Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks

Options
  • 12-06-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

I got a MAC Retro Matte Lipstick. The colour is gorgeous and when I first apply it, it looks great. But the wear off is really patchy and dries my lips badly. If I reapply more lipstick it starts to pill/clump on my lips and on the bullet.

My lips are not dry at all so I can't understand why the lipstick is clumping up like that. I have tried layering it over balm but then it's not matte.

How can I wear it matte but not have it clump up? Is that even possible?! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Valentina wrote: »
    I got a MAC Retro Matte Lipstick. The colour is gorgeous and when I first apply it, it looks great. But the wear off is really patchy and dries my lips badly. If I reapply more lipstick it starts to pill/clump on my lips and on the bullet.

My lips are not dry at all so I can't understand why the lipstick is clumping up like that. I have tried layering it over balm but then it's not matte.

How can I wear it matte but not have it clump up? Is that even possible?! :o

I do find they are a lot of work but they last well on me and I find them quite comfortable.

I basically apply a tiny bit at a time; they're pigmented enough that I can apply one thin layer and that's fine - and I always have to scrape the excess off on the tube before applying. If I need more I let it dry first and then apply more.

Maybe that's matte liquid lipsticks 101 but i have no problems with them! Do persevere, I love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

misslt wrote: »
    I do find they are a lot of work but they last well on me and I find them quite comfortable.

I basically apply a tiny bit at a time; they're pigmented enough that I can apply one thin layer and that's fine - and I always have to scrape the excess off on the tube before applying. If I need more I let it dry first and then apply more.

Maybe that's matte liquid lipsticks 101 but i have no problems with them! Do persevere, I love them :)

Thanks for your reply :)

It's not the liquid lipsticks I have though, it's the ordinary tube lipstick. Link.

I don't want to give up on it as I love the colour and I love the matte look but we don't seem to work together. Ugh! All other matte liquids/lipsticks I have are fine.

Forgot to say in my OP, I have tried it both with and without liner but it still clumps up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Have you tried applying it with a brush instead of straight from the tube? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I feel your pain... I love the retro matte shades but find it turns bitty and wears unevenly if that makes sense. I tend to apply with a brush and use as little as possible which helps a bit but i usually have to take off and start fresh after a few hours. If you're looking for a matte lip balm I can reccomend luxe reve de miel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

maybe try exfoliating your lips with an old toothbrush in the morning and ensure that you're looking after them generally.

I dont wear matte, but I did buy a little Hawaiian tropic spf 30 lip balm in penneys the other day (impulse buy at the tills) and there is no shine or gloss from it yet it feels moisturizing, and I was able to use my regular lipstick over it without it feeling like too much product. Could something like that underneath help it last longer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Make sure lips are completely smooth, apply a primer. Use a lipbrush and some duraline from Inglot to apply. It'll be perfect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use the Mac lip primer with matte lipsticks, it's a brilliant product. I recently got one for my pal for her birthday as she had just got Ruby Woo lippie but felt it had to be dragged on, so to speak. She loves it!

Thanks for the advice. I will get a primer and try that.

My lips are definitely not dry. I exfoliate them and wear lip balm regularly.

It's like the lipstick itself is too dry, crumbing up when I apply it. I hope the primer sorts it out!

Apply it with duraline

Apply it with duraline

How are you using the duraline?

Dip the brush in it and run it along the bullet?

• Advertisement

No drop out a bit of the duraline on a palete, scrape off a tiny bit of the lipstick, mix on the palette and apply with a brush.

No drop out a bit of the duraline on a palete, scrape off a tiny bit of the lipstick, mix on the palette and apply with a brush.

Ah okay.

I will try this, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Another vote for the MAC Prep+Prime Lip, it's well worth it. I find it makes matte lipsticks easier to apply and more comfortable to wear.

I tried Lexi's method with the duraline. The colour went on beautifully, opaque and creamy but dried matte. Felt really comfortable on my lips and didn't clump at all.

Not sure how I would replicate this on a night out though when I need to reapply so I might have to get the primer anyway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Just pitching in here - I've been using the duraline for all my matte lipsticks since I read this - complete game changer, thanks Lexie!

misslt wrote: »
    Just pitching in here - I've been using the duraline for all my matte lipsticks since I read this - complete game changer, thanks Lexie!

Isn't it great? Mattes have never felt so creamy and comfortable. Thanks Lexie!

Advertisement