Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota hybrid challenge

• 12-06-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

So if you buy a 162 hybrid and you don't like it you can change it for a 171 petrol or diesel for free. I don't get the free part because you are paying a premium for a hybrid over petrol or diesel, they are hardly going to refund that if you aren't hPpy with the hybrid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So if you buy a 162 hybrid and you don't like it you can change it for a 171 petrol or diesel for free. I don't get the free part because you are paying a premium for a hybrid over petrol or diesel, they are hardly going to refund that if you aren't hPpy with the hybrid.

I've just ordered my Mrs one for July. Didn't see that offer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I've just ordered my Mrs one for July. Didn't see that offer..
    Is it a hybrid? It's on all hybrids bought in July.

https://www.toyota.ie/current-offers/hybrid-challenge.json

Is it a hybrid? It's on all hybrids bought in July.

https://www.toyota.ie/current-offers/hybrid-challenge.json

Yes, bought it from Toyota in Finglas. I did received 3K extra discount + 3years service but no mention of your offer. In fairness, I'm sure the hybrid will be fine.

You pay a premium but you're getting a 171 for free if you don't like the hybrid.........

I don't think you'd ever want a diesel again after driving a hybrid if you give it a chance to get used to it , for me the only car after the Prius was the Leaf and that's leaps and bounds better than any Diesel or Hybrid again, having said that I take the Diesel for the long trips, I have the 24 Kwh Leaf, the 30 Kwh has about 30 kms more range and charges faster at the fast charger. I've just over 40,000 kms on the Leaf in 1.5 years.

So you get 140-170 kms on the first charge from home in the 30 Kwh Leaf then get 110 kms with a 25 min fast charge to 80% so that's a decent improvement. Of course in just 1.5 years you will get 300 kms range for probably the same price of a new Prius so there is no way I would buy a Prius at this time considering the cost has not fallen for Toyota Hybrids.

Here's a kicker, the Leaf battery costs 6,500 for 24 Kwh if you need a new one, the Prius battery costs 2,500 for 1 Kwh ! Toyota are insane , as much as I loved the Prius Toyota are really taking the Mick.

Yes, bought it from Toyota in Finglas. I did received 3K extra discount + 3years service but no mention of your offer. In fairness, I'm sure the hybrid will be fine.

Thought you were buying an EV ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

The problem is that as far as I can see there are not automatic transmission diesel cars that have hybrid equivalent in Toyota range. Also what would be equivalent of Prius?

Thought you were buying an EV ?

I did but this is for the Mrs.

September1 wrote: »
    The problem is that as far as I can see there are not automatic transmission diesel cars that have hybrid equivalent in Toyota range. Also what would be equivalent of Prius?

Peugeot have a Diesel Hybrid but it't not nearly as efficient, diesels are poor for short trips and take a lot longer to warm up. And diesel hybrids are unnecessary.

The Prius is a good car but the Hybrid Tech is now grossly over priced.

Prius NiMh 1 Kwh battery costs 2,500 Euro's, Leaf Lithium costs 6,000 Euro's for 24 Kwh. That's a staggering difference.

Still if I had a choice between Hybrid or Diesel I'd choose the Hybrid any day. It's just a shame Toyota are still charging a ridiculous price for the technology.

I did but this is for the Mrs.

So why not a 2nd hand Leaf ?

So why not a 2nd hand Leaf ?

Because it doesn't suit our needs. An example, we're heading to France by car and I just don't fancy the hassle of driving there in an EV. In time know doubt.

• Advertisement

Because it doesn't suit our needs. An example, we're heading to France by car and I just don't fancy the hassle of driving there in an EV. In time know doubt.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to be smart or anything but why wouldn't you fly and rent a car ? Is this a regular trip by car ? if not regular then does it make sense to base a decision to buy a car on such an infrequent trip ?

I drove around 700 kms From Wednesday to Friday in our diesel Kia, no way I'd do a Cork Kerry trip and back in the Leaf 24 Kwh. And the Kia has more useful boot space being the Estate version. I hope Leaf II has an estate option. Why do EV makers insist on making small electrics only ?

When the first of the 300 km electrics appear in 2018 it will be a game changer but there'd want to be substantial investment in infrastructure and 100+ Kw chargers but I fear that the availability in power could be a major issue and something the ESB need to address and one thing that worries me is that My work place are paid by the ESB to remove the building from the Grid at times of insufficient power and use their diesel generators, the ESB pay them for this and I believe this is a serious problem if they're requesting us to do this. Yes the building consumes substantial MW of power 24x7 not including our new building or the several under construction !!!!!

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to be smart or anything but why wouldn't you fly and rent a car ? Is this a regular trip by car ? if not regular then does it make sense to base a decision to buy a car on such an infrequent trip ?
    Because we want to go by Ferry, simple. We want to go at our own pace and come home when we want and not fixed by times

Regarding France and EVs, it isn't as clear cut with suitable Fast charge points

Because we want to go by Ferry, simple. We want to go at our own pace and come home when we want and not fixed by times

Are you not fixed by ferry times ?

Are you not fixed by ferry times ?
    Flexi as far as I remember..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The hybrid is the cheapest in the range.

Advertisement