Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking - sharing - file permissions

Options
  • 12-06-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am relatively new to computer networking - so a step by step guide for an answer to my query would be very gratefully appreciated.

So, here's the setup...I have two laptops. One in running windows 7 professional...the other windows 10.

I create a file. I can successfully connect the two computers together (lets call them comp1 and comp2), network them, share the file and set an access permission on the file so that comp1 (the sharing computer) has full access and comp2 has only read access. That part is no problem.

I am doing this by giving the user group (HomeUsers) only read access to the file...and the user group (Administrator) full access.

But here's the problem. Eventually, there could be 3 or more computers connected together. I want to network them so that if there were 3 computers (comp1, comp2 and comp3) and comp1 was to share a file...comp1 could give read and write access to comp2 and only read access to comp3.

The problem, that I can see, with what I want is that if I set permissions on the user group (HomeUsers) that just allow read access on the file...all computers (comp2 and comp3) will onl have read access. I want the computers to have different access rights. How do I do this?

Thank you (in advance) for your replies.

djt0607

To explain further:

If there is a big network (lets say in Microsoft)...there are Managers, Software Engineers, Directors, etc. The managers can read, write, etc certain files on the network. The SE could only read/write some of the files, if any. The Directors would have different access rights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the fact that you took the time and energy to reply to my query.

However, 3 computers is as big as the network is going to be and, to me, this is not a big network at all. The concept of a domain controller is a new one to me. As I mentioned, I am relatively new to this so introducing a new concept without any steps to follow is difficult for me.

Furthermore, the network I wish to setup will contain no server - just 3 computers. The 3 computers share files. But the access rights given to one computer for the files would be different to the rights given to another computer. This is what I want to do.

Thanks again for our reply though. :)

djt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

djt0607 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the fact that you took the time and energy to reply to my query.

However, 3 computers is as big as the network is going to be and, to me, this is not a big network at all. The concept of a domain controller is a new one to me. As I mentioned, I am relatively new to this so introducing a new concept without any steps to follow is difficult for me.

Furthermore, the network I wish to setup will contain no server - just 3 computers. The 3 computers share files. But the access rights given to one computer for the files would be different to the rights given to another computer. This is what I want to do.

Thanks again for our reply though. :)

djt

As above by mass_debater in simplified language
    NTFS permissions on file share. Takes more time to set but allow to set permissions per user no matter what computer them log on.
    You gonna need to create all users accounts (from three PC's) on your file share PC. Once you share file or folder you can set different permissions per user per file/folder. Have not done that long time so cant remember all details but will see if get some links for you.
    This site full of info
    http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson1/

Advertisement