Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi

Options
  • 12-06-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm moving back to Ireland after years in London.

I used to cycle in London but then I moved south of the river and my commute took me around elephant and castle (not so much a roundabout as game of Russian roulette with buses) So I started on the tube and my waist line expanded accordingly, so now is as a good a time as any to reduce flab.

I'm looking for a road/cross bike the 500e region, not much I know, but I've never not had a bike stolen in Dublin (I'll be working in the city centre, and dont think theres a secure lock up in work). I'd prefer not to go 2nd hand (again bike thieves).

My commute will probably be in the 10-17km round trip region.

I'm looking for recommendations for brands/models & bike shops. Is that great place in Dundrum still open? Hollingsworth?

Thanks in advance.

FYI It looks like I'll either be a self employed contractor, or setting up a limited company so I presume the bike to work scheme is out.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

FYI It looks like I'll either be a self employed contractor, or setting up a limited company so I presume the bike to work scheme is out.
    If you go down the limited company route you should be a PAYE employee which, unlike for self-employed, opens up the BTW scheme to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 returningexlie

Beasty wrote: »
    If you go down the limited company route you should be a PAYE employee which, unlike for self-employed, opens up the BTW scheme to you

The additional paperwork, hassle and so forth makes setting up a limited company just for the bike to work scheme excessive. But I'm on the finance forum asking the pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You dont need to go the full ltd company route, just become an umbrella employee/director and you can claim through the BTW scheme.

I did it myself last year.

retalivity wrote: »
    You dont need to go the full ltd company route, just become an umbrella employee/director and you can claim through the BTW scheme.

I did it myself last year.

Was it straight forward? I've looked on the revenue site and on the finance forum, and have to admit I'm a little confused.

Do you employee an accountant/set up a company bank a/c

[derail]

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No idea what an "umbrella" employee/director is.

Directors are officers of limited companies. Not that difficult to set up and should not require a separate bank account, but whichever way you go a business bank account makes sense.

The fundamental requirement for BTW is you need to be subject to PAYE. The Self employed are not, but an employee of someone who is self-employed is. The admin/paperwork is really more to do with setting up a payroll system to properly apply PAYE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Google umbrella solutions for contractors...there's a heap of info and companies that offer info and services.

retalivity wrote: »
    Google umbrella solutions for contractors...there's a heap of info and companies that offer info and services.
    That's simply the limited company option paying someone to do all the work for you. That's pretty much how all limited companies work, it's just the larger ones use their own employees rather than paying another organisation to do the legwork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The additional paperwork, hassle and so forth makes setting up a limited company just for the bike to work scheme excessive. But I'm on the finance forum asking the pros and cons.

Feck all hassle setting up an ltd co. I did it.

I've got feck all replies on the finance forum about this, and no bike advice on the bike forum. But thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've got feck all replies on the finance forum about this, and no bike advice on the bike forum. But thanks everyone.

What side of the city are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Not sure about the finance forum but I'd guess that many of the posters on the cycling forum have (surprisingly) been out on their bikes...

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What side of the city are you on?

I'll be in Stillorgan for a while at my folks while I look (dreading flat hunting and I've been in London a decade) I'm thinking Stoneybatter/Islandbridge/Kilmainhaim.

I know I managed to cycle to the city centre with easy but that was many years ago. I'm not looking to get tremendously fit, and dont need to spend a fortune on a bike. 90% I'll be out of Dublin at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd get a singlespeed for that commute. Less maintenance, less chance of bending a derailleur.

Something like this, but probably not in 16" frame unless you're Tyrion Lannister.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-vee-29-city-bike-2014/rp-prod81000

Advertisement