Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fairweather cyclists of the world unite

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Fian wrote: »
    Most important tip imo is not to wear "wet gear".

Shorts/tights and a cycling top are not uncomfortable when wet, surrounding yourself with an impermeable layer of plastic is. Would rather be wet with rain than damp with sweat.

Couldn't agree more .... wet is fine as long as you're not cold too! Got soaked to the skin on the MTB on Saturday and again on this mornings commute but still didn't envy the guys in their waterproof trousers and heavy rain jackets! "Light and Fast" is best IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Once you've got the clothing and overshoes ticked so you're not cold; the next most useful item in the rain is a simple cycling cap. The peak has the psychological effect of keeping you out of the rain, even though you're clearly still out in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm ok with wet gear. I have it with me at all times anyway, as I'm usually walking when I'm not cycling, so I just have very light rain gear (trousers, very light rain coat and rain hat) that keeps you dry through a shower, and keeps you warmish when you really get wet. I keep a spare top in my pannier in a large sandwich bag for when I really get wet.

I've never worn cycling-specific clothing, and I very probably am not going to start, so I do need something that goes over "normal" clothes.

Wet shoes used to be a problem, but hiking shoes and a front mudflap took care of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm ok with wet gear.

Problem is if you're a sweaty type like myself, you get just as wet in the wet gear with the added bonus of being smellier too. Even the breathable stuff isn't that breathable on a warm rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, the spare top does often get called into service, even when I don't get that rained on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Heavy rain washes crap onto the road.
    Wet tyres are softer/easier to penetrate
    Water acts as a lubricant and assists items to penetrate soft tyres.
    Under inflated tyres puncture easier when wet.

I feel like I jinxed myself by reading this yesterday. Picked up a puncture on the conmute this morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've had 2 puntures this week to add to my miserable month for tyres and tubes. I've used 2 tyres and 3 tubes on 2 bikes so far in the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I feel like I jinxed myself by reading this yesterday. Picked up a puncture on the conmute this morning. :(

Buy a new Bike! You'll feel much, much better! :p

Advertisement