Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group C, Poland v Northern Ireland, 5pm

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Im a Northern Ireland supporter and also will be supporting Republic tomorrow , bit sad to be cheering Poland over an Irish side.

Why would I support them? I know nobody from Northern Ireland, I don't care about them, much the same way I don't care if Slovakia win or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Northern Ireland are out of their depth so far. San Marino would put up a better fight

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unearthly wrote: »
    Northern Ireland are out of their depth so far. San Marino would put up a better fight

Don't talk rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I got Northern Ireland in the sweep in the local... so I'll be cheering for them... to get hammered so at least I can win the booby prize for the most goals conceded in the group stages :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I am very surprised!! There has never been any disdain between good Irish fans and the North, at least not over the last 20 years.
    Poland almost prevented us qualifying, if anything there should be a "healthy" rivalry between us and them.

I actually know some people from NI who will be cheering for Poland tonight.

They do not represent the whole community there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

That is nonsense, and you know it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That looked like a good tackle.

Ah come on, they are playing a decent team in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

First time I'm watching Norn Iron in years. Have not missed much it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

On Lewandowski at 16s for top scorer and not a sniff here yet

Im a Northern Ireland supporter and also will be supporting Republic tomorrow , bit sad to be cheering Poland over an Irish side.

An Irish side that has "God Save the Queen" as their anthem? Not Irish to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Sadly, he probably doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

An Irish side that sings God save the queen?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Poor delivery again. Hard to see any way back for NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Yeah, they're at least north korea standard. still wouldn't be surprised if they score mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

murpho999 wrote: »
    An Irish side that has "God Save the Queen" as there anthem? Not Irish to me.

Doesn't feel like a country from our Island is playing, such is the disconnect from the North. Still I'd like to see them do well.

Lewandowski is such a whinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Has Sczesny (sp?) had a serious save to make yet? I can't remember anything, other than that corner a couple of minutes ago. NI are a very limited side, which makes their current unbeaten run all the more of an accomplishment.

An Irish side that has "God Save the Queen" as there anthem? Not Irish to me.

mature.....

What's so Irish about Poland! We have soooooo much more connection to the North than Poland. The players and majority of the fans dont choose the anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd like to hear how loud Lewandowski would really scream if he was hit with a real tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Difficult to support an Irish team represented by God save the queen as their national anthem. I'd like to look beyond that but I just can't.....

blueser wrote: »
    Has Sczesny (sp?) had a serious save to make yet? I can't remember anything, other than that corner a couple of minutes ago. NI are a very limited side, which makes their current unbeaten run all the more of an accomplishment.

just there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mature.....

What's so Irish about Poland! We have soooooo much more connection to the North than Poland. The players and majority of the fans dont choose the anthem.

In fairness they'll be burning our flags in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would say Northern Ireland are much better than they are showing here. It's like the opening five minutes of pressure has just seen them stuck in a defensive rut.

From what I saw of the qualifying they were more ambitious, more on the front foot.

Washington shouldn't have pulled out there.

• Big chance

That's great keeping

Szczesny looks a lot more decisive than in his Arsenal days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Poland sitting back here.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    An Irish side that sings God save the queen?

Um.

Poster called Tyson Fury objects to God Save the Queen.

Even though it was also played before...a Tyson Fury fight! Though in fairness, he himself is not a fan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

mature.....

ya but they play and support them so in my eyes they can stick the god save our queer up there hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Interesting to read the slightly sneering posts on here regarding NI and their ability to play, when ROI are equally lacking in the keep- the-ball category..
    They are the worst team so far alright, but just wait for tomorrow and Keogh, O'Shea, McCarthy, Whelan et al.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Doesn't feel like a country from our Island is playing, such is the disconnect from the North. Still I'd like to see them do well.

Massive connection between North and South! Not sure what world people with that line of thinking live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Yillan wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the delight in this thread for the Polish goal. I don't really have a horse in this race, but I'd like Northern Ireland to do well. Would be amazing (although unlikely) to meet them in the quarters or something. I'm certainly not celebrating that Poland scored. The Giant's Causeway is wicked man.

This debate about why shouldnt we be friends and close neighbours is for the politics forum. And things have improved from the troubles, and I hope peace lasts and lasts.
    I have no issue with anyone from northern Ireland personally. I Love the Irish rugby team, and respect and adore the players from Ulster.

