Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trojan virus detection:

Options
  • 12-06-2016 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I accidentally visited a dodgy website after clicking on a link designed to mislead people with one misplaced letter. The website was impersonating a well-known news outlet.
    Like baords.ie instead of boards.ie.
    The wifi on my machine went down and it acted really slowly with a lot of lag. I reset it and turned it back on.
    It's behaving fine now, but I'm worried I may have contracted a virus.
    If this is a trojan virus does that mean it is invisible to my McAffee scanner (just like Homer and the Horse Of Troy).
    Should I just restore laptop to a previous point, like 24 hours ago or something?

Thanks Everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may be totally clear, but if you want to be safe an "Offline Scan" with something like a Kaspersky Rescue disk will find any rootkits that are invisible to your antivirus.

Really though its not Trojans that are the big danger now but Crypto-Locker clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Malware bytes will do the job too, it has a free trial so you can get rid of it without paying. Good program, would recommend it.

Advertisement