Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QEs? MEs? QAT?

Options
  • 12-06-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

I looked through topic groups and chose H&H as the most relevant for my question, but if there's a better place to ask, apologies and feel free to move the thread.

In the Wikipedia article on Mangerton Mountain (can't paste the URL, new user) we read:

The far northern slope of Mangerton was the site of a battle in 1262 between the Mac Cárthaigh (QEs) and FitzGeralds (MEs).[1] The battle-site is known as Tooreencormick[3] (from Tuairín Cormaic meaning "little field of Cormac") after Cormac MacCárthaigh, who was killed during the clash.[1] The battle is considered a QAT failure however because the Normans were kept out of the region.

And if I don't learn what on earth the acronyms QEs, MEs and QAT stand for, I won't be able to sleep tonight! Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think it could be just a wikipedia editing issue, have a look at an older version of the page and it makes more sense https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mangerton_Mountain&oldid=692870690

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rodia77

Hah, good find, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Wiki is less than accurate on the event and Anglo-Normans in Kerry – even if Cormac was killed, Mangerton (1263) was more of a skirmish and it was a sequel to the much more important battle of Callann the previous year.

In 1214 a war broke out between two McCarthy kinsmen and it provoked the settlement of Kerry by the Anglo-Normans. The Carews erected a castle at Ardtully near Kilgarvan, (later the home of the Orpen family) and the Fitz Geralds built at Dunloe and Killorglin. Others were the Fitz Maurices at Molahiffe, and the Roches who erected a Castle on the Lower Lake of Killarney. While loyal to the Crown, the Norman families intermarried with the Irish ruling families and many of the latter joined forces with the English monarch to retain their old lands.

MacCarthaigh’s Book - A MCB1262.2
    William de Dene, Justiciar of Ireland, Clann Ghearailt, Mac Risdeard, and a very large force of Galls, together with Domhnall Ruadh son of Cormac Fionn Mac Carthaigh and all the Irish he could get, went to Tuath Cinn Mhara. Defeat and slaughter [were inflicted] on them at Callann Gleanna Ó Ruachtaigh, and John son of Thomas FitzGerald, seneschal of Munster, Sir Maurice, his son, and many of the other knights, together with many of the Galls and of the Irish, were killed.

More accurately the location is Callan Glen between Ardtully Castle and Kilgarvan. It was the deaths of the Geraldines at this battle that broke the power of the Normans. An old manuscript on the period states “The Carties plaied the divells in Desmond.” –

The Irish had finally learned how to fight armoured knights on horseback, choosing boggy terrain.

Advertisement