But when it comes to the football, it is different.
    Im sure many remember the match from november 93 in Windsor park. It was hell. That is the main reason I would not support the team.

Poland technically far superior.

Lafferty :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Massive connection between North and South! Not sure what world people with that line of thinking live in!

I've been to Czech Republic more times in my life than the north.

One thing the north have, the best looking playeron these islands, kyle lafferty(completely straight comment)

In fairness they'll be burning our flags in a few weeks.

In fairness they wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Mec27 wrote: »

One thing the north have, the best looking playeron these islands, kyle lafferty(completely straight comment)

Shane Long disagrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Interesting to read the slightly sneering posts on here regarding NI and their ability to play, when ROI are equally lacking in the keep- the-ball category..
    They are the worst team so far alright, but just wait for tomorrow and Keogh, O'Shea, McCarthy, Whelan et al.

That's the attitude to have good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't know, it just seems hard to try and support a team who's fans are mostly bitter hate filled people who would no doubt rejoice in seeing us lose a game.
    They hate us. I have no interest in wanting their team to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Mec27 wrote: »

My housemate would disagree (Female), Wes Houlihan is where it is at apparently.

We're definitely inviting a karmic kick in the arse to be sure!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

NI are woefully limited.

mature.....

I'm very mature thanks but I also have a political viewpoint that cannot be separated from international sport.

I'm old enough to remember them qualifying in 82 and 86 word cups. I jumped around the room as a young lad when Armstrong scored against Spain and they beat them it was increditble and I think the whole of the Republic was behind them.

However, it all changed for me in November 93 when we played them in Windsor Park in a poisonous atmosphere. A team that had done nothing in the group did their utmost to beat us roused on by bigoted Billy Bingham rousing the salivating crowd to sing 'The Sash' and my attitude changed forever as I realised that they are not our friendly neighbours and only represent one half of the community.
    I also remember how Neil Lennon was treated becuase he played for Celtic.

Since the 93 match, I cannot support them and public opinion in the south changed and they are just another foreign team to me know and I have no reason to see them do well.

You can read about the match here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In fairness they wont.

They do it every year as you well know. They reside in the past and and should give up they're marching and triumphalism.
    Just like some posters here need to move on they should also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Northern Ireland right back a sleep there . What an opportunity!

enzo roco wrote: »
    This debate about why shouldnt we be friends and close neighbours is for the politics forum. And things have improved from the troubles, and I hope peace lasts and lasts.
    I have no issue with anyone from northern Ireland personally. I Love the Irish rugby team, and respect and adore the players from Ulster.

But when it comes to the football, it is different.
    Im sure many remember the match from november 93 in Windsor park. It was hell. That is the main reason I would not support the team.

I'd tend to agree. Poland and Ireland have established a great relationship which was really cemented at the euros in 2012. So much so, Poland adopted Ireland as their second team and we have seen many great friendly and indeed competitive games in the intervening years.

I've been to Poland on many occassions and the country and the people are wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't know, it just seems hard to try and support a team who's fans are mostly bitter hate filled people who would no doubt rejoice in seeing us lose a game.
    They hate us. I have no interest in wanting their team to do well.
    People questioning why Republic fans aren't supporting Northern Ireland must be teenagers or something.

The Northern Ireland teams biggest internet forum (http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/) put a special banner up celebrating the French win over Ireland back in 2009 when Henry handled the ball.

Classy bunch of lads.

However, it all changed for me in October 93 when we played them in Windsor Park in a poisonous atmosphere. A team that had done nothing in the group did their utmost to beat us roused on by bigoted Billy Bingham rousing the salivating crowd to sing 'The Sash' and my attitude changed forever as I realised that they are not our friendly neighbours and only represent one half of the community.
    I also remember how Neil Lennon was treated becuase he played for Celtic.

Since the 93 match, I cannot support them and public opinion in the south changed and they are just another foreign team to me know and I have no reason to see them do well.

It was a desperate atmosphere, a brother was at it and said it was intimidating. But it was at a very low time in the Troubles.

On the other hand, know Cork City fans who travelled up to Linfield for a Setanta Cup game in more recent years and said they were treated fantastically well. Brought into the Linfield supporters club on the Shankill Road and given a great night. Just politely warned not to get into the whole nationalist thing, not sing any rebel songs etc. Which is understandable.

It's time to maybe look at 93 as a relic of a bygone time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didn't Shane Long get an injury time equaliser against Poland? I wonder if Poland will concede a late goal here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement