Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group C, Poland v Northern Ireland, 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

N Ire very poor but could still nick something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Massive connection between North and South! Not sure what world people with that line of thinking live in!

Yeah when it comes to a huge trade partnership and money. I've been up there a few times, totally different place and people. You wouldn't realize unless you lived in a border county.

Anyway back to the game ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Did not know Paddy McCourt was a loyalist or Niall McGinn.

Before you say Paddy is not there i know, and only reason he is not there is for family reasons, which is why he is back in Derry

Was McCourt sent more bullets in the post, like both he and McGinn have in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That was their chance, right there.

• Great chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Unlucky, clever free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Interesting to read the slightly sneering posts on here regarding NI and their ability to play, when ROI are equally lacking in the keep- the-ball category..
    They are the worst team so far alright, but just wait for tomorrow and Keogh, O'Shea, McCarthy, Whelan et al.

I think northern ireland have done really well to qualify, albeit from a poor group. I think they've done well today too so far. i don't think there is a lot of sneering. the lack of quality is as plain as day and people are just pointing it out. the republic have a better caliber of player even though rankings might suggest otherwise. in terms of retaining possession you're probably right we are equally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

This north/south talk is worse than the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just politely warned not to get into the whole nationalist thing, not sing any rebel songs etc. Which is understandable

All is good boys, just don't mention the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

After Northern Ireland scored, O’Connor says that’s when the chants began about ‘Greysteel — trick or treat’ followed by laughter. It was a reference to the massacre that took place at the Rising Sun Bar less than three weeks before when UFF members walked in on a Halloween party and shot dead eight civilians. “I’ve been to loads of sporting events around Europe and never felt such hatred,” O’Connor adds. “The Old Firm games were a picnic compared to it.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/billys-boys-still-cast-long-shadow-226925.html

I know a lot has changed but that night in 1993 permanently tarnished the Northern Ireland soccer team in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Krychowiak is a gem. Kapustka has also had a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great strike.

All is good boys, just don't mention the war.

Actually, I think they were allowed mention the War...as in "your lads gave Hitler a damn good thrashing"...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very poor free kick :mad:

Piss poor.

• Last chance now for NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Such a poor delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not going to happen for NI. That free kick was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Poland are a funny outfit, they've played well within themselves today, like they did for most of the two games against us. Less than the sum of their parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Terrible advert, no expects free-flowing from Northern Ireland but a bit more ambition a bit earlier would have been nice as Poland up front are average.

Ouch

Piscek wiped out by Szcesny there. Not sure that was the keeper's ball to come for.

Oh please let an outfield player have to go in goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't understand managers tactics of only playing once you go behind.

NI have looked better since they went 1 down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it's impossible to see NI get anything from Germany, Ukraine can be good, they have the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great result gwan the poles

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Korat wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/billys-boys-still-cast-long-shadow-226925.html

I know a lot has changed but that night in 1993 permanently tarnished the Northern Ireland soccer team in my mind.

That was 23 years ago, how are we supposed to move on if people keep clinging to the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Flattering scoreline for NI. Germany will absolutely destroy them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't understand managers tactics of only playing once you go behind.

NI have looked better since they went 1 down.

Usually the same with us in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

GET IN !!!! LOVELY :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In fairness they wont.

Some will be but I know both side of the N.Ireland Protestant community

• Probably the worst game of football so far in the tournament. They all can't be good I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Very very poor from the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

well done poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fair play to Northern Ireland. The performance was good given the limited resources they had. Ukraine game is now a must-win for them - tough place to get a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Hard luck Iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Worst game of the tournament I'd say.

That was 23 years ago, how are we supposed to move on if people keep clinging to the past?

What difference does it make if people from the south support them or not. It's all a choice.

Doesn't look like the Nordies will be taking anything home from this tournament bar some souvenirs and sunburn. Mind you, it could be the same story for us as well.

Fair play to Northern Ireland. The performance was good given the limited resources they had. Ukraine game is now a must-win for them - tough place to get a result.

It is. Hopefully playing them in France will be less daunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sadly, he probably doesn't.

They were very poor. They were like a walking dead episode. Bunch of zombies with no entertainment value

I don't know what game you were watching? They were poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Lewandowski is such an unlikeable player, always diving, throwing a strop, wasting time and has the neck to gesture to the ref that other players are diving and is generally an awful bastard

N Ire don't have the quality but sitting back and no game plan going forward is never going to get them anywhere. Lafferty was was isolated and alot if aimless balls to him. Norwood twice had a chance for a decent free kick and flopped.

Really hope this won't be a carbon copy for tomorrow night, we have better players. I just hope we have the belief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't know what game you were watching? They were poor.

Have to agree, they offered nothing and never looked like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

NI, undoubtedly the worst team so far at the Euros. Offered nothing and tried to play for a draw from the kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

jamesbere wrote: »
    N Ire don't have the quality but sitting back and no game plan going forward is never going to get them anywhere. Lafferty was was isolated and alot if aimless balls to him. Norwood twice had a chance for a decent free kick and flopped.

Really hope this won't be a carbon copy for tomorrow night, we have better players. I just hope we have the belief

At least for us we are playing a side that are (in my opinion) worse than Poland.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Lewandowski is such an unlikeable player, always diving, throwing a strop, wasting time and has the neck to gesture to the ref that other players are diving and is generally an awful bastard

Evans did a decent job on him today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I don't think northern Ireland will have too much complaints. Unfortunately their attacking set piece didn't happen for them.

Their discipline and defensive structure was solid. Ukraine will find it difficult to break them down!.

• Advertisement

Don't think we were awful, we didn't offer anything going forward but were very solid in defence. We need to tweak the tactics a bit to not sit back quite so much.

We weren't embarrassed like some predicted at least.

Advertisement