Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arch under Charlotte Quay

• 12-06-2016 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all, was collecting someone from Barrington's the other day and as we walked back along george's quay I noticed an arch on the opposite bank of the Abbey River.

Does anyone know what is there for? I'd presumed it was storm drain outlet or something but it seems rather large for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

That the entrance to the turtles lair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi all, was collecting someone from Barrington's the other day and as we walked back along george's quay I noticed an arch on the opposite bank of the Abbey River.

Does anyone know what is there for? I'd presumed it was storm drain outlet or something but it seems rather large for that?

There are tunnels all under the city you know. It's quite fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Limerick City council have some building plans paper work for the area from 1836. Check out the Main Sewer paragraph.

www.limerickcity.ie/media/docks%20029.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Limerick City council have some building plans paper work for the area from 1836. Check out the Main Sewer paragraph.

www.limerickcity.ie/media/docks%20029.pdf

Thanks, that's marvellous to read!. I'll investigate further now I have a starting point! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

There are tunnels all under the city you know. It's quite fascinating.

iirc wasn't there a section filled in somewhere in the last couple of years :( , I'm almost certain I saw it mentioned somewhere before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

geotrig wrote: »
    iirc wasn't there a section filled in somewhere in the last couple of years :( , I'm almost certain I saw it mentioned somewhere before.

The underground cellars around William Street if I remember rightly. You see them in the underground of Au Bars (and the Copper Rooms I think?)

Most other European cities would make features of these (Paris & Stockholm are two I've been to that turned them into restaurants/bars/galleries)... we fill 'em in :mad:

leakyboots wrote: »
    The underground cellars around William Street if I remember rightly. You see them in the underground of Au Bars (and the Copper Rooms I think?)

Most other European cities would make features of these (Paris & Stockholm are two I've been to that turned them into restaurants/bars/galleries)... we fill 'em in :mad:

There are coal cellars underneath some of the footpaths in the Georgian quarter. Some of the access hatches are still visible up the right hand side of O'Connell Street. Square foot-ish metal plates.

Hoping that bomb shelter under the Old Town Hall, Rutland Street will be available to the Open House people at some point. Heard it'd require a good air out and pest control before tours are allowed in.

The Post visited the bomb shelter last year.

Article link: http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/04/16/inside-limericks-nuclear-war-bunker/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

geotrig wrote: »

We had a big argument on this forum a few years ago after the ones on William Street were filled in. I think Bock The Robber highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure I disagreed with his point at the time, but after seeing the Copper Room I'd have to take the other side of the debate these days. :o There was potential in those cellars that I didn't appreciate at all a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

I love the idea of a nuclear bomb shelter in Limerick that has been infiltrated by pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

An File wrote: »
    We had a big argument on this forum a few years ago after the ones on William Street were filled in. I think Bock The Robber highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure I disagreed with his point at the time, but after seeing the Copper Room I'd have to take the other side of the debate these days. :o There was potential in those cellars that I didn't appreciate at all a few years ago.

Take a trip to some old European cities and you'll see they have very few cars or other vehicles in the city centre, the streets are attractive and full of people, the buildings, are all renovated and are popular cafés, restaurants, museums, galleries, the basements are the most attractive feature too.

Could Limerick be this? Yes, it definitely could. The built fabric in our historic city may be mostly crumbling, and many people say it's easier to knock and build anew, but most other European cities would be envious of what we have. Really, the best solution is to get the cars out, renovate and turn our city into a popular tourist attraction. The likes of the Copper Rooms could be replicated a 100 times over, at least.

Advertisement