Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 downloaded, can't start PC

Options
  • 12-06-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Windows has downloaded onto my laptop.

Since then, when I power up my laptop a blue window logo appears on the black screen and there's a little spinning circle as if Windows 10 is starting up.

However the spinning circle soon disappears and nothing happens with the screen remaining black.

What to do...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Possom1 wrote: »
    Windows has downloaded onto my laptop.

Since then, when I power up my laptop a blue window logo appears on the black screen and there's a little spinning circle as if Windows 10 is starting up.

However the spinning circle soon disappears and nothing happens with the screen remaining black.

What to do...?
    Yet another victim of W10. Hope you have backed up your most valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Possom1

I've found this page which refers to the same problem:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-black-screen-problems

The info there states, "You will need Windows 10 Installation Media.". From this link:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade
    "To download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool, visit Microsoft.com and scroll down till you see two purple Download Tool Now buttons."

Would anyone happen to know where the two purple buttons are which they refer to as I can't seem to locate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Possom1 wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to know where the two purple buttons are which they refer to as I can't seem to locate them.

Not sure about purple buttons but there is the big blue "Download tool now" which I'm sure is the one you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

With all the supposed consumer rights, and Microsoft already having been done for anti-competitive practices before, you'd really wonder how this situation has been allowed to evolve. Surely giving away their Windows 10 operating system is just the same as the way they gave away Internet Explorer (to kill Netscape).

With regard to the problem, I've had to roll back the operating system on about six machines, but none crashed. Good few things up on youtube though, I would go through those before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is your mouse cursor visible and can you move it?

I saw this issue on win 7 laptop update to win 10 the difference in my issue was it booted eventually just took like 5 minutes.

Once it booted i researched the problem and found it was common
    and the fix was to
    Open regedit and click the Edit button at the top of the screen, then click on Find. Type "EnableULPS" and click "Find Next". EnableULPS will be highlighted in the list of registry options.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403760/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-slow-boot-bug

Are you waiting long enough?
    Will it boot eventually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Possom1

No I can't see the mouse cursor.

However, if I do as instructed on the Youtube film above, powering off the laptop just as windows begins to load, then I do get the screen as shown at 2:25 and the following screens, and the cursor works here to select these.

Can the regedit which you mention be accessed from the Advanced Options or from the safemode?

Advertisement