Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ReInstalling Windows 10 on a new Chipset?

Options
  • 12-06-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey guys, so a few years ago I built a PC, here's, my current build:

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K
    Mobo - ASRock Z75 Pro3
    GPU - Nividia Geforce 770GTX
    RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit
    PSU - Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular
    SSD - Samsung SSD 840 120GB
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    Case - Cooltek Antiphon Black
    Optical Drive - LiteOn iHAS124-04
    Net Card - ASUS PCE-N15
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    OS - MS Windows 8 64-Bit (SB) (Now Win 10)

I finally got a job now and my PC is starting to show some age so I want to upgrade. Initially my OS was Win 8 System Builder, but eventually MS upgraded me to 8.1 and then Win 10.

My question is, if I upgrade my mobo and cpu, will I be able to transfer my OS to my new build? Especially since it was the free Win 10 upgrade?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I changed the processor on Window's 10 no problem on a similar upgrade path....

I'm not sure if you could change the Mobo though, but if it says it's not genuine after upgrading I'd get MS either via chat or via the phone and they can log into your machine and make it genuine AFAIK...

They don't have to though but if your nice they should play ball... :)

Possibly if you log in with a Windows live account before you do the upgrade you could have less hassle as surely the windows 10 install stays tied to your MS ID?

I'm not too sure about the last part but possibly someone on the windows forum could advise...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Hey thanks for the reply!

Could you elaborate a bit on the upgrading through chat or phone? I'm not familiar with that. I wasn't aware there was a Windows forum but since this is mostly a hardware thing I though it would fit better here. I'll keep this thread for a bit anyway to see if anyone else has input, but I will certainly try there if I don't get the answer I need, thanks!

Changing the motherboard will remove your digital entitlement so you will need to reactivate Windows 10. As far as I know, you'll need a new licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a VLK/Retail key and say a mobo fails you can call them if there are insufficient activations left and they'll add a few, with your key though thats not an option.

Budget for a new licence with your upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looking at those PC specs, if it were me, all I'd be doing is getting a bigger SSD and a new GPU. Unless you need x99 and MOAR CORES!! .

• Advertisement
Advertisement