Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie but ;)

Options
  • 12-06-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am not a newcomer to cycling , well the Offroad Variety anyway and I am looking for advice , now all the adventure racers and Triathletes I know are very experienced and very damn good , due to a brain tumour appearing at the end of last year and being diagnosed with a melananoma,I have had problems with peripheral vision and this results in clipping trees and a reduction in speed. Enduro racing is probably over for me , I've had a go at a couple of adventure races and enjoyed them ( the running did for me though and I was busy working on that when I lost the use temporarily of my right hand and discovered I had cancer in November ) and I am fascinated by triathlon , I can swim albeit slowly but I can pedal . what I am looking for is how do I get into Triathlon as a beginner , I can work on the Adventure racing myself , any tips , I have a CI Licence with my Team and access to all kinds of Toys..I am the Man in Charge of the Giant Dublin Store .
    Richie Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

I dabbled around for a year or so by just signing up to the odd race, best move I made tho was joining a club. Found it easier to train and had more structure to the training(when I'm not injured). Not sure where ur based in Dublin but there are loads of clubs covering north and south of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Take your time and get into it slowly. Build up your swim and your run. Pool swimming is very different to open water swimming and you need to be as comfortable as possible.

Like Pot P said have a look at clubs around you and see what's on offer, some will suit more than others and some might be better for what your looking for. For most beginners the swim is the most daunting part so give it some time and work. Try and find the timetables to the clubs and see where and when they train. Bit more structure and some offer a bit of coaching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Doc Savage

Hey thanks I am on the Southside , I reckon Belpark and Wicklow Tri would be the ones !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Can't wait to see you in a tri suit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Doc Savage

well I have one for you as well ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Best of luck Richie. You looked the part in Achill, you could keep going at the multisport races - the biking is always a roadbike?
    With the triathlons there are some with pool swims to dip your toe in the water, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Doc Savage wrote: »
    Hey thanks I am on the Southside , I reckon Belpark and Wicklow Tri would be the ones !!

Belpark is a very friendly club, sure pop us a line and ask!!! Members are from leisure to Cat1 athletes, training is in UCD /Nutgrove, there is always someone happy to answer any question you might have

Wishing you very best of luck with racing!

Advertisement