Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an abandoned house

Options
  • 12-06-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I have the folio number, it was bought some time ago and the owners name is not an every day name so as its abandoned I done a check on rip.ie, this person has passed away a few years back..

What is the next step if I am looking to buy this house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,686 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Next step would be to see if the person had a will or descendants who would now become owners of the property. Might be best to check probate office in the county the property is in to see if it details who took ownership or is acting as executor. It could still be going through legal side and sometimes it could be 2 years after a death before it gets fully sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Next step would be to see if the person had a will or descendants who would now become owners of the property. Might be best to check probate office in the county the property is in to see if it details who took ownership or is acting as executor. It could still be going through legal side and sometimes it could be 2 years after a death before it gets fully sorted.

Cheers thanks.!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,686 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cheers thanks.!

If there was no will or descendants I think the property and estate might be claimed by the state. It's hard to know whether your better off contacting those who may be beneficiaries of the estate to express your interest in purchasing or just wait until the property goes on the open market (presuming it does), if they think the property is in high demand they might put an unrealistically high price on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

If there was no will or descendants I think the property and estate might be claimed by the state. It's hard to know whether your better off contacting those who may be beneficiaries of the estate to express your interest in purchasing or just wait until the property goes on the open market (presuming it does), if they think the property is in high demand they might put an unrealistically high price on it.

That would be the fear, sure if its too high the search will continue!!

Advertisement