Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couponing in Ireland

Options
  • 12-06-2016 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've often wondered (while watching American TV shows) if couponing is possible in Ireland and where to get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The US show is a fix, like Storage Wars, Shipping Wars etc, chewing gum for the eyes basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MrsFox wrote: »
    I've often wondered (while watching American TV shows) if couponing is possible in Ireland and where to get them?

Its not possible in the US to the extent the show depicts, for starters.

No, its not. There are very few coupons released here and they always have restrictions.

Spend & Save setups with supermarkets are far and away the most viable method of reducing spending / stockpiling here. Dunnes 10 off 50 coupons stack (20 off 100, 30 off 150 in one transaction if you have multiple coupons etc) and regenerate; Tesco also take them but without stacking or regeneration.

Otherwise, sitting on the forums here for short-time offers for stockpiling; and Tesco misprices (Double the difference back if mispriced against you) are decent tactics. As is using every loyalty scheme going - Boots can end up with 12% back some weekends as well as 3 for 2 and specific points builder offers; Supervalu send you spend and save vouchers at random, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsFox

MrsFox wrote: »

Thanks guys was just thinking out loud really, they make it look crazy on the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

You actually can use coupons in the US to that show's extent, but that involves tremendous planning, coupon cutting and time. When living in San Francisco, I often was able to get $50 worth of groceries for about $15 because of coupon use and special store promotions combined while not spending much time at it. I also regularly came home with free products after using coupons, especially at CVS, Walgreens and RiteAid drug stores, and at times made money on my purchases with smart coupon use and following sales. You CAN use coupons and pay little to nothing for your grocery basket. There are even classes in cities where master couponers can teach you their systems. They are not made up. Takes preplanning though and some time coupon cutting and organizing.

Here I have used DealRush, LivingSocial.ie, Groupon.ie, MyDeal.ie, Pigsback coupons, and always sign up for loyalty cards from coffee shops like Costa, Insomnia or other sites like Easons, Xtra-Vision, etc. I have yet to pay for a DVD rental using Xtra-Vision because I receive so many free discount code promotions. Many DVD promo codes apply once for each credit card, so with judicious use of your entire family's cards, you can see free movies for some time!1 Signing up on the Milano restaurant site, we regularly eat for 30% off our tab. So you can get loads of deals here in Ireland if you utilize all the sites. While grocery store coupons are not plentiful, I have found some simply by using the stores' loyalty programs: Tesco, Dunnes and SuperValu provide their own coupons for money off or additional points promos when you sign up for their loyalty key tags.

So happy couponing or deal making.

Advertisement