Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackened socket

Options
  • 12-06-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick. I am no expert. We lost power to all sockets last night. I went to the fuse box and one of the switches was down, so I pushed it back up...and everything came back. I was none the wiser...until I went to bed...and noticed I had plugged in a phone charger earlier in the bedroom. The charger was no longer working and there was a black stain around the socket. Is the socket dangerous now? Or is it the charger that is beyond repair? Would my pushing the switch in the fusebox have caused the blackened socket? Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would recommend that you get a competent person (an electrician would be best) to replace the socket. Most likely the phone charger failed, shorted internally, causing the device in your board to trip.
    I would expect that the phone charger is beyond repair.

Was it a cheap aftermarket phone charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Best thing you can do is post a few pictures if you can without a picture its hard to give advice.

Could be a couple of possibilities

1.Charger might developed a fault and been damaged (just damaging itself and only it needs to be replaced)

2.Charger malfunctioned and melted the socket.(socket needs to be replaced by rec)

If you can post a picture it would help

2011 posted as I did so ignore mine sound advice by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Thanks. I was successfully able to use the socket to plug in another charger, and it worked fine. The original charger is beyond repair. It worked fine for several years. Having said that, may not have been a top brand !

20160612_123028.jpg

20160612_122812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Unless I'm mistaken, That arc looks as though it travelled from the neutral to the earth pin?

If it has it's likely that the socket has the wrong polarity.

You should get an electrician to check it out anyway, personally I'd replace any socket showing any damage, they aren't expensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks like an phase neutral to earth fault. It's possibly been caused by the charger. I'd leave that circuit isolated, turned off at the switch board until you get an electrician to look at it. I'd also throw that charger out, it's odd to have an earth in a phone charger in my experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Even though the socket outlet appears to be working normally it must now be considered to be beyond serviceable life and replaced by an Electrician.

Looks like an phase to earth fault. It's possibly been caused by the charger. I'd leave that circuit isolated, turned off at the switch board until you get an electrician to look at it. I'd also throw that charger out, it's odd to have an earth in a phone charger in my experience...

I agree but isn't that arc going to what should be the neutral?

It is actually yes.

I expect the phase and neutral wires have been mixed up in the socket. There wouldn't normally be enough potential difference to cause that arc between the neutral and earth unless there are other issues of course.

That socket is in a rarely used box room and is only ever used to plug in an iron normally !

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    That socket is in a rarely used box room and is only ever used to plug in an iron normally !

Doesn't matter. Its a fire hazard. Get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Doesn't matter. Its a fire hazard. Get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Definitely will do that. Thanks

I'd leave that circuit isolated, turned off at the switch board until you get an electrician to look at it

Thanks again. Quick question - should every socket have a flick switch that can be turned on and off ?

Every socket should be on a circuit with a breaker if that's what you're asking, yes. There maybe a number or sockets on one breaker though.

Every socket should be on a circuit with a breaker if that's what you're asking, yes. There maybe a number or sockets on one breaker though.

The switch that went down when the fuse went, controls all the sockets in the house as far as I know

I presume it was an RCCB (a type of RCD) which operated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I presume it was an RCCB (a type of RCD) which operated.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's actually going from the LIVE to the Earth,

Remember a socket is the mirror of a plug.

I.e. When wiring a plug, the live is on the right (when looking at the open side of the plug) with the fuse, so in the receiving socket, the live is on the left when looking in at the socket.

Edit: Ignore all this, I had a brain freeze moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It's actually going from the LIVE to the Earth,

Remember a socket is the mirror of a plug.

I.e. When wiring a plug, the live is on the right (when looking at the open side of the plug) with the fuse, so in the receiving socket, the live is on the left when looking in at the socket.

No...it's not. When you wire a plug, it's facing away from you..the same orientation as when its in the socket...the arc is from neutral to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

your right, apologies,

Monday morning brain freeze!!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Why?

Because we have already been told that it deenergises ALL sockets in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I don't believe that the mark on the socket is due to an arc from neutral to earth, unless the socket is wired incorrectly the neutral and earth pins would be at the same potential. If you look at the picture of the dead phone charger you can see a crack in the body that has exactly the same shape as the black mark on the socket. It looks to me as if the charger failed catastrophically and the resultant internal arcing burst the case and expelled smoke and soot through the crack, leaving a mark on the front of the socket.

Anyway in the interests of safety personally I would replace the socket rather than take a chance, it is possible that carbon from the failure of the charger could have got inside the socket and could cause arcing at some future time.

Because we have already been told that it deenergises ALL sockets in the property.

So it could be a standard RCD as is most commonly used.
    Generally speaking tripping the RCD will disconnect all sockets in a domestic installation.

2011 wrote: »
    So it could be a standard RCD as is most commonly used.

But that's exactly what I stated!

A standard RCD is an RCCB.

RCD is simply a generic term for the devices, which include RCCBs, RCBOs, SRCDs, PRCDs and others.

What you are referring to as a "standard RCD" is, in fact, an RCCB (residual current circuit breaker).

I stated RCCB to differentiate from, for example, an RCBO (which is also an RCD).

But that's exactly what I stated!

A standard RCD is an RCCB.

RCD is simply a generic term for the devices, which include RCCBs, RCBOs, SRCDs, PRCDs and others.

What you are referring to as a "standard RCD" is, in fact, an RCCB (residual current circuit breaker).

I stated RCCB to differentiate from, for example, an RCBO (which is also an RCD).

You're right, my bad.
    I read "RCCB" as "RCBO".

Advertisement