car, they should widen their driveway, imho, and not park them out on the street.

b) The energy should go towards excellent cycling facilities and public transport, as well as keeping driving expensive, so that the balance tips towards people sharing the city better, and towards a more pleasant way of living in the city.

How many children are driven to school every day (of the school year) in Dublin city? Has there been any study of this? The day after the schools close for our ridiculous summer holidays, the roads magically clear. How much better if there were safe, protected, separated lanes so the majority of these kids could cycle to school, and the minority could take public transport, with only a very few being driven by their parents.

As for the cyclists on paths, yes, for most cyclists who hop up on the path to transit a cobbled street or go down a one-way, I don't see this as a problem — but we all need to do as 2RockMountain does, and challenge people who speed on pavements, appeal to their decency to slow down while on the pavement.

They won't enforce no-parking rules on existing cycle lanes, so it is very unlikely that they will remove car parking to provide more cycle lanes.

Some cities have moved parking lanes out and made parking diagonal to put a cycle lane behind the cars — seems the most sensible thing.
    We are talking about parking on Pembroke Street Upper. No house here have large front gardens. I am the one advocating the removal of these parking spaces but we do have to share the city and I agree completely with the councillor, residents have rights too.

Residents have rights, but surely it's not a 'right' to park directly outside your home?

It is a right to be provided public parking yes...

A legal right? Really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have assumed that one of the reasons you'd want to move to fitzwilliam square would be so you could ditch the car. plus, there's probably scope for parking behind the buildings.

if you work in the area and are bored at lunch, maybe worth going for a meander and seeing how many cars have residential permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote wrote: »
    A legal right? Really?

I know that in America there are minimum parking requirements for developments, so that 99% of car trips in the USA begin and end with free parking. Some cities are attempting to at least reduce the number of parking spaces required for new developments, as it's baking in car-dependency even further, and those parking spaces are being paid for by everyone, so the car-less pay extra for food and services to subsidise parking for the car owners. The car owners usually are wealthier than the car-less.

There isn't the same expectation of free parking here (and making anything free is potentially a mistake, as you can see by the intense reaction when eventually try to charge for it, such as water charges here), but people do expect parking to be priced "reasonably", which really means so that their trip is cheaper than public transport: i.e. heavily subsidised.

This is a political/diplomatic issue though, so as Deedsie said, if you had bought a car and indeed bought the property on the understanding that you'd have parking, then you'd be incensed to find that you suddenly don't have it. However, it isn't actually a right, so removing a few spaces is entirely possible, or making people pay more for them. Nothing is going to be accomplished in making cities more liveable if owners of private motorised transport aren't inconvenienced in various ways.

I wouldn't like to be the people doing this work, I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A legal right? Really?
    i used to live in phibsboro; the street we were on (connaught parade, facing onto connaught street) was regularly used as park n ride by people heading into town. i think it was only on the second vote (prompted by the council) that it moved to pay and display. i think locals were more worried about the €40 a year for the residential permit than they were about the ability to find a parking spot.

I had a friend who lived on one of the squares on the Georgian Mile, and used to be amused to see the cars of certain parties who were not 'domiciled' in Ireland very regularly parked outside and in use, proving, this friend reckoned, that they were driving at least a Mercedes if not a four-in-hand through the domiciliary regulations.

Yes as I said, we are all provided public parking. We pay for it through our taxes and property charges.

We also pay for it when we buy food and goods. The cost of buying the land for parking spaces and building and maintaining them goes into the cost of the things we buy. So it's another subsidy of the people who drive by the people who don't.

It's not really a right. It's more of an expectation. It's a reasonable expectation too, up to a point, but it shouldn't be free or more competitive than public transport.

Yes as I said, we are all provided public parking. We pay for it through our taxes and property charges. Everyone may not be entitled to parking outside their door but that's not what I said.

There should be a certain amount of public parking for motorists and cyclists.

Ah yeah. We're at one on this. I reckon someone who lives on a trafficky city street should have the right to park — but not on that street.

The city-centre street is definitely one of the priciest bits of real estate there is, useful for so many different things. Using it for parking is a waste, so if you want it for that purpose, you should pay a much higher rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

Some quality work by DCC again... :mad:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/07/14/recycled/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

smackyB wrote: »

It's a bus and cycle lane. There's quite clearly a bike drawn above the words 'LANA BUS' (not that there needs to be, given that all bus lanes are bike lanes).

I think they should add the bikes to the bus lane signs. A lot of motorists don't realise cyclist are entitled to use the bus lane. Taxi drivers love to engage in punishment passes on the bus lanes.

Aren't there normally pictures of bikes on bus lane signs? Or is it only on the new ones?

As for taxis, we really should copy the excellent London scheme where taxi drivers have to be qualified in driving as well as having "the knowledge" before being allowed out on the road. And maybe a scheme I read about back in the 1990s, where cabbies were allocated biofeedback devices and taught how to regulate their breathing and heartbeat, for anger. And maybe work out a deal where cabbies get a rate equivalent to the Passport for Leisure rate in Corpo swimming pools and gyms, so they get some calming exercise. Cabbies have a horrifying level of damaging testosterone, because it builds up during driving decisions & doesn't have a chance to dissipate through exercise.

Aren't there normally pictures of bikes on bus lane signs? Or is it only on the new ones?

No, that's right, there are pictures on the upright sign, but not usually painted on the road. There was a spate of modified signs without the bicycle, but these have mostly been removed, as they weren't standards-compliant. I believe @monument was to a large part responsible for this.

As for taxis, we really should copy the excellent London scheme where taxi drivers have to be qualified in driving as well as having "the knowledge" before being allowed out on the road.
    They do allow minicabs and Uber too though, somewhat negating that.

I belive that indefatigable IrishCycle.com will be running an article on how people cycling on the bike lane that became a bus/bike lane feel about the new arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

buffalo wrote: »

It's a bus and cycle lane. There's quite clearly a bike drawn above the words 'LANA BUS' (not that there needs to be, given that all bus lanes are bike lanes).

Yes my point was that this is a regression for cyclists - the dededicated cycle lane has been removed and now cyclists will be stuck behind the buses and taxis that crawl over Portobello bridge at rush hour.

Yes my point was that this is a regression for cyclists - the dededicated cycle lane has been removed and now cyclists will be stuck behind the buses and taxis that crawl over Portobello bridge at rush hour.

Sounds plausible. Will be interested to see what IrishCycle.com hears from his correspondents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

As for taxis, we really should copy the excellent London scheme where taxi drivers have to be qualified in driving as well as having "the knowledge" before being allowed out on the road.
    Something like this test?

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/spsv-driver-licensing/spsv-entry-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Speaking of bike lanes, the ones in Blackrock are so big that drivers think they're car lanes. This carry on is not unusual here.
    https://twitter.com/PaulFedayn/status/753913161019949056

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I have compassion for the truck and van delivery drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Greenman wrote: »
    I have compassion for the truck and van delivery drivers.

It's just not acceptable that large numbers of drivers stop 'for just a few minutes' to block cycle lanes in busy traffic. If they need access to immediate parking, let them schedule their deliveries for outside peak hours. Or better still, move to a location which has parking outside or nearby. They can't just ignore the law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement