Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fairweather cyclists of the world unite

Options
  • 12-06-2016 9:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i don't enjoy cycling in the rain. there. i said it. but i haven't been out on the bike since wednesday - partly due to other commitments, and partly due to the weather.

what would be the items i'd need/things to bear in mind, to deal with cycling in the wet that don't crop up if you're kitted out for cycling in the dry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

You haven't been out since Wednesday? You don't realise how lucky you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you don't have any sort of mudguards then gritty spray from your arse to the top of your head is the biggest problem IMHO ... and my personal hate is getting my shoes manky ... so wear overshoes most of the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Phone, money (and car key if applicable) in a zip lock bag or resealable bag.
    I have a packable rain jacket as well. Came in particularly useful during my cycle yesterday.
    No need to drink water, just open your mouth, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I slightly dislike summer cycling, I love winter foul weather cycling.

There, I said it.

I'm a ginger.

Way too much crap involved before heading out on the bike during summer IMO.

I'm thinking I am in the minority here...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't mind but i set the alarm for 6am on fri morning, looked at the rainfall radar and went back to sleep. and the rain never reached us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Can't beat a drop of rain....too much vitamin D will give you cancer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Punctures.
    what causes punctures in the wet? reduced visibility in the rain?

i wouldn't mind, but i used to cycle from blanchardstown to leopardstown 14 years ago for my work commute and would boast that the rain didn't bother me, but the wind would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

what causes punctures in the wet?

Glass rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Advertisement

what causes punctures in the wet?
    Crap sticks to the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Overshoes without a doubt, my feet got soaked on the commute home on Friday and my shoes weren't quite dry by the time I left for work Saturday. Got soaked too on the way home Saturday.
    Wore the neoprene overshoes on the way in this morning, bone dry feet when I landed in work. Wet clothes I can deal with, soggy/squelchy socks I just can't!

Everything else will dry quick enough (or keep spares in work, home, anywhere else you can think of). Needless to say my "work" overshoes were at home both those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The worst thing about getting punctures in the wet is standing at the side of the road getting cold while replacing a tube.

I managed to avoid today's showers but then I got a puncture and right on cue, the heavens opened. Lovely.

brianomc wrote: »
    Overshoes without a doubt, my feet got soaked on the commute home on Friday and my shoes weren't quite dry by the time I left for work Saturday.
    when i was commuting, the one thing i would do in the wet was get myself soaked as soon as possible. because the wet clothes i was wearing - once they had warmed up - would act as a barrier in a sense to fresh cold water. but yeah, i was familiar with donning wet clothes from time to time.

that said, where i work now has a drying room. they boxed off one of the outlets from the air conditioning, so you can leave your wet cycle gear up to hang and by the evening, they're dry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what causes punctures in the wet? reduced visibility in the rain?....
    I was just remarking to a fellow club member on the WW200 today about the excessive number of cyclists getting punctures. He claimed that the rubber gets a bit weaker when wet and is more susceptible to penetration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Heavy rain washes crap onto the road.
    Wet tyres are softer/easier to penetrate
    Water acts as a lubricant and assists items to penetrate soft tyres.
    Under inflated tyres puncture easier when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

i don't enjoy cycling in the rain. there. i said it. but i haven't been out on the bike since wednesday - partly due to other commitments, and partly due to the weather.

what would be the items i'd need/things to bear in mind, to deal with cycling in the wet that don't crop up if you're kitted out for cycling in the dry?

Depends - I sweat (a lot) so I wear stuff to keep the wind off and keep me warm, rather than keeping dry.

thermal/compression top under ss club top, 3/4 bib tights, gilet if windy and pearl izumi wonter gloves and winter socks with over shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

brianomc wrote: »
    Wet clothes I can deal with, soggy/squelchy socks I just can't!

Sandals ftw...
    shimano-sandal-shsd65.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Front mudflaps really make a difference. Getting them tricky; getting nice-looking ones even trickier. My home-made ones (milk jug cut up) aren't pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I don't mind the rain as I've enough decent gear to keep warm (keeping dry is never going to happen), but I'm not so keen on riding in the wind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I was just remarking to a fellow club member on the WW200 today about the excessive number of cyclists getting punctures. He claimed that the rubber gets a bit weaker when wet and is more susceptible to penetration.

Got one myself yesterday, which on inspection was a blackthorn from a trimmed hedge. Bugger to get out of the tyre without a pliers, ended up using my teeth which may have looked a bit bizarre to those passing. Inspecting the tyre I found two more which were thankfully easier to remove. Seemed like there was someone fixing a puncture every couple of hundred metres.

As for cycling in the wet in summer, I quite like it. Outside of what's been said in terms of preparation, if it is sunny and rainy, don't put any sun cream over your eyebrow area as is stings like feck when the rain washes it into your eyes. Peaked cap is also handy if you wear specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

smacl wrote: »
    Bugger to get out of the tyre without a pliers, ended up using my teeth which may have looked a bit bizarre to those passing.

Passersby might have thought you were practising for a shot at Michel Lotito's record (18 is the score to beat).

smacl wrote: »
    Got one myself yesterday, which on inspection was a blackthorn from a trimmed hedge.
    it's illegal to trim hedges this time of year. was it done for the safety of the cyclists, i wonder?
    if so, that sounds like a spectacular backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

what causes punctures in the wet? reduced visibility in the rain?

Firstly it's almost impossible to see, and therefore avoid, glass on a wet road.

The second big factor is that the moisture acts as a lubricant and helps debris to penetrate further into the tyre than it might if it was dry.

But look on the bright side; it's easier to find the puncture on a wet tube than a dry one - just look for the air bubbles!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

it's illegal to trim hedges this time of year. was it done for the safety of the cyclists, i wonder?
    if so, that sounds like a spectacular backfire.

No it's too do with nesting birds. You can still cut hedges for certain agricultural purposes, and the council's trim ditches still too when the road is getting overgrown (less than they should in many places)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

nee wrote: »
    No it's too do with nesting birds. You can still cut hedges for certain agricultural purposes, and the council's trim ditches still too when the road is getting overgrown (less than they should in many places)

I know that local authorities will cut hedges on an ad hoc basis whenever they consider them to interfere with sight lines on dangerous corners, which is no bad thing. The odd puncture as a result is just part of rural cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Moflojo wrote: »
    Firstly it's almost impossible to see, and therefore avoid, glass on a wet road.

The second big factor is that the moisture acts as a lubricant and helps debris to penetrate further into the tyre than it might if it was dry!

Also potholes (particularly on the Rock Road!!) fill up with water and are much harder to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moflojo wrote: »
    Firstly it's almost impossible to see, and therefore avoid, glass on a wet road....
    If you can see the glass, it's unlikely to cause a puncture. It the tiny fragments that are the size of a grain of sand, which you won't see regardless of conditions, which become embedded in the tyre and cause punctures.

If you can see the glass, it's unlikely to cause a puncture. It the tiny fragments that are the size of a grain of sand, which you won't see regardless of conditions, which become embedded in the tyre and cause punctures.
    That's true, but I'd imagine there's a good chance of finding small bits of glass near big bits of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Most important tip imo is not to wear "wet gear".

Shorts/tights and a cycling top are not uncomfortable when wet, surrounding yourself with an impermeable layer of plastic is. Would rather be wet with rain than damp with sweat.

It is warm enough that being wet does not mean being cold and miserable. I quite enjoy cycling in lashing rain when i am not cold. Once you are soaked through the rain ceases to be an issue.

Different in winter ofc, then a rain jacket is a good idea at least. I still don['t wear rain trousers though, would rather just let my tights get wet.

Advertisement