Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Irish architects of our own doom from our housing policies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What happens if you don't pay your rent in Belgium? How long can you stay without being evicted
    The short answer is I don't know as I've always paid my rent :) But reading around, the processes seems to be like this:

Once a tenant is in arrears, ie by even 1 month, the landlord must give them a written warning, which can be an email but also a registered letter. If that doesn't work you go to what's called a 'juge de paix' or 'justice of the peace' for an optional conciliation process or go straight to filing a claim. Once you've gone through all these steps and gotten no joy, you can evict the tenant. I don't know how long this process normally takes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It keeps supply up and removes the pressure for rent increases.

The Belgian system produces 'hands off' landlords as they dont have to do minor maintenance and they get back the apartment (maybe after decades) in a condition ready to rent out again.

Belgium has a policy to encourage private investment and wealth creation in general. There is only a fixed 25% tax on dividends and no capital gains tax. The result is that by retirement people are better able to take care of themselves and their families.

That a million times. In Europe in general the attitude seems to be "let everyone be able to make a little enterprise for themselves", but in Ireland it's "ah jaysis, I see you're making a bita money there, you'll have to give that to us now, can't be having' that now".
    I would not be a landlord here for any money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Macha wrote: »

The lack of income tax on rent in Belgium is scandalous and is the one part of the system I would absolutely change.

It keeps supply up and removes the pressure for rent increases.

The Belgian system produces 'hands off' landlords as they dont have to do minor maintenance and they get back the apartment (maybe after decades) in a condition ready to rent out again.

Belgium has a policy to encourage private investment and wealth creation in general. There is only a fixed 25% tax on dividends and no capital gains tax. The result is that by retirement people are better able to take care of themselves and their families.

So what about people who aren't in a position to have capital? My income tax rate is something close to 50%. Why is that different from rental income? Do I not deserve the chance to look after my family?

Actually, landlords often put in new kitchens and bathrooms when changing tenants and tenants would expect the place to be freshly painted, unless the previous tenant moved out in the previous two years or so.

Advertisement