Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group C, Poland v Northern Ireland, 5pm

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

edgecutter wrote: »
    At least for us we are playing a side that are (in my opinion) worse than Poland.

They have improved a lot since the group matches. They are a good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't know what game you were watching? They were poor.
    I think given how poor the team is, they have done well. I expected Poland to get 3 or 4 goals.

Linekar said before the match that Lewandowski was the greater Polish striker ever, as if this was some established fact.

You'd think he'd remember Lato and Boniek.

Now Bob may be a fine player, if inclined to fall over very easily. And Boniek and Lato were not out and out strikers. But still, the rush to assert that the modern players are greater is irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

That ad for the car company where the old man puts on his jersey and it's got the EURO 2016 crest on it, and they delay the match until he arrives. First of all, is the car he drove very slow and that's why he was late? And secondly, who are EURO 2016 playing against in this game? World Cup 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Aidric wrote: »
    NI, undoubtedly the worst team so far at the Euros. Offered nothing and tried to play for a draw from the kick off.

Yeah 'so far' are the key words. We still have to play tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

They have improved a lot since the group matches. They are a good team.

Not saying they are, but I would rather play them than Poland again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think given how poor the team is, they have done well. I expected Poland to get 3 or 4 goals.

Indeed. O'Neill has performed miracles in getting this side to a major tournament in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Good to see traitor McGovern picking that ball up from his own net, I am sure most of Enniskillen were cheering. Well done to Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

They will learn from that learning curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

UEFA banned all alcoholic drinks close to the stadium. Apparently they are also flying in Christy Moore for the half time show as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

How did Ulster qualify, let alone top their group. They were awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

UEFA banned all alcoholic drinks close to the stadium. Apparently they are also flying in Christy Moore for the half time show as well.

Banned from fanzone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

keano_afc wrote: »

Easy group

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We didn't play like that in the qualifiers, we were a lot more attacking and expressive.

Korat wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/billys-boys-still-cast-long-shadow-226925.html

I know a lot has changed but that night in 1993 permanently tarnished the Northern Ireland soccer team in my mind.

That was 23 years ago, how are we supposed to move on if people keep clinging to the past?

You are free to support them if you wish but you can hardly expect a northern Roman Catholic to support them, even their flag is associated with old terror groups

awec wrote: »
    We didn't play like that in the qualifiers, we were a lot more attacking and expressive.

Ach, it's understandable. It's such a new experience for the NI players and management. For all the criticism here, we must remember the tanking we got in the last Euros, 1-0 v Poland is no disgrace. And we were hardly playing beautiful football, we got it playing dour crap and selecting donkeys. At least Michael O'Neill does the best with players at his disposal...we stuck Cox in midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

You are free to support them if you wish but you can hardly expect a northern Roman Catholic to support them, even their flag is associated with old terror groups

Sure they're all fairy stories anyway. Ye should all get over your mortality and stop hating each other due to different interpretations of fairy tales. It's 2016. Step into it.

Roman Catholic managers like Lawrie McMenemy and Lawrie Sanchez and Michael O'Neill seem to have got on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Lewandowski is such an unlikeable player, always diving, throwing a strop, wasting time and has the neck to gesture to the ref that other players are diving and is generally an awful bastard

Other than that, you'd be a fan yeah? :pac:

Peist2007 wrote: »

Sure they're all fairy stories anyway. Ye should all get over your mortality and stop hating each other due to different interpretations of fairy tales. It's 2016. Step into it.

You should know that it goes beyond religion, I would not expect an outsider to understand as you have not grown up in this segregated land with two cultures.

• Advertisement

Roman Catholic managers like Lawrie McMenemy and Lawrie Sanchez and Michael O'Neill seem to have got on with it.

Good for them, I wonder what O'neills forefathers would say if they were alive today?
    Sanschez is not from Northern Ireland you know so he doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

"Will Griggs" song on RTE there. That's probably the wittiest thing they've ever done.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good for them, I wonder what O'neills forefathers would say if they were alive today?

"Unlucky son, should have gone with two up front."

Mcmenemy wasnt from here either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

paychecks always trump religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

edgecutter wrote: »
    Easy group

Agreed. When I looked up their group I could see that. They were in desperation a few times trying to score; reminiscent of how we were/used to be. Although they are not as good as I thought I,e top of group I still support them but I understand fully those who, for recent historical memories, cant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

You should know that it goes beyond religion, I would not expect an outsider to understand as you have not grown up in this segregated land with two cultures.

Grew up an hour down the road. Close enough. Time to grow up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

They didnt.
    Though if the 2/3 of ulster that make up NI can make it imagine the great team the whole province woul have !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Linekar said before the match that Lewandowski was the greater Polish striker ever, as if this was some established fact.

You'd think he'd remember Lato and Boniek.

Now Bob may be a fine player, if inclined to fall over very easily. And Boniek and Lato were not out and out strikers. But still, the rush to assert that the modern players are greater is irritating.

He is though, precisely cos Lato and Boniek aren't strikers. He's a better player than Lato anyway even if Lato was a striker. Boniek, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

titan18 wrote: »
    He is though, precisely cos Lato and Boniek aren't strikers. He's a better player than Lato anyway even if Lato was a striker. Boniek, probably not.

Don't forget Gregorz Rasiak, he should be on that list as well

You are criticising Michael O'Neill by invoking his forefathers?

That's pretty low. Maybe they'd be happy out to see how he has done. Maybe they wouldn't prescribe that he should not support NI because you think he shouldn't. Maybe, like Michael, they'd have got over the whole bitterness thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

cjmc wrote: »
    They didnt.
    Though if the 2/3 of ulster that make up NI can make it imagine the great team the whole province woul have !

As in the great, and getting better since Saturday, all Ireland Rugby team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sheroman01 wrote: »
    "Will Griggs" song on RTE there. That's probably the wittiest thing they've ever done.

Not particularly! It has been all over the media for Northern Ireland previews the last month! If anything its unoriginal by RTE!

Still, a nice touch! Loved hearing the fans singing it in the stadium! Sure Ireland will be singing the Shane Long version tomorrow in Paris, imagine the scenes and chants if Long scores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

And the Republic of Ireland flag is associated with the IRA and your point. ps. we are trying to get rid of this brain dead sectarian attitude but THANK You for being so special that you can't let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Republic of Ireland manager is O'Neil also, again not sure what your point is, elucidate for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

"Why can't I die?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

murpho999 wrote: »

However, it all changed for me in November 93 when we played them in Windsor Park in a poisonous atmosphere.

the reason why there was so much anger that night is because the IRA killed 10 people on the shankhill rd just a fortnight beforehand, but of course thats never mentioned

anyway if a Loyalist bomb went off in Dublin the Northern Ireland team would have got it in the neck at Landsdowne Rd, simple as

Advertisement