Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sociopaths

• 12-06-2016 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Sociopaths, ever met one or are you even one yourself?
    The first one I ever met was my own father, it took me years to realise it; but I am in no doubt that is what he is. I can see many of those character traits in both my sister and I.
    The funny thing is, our mother also came to that conclusion herself; but actually finds it attractive in a man. 50 years of marriage and they wouldn't have it any other way.
    I used to think he was driven from insecurity, and yearning to go from rags to riches. But doing the work of 2 men in his life has taken its toll on his health, so success came at a price. The other cost was cultivating new friendships over the years but never maintaining them. So there he is, 71 years old, a millionaire loner, with only my mother and his grandchildren for company really.
    He has mellowed from 50-70 a lot, but the sociopath traits never left him. He is always looking to control, and sees people as obstacles to climb over and get what is due to him.
    I suppose I am a sociopath myself, and certainly in my career it was easy to hide. It was both a curse and a gift at times though; being ruthless and lacking empathy.
    A girlfriend once told me I was the kind of man that could shoot someone stone dead and carry on eating my dinner as if nothing had happened.
    I knew then that I was a sociopath like my father, maybe it is in the genes.
    And like my mother is attracted to it in my father, she was attracted to it in I.
    So is it something women find attractive in men? The ruthless and controlling nature?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

No, I would not be attracted that in a person at all.

Different people have different attractions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They are everywhere and like you, OP, I've had a few very close family members so I can spot them a mile away and run like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

poa wrote: »
    Sociopaths, ever met one or are you even one yourself?
    The first one I ever met was my own father, it took me years to realise it; but I am in no doubt that is what he is. I can see many of those character traits in both my sister and I.
    The funny thing is, our mother also came to that conclusion herself; but actually finds it attractive in a man. 50 years of marriage and they wouldn't have it any other way.
    I used to think he was driven from insecurity, and yearning to go from rags to riches. But doing the work of 2 men in his life has taken its toll on his health, so success came at a price. The other cost was cultivating new friendships over the years but never maintaining them. So there he is, 71 years old, a millionaire loner, with only my mother and his grandchildren for company really.
    He has mellowed from 50-70 a lot, but the sociopath traits never left him. He is always looking to control, and sees people as obstacles to climb over and get what is due to him.
    I suppose I am a sociopath myself, and certainly in my career it was easy to hide. It was both a curse and a gift at times though; being ruthless and lacking empathy.
    A girlfriend once told me I was the kind of man that could shoot someone stone dead and carry on eating my dinner as if nothing had happened.
    I knew then that I was a sociopath like my father, maybe it is in the genes.
    And like my mother is attracted to it in my father, she was attracted to it in I.
    So is it something women find attractive in men? The ruthless and controlling nature?

I'm always impressed by people who can diagnose themselves and others with these types of conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

bluewolf wrote: »
    Different people have different attractions

That is very true.
    I know a woman who throughout her life has had failed relationship after failed relationship with bad boy types. Criminals in and out of jail etc.
    She never learns. Intelligent, good looking, well-educated, from a good family background; and yet she chooses to date the worst of men.
    So I asked her why do you go for these types when you know it cannot work?
    Is it the challenge of trying to change his ways or something?
    She told me nice boys just don't turn her on at all.
    She is only attracted to the bad boy types as its a thrill; they are dangerous and exciting.
    A case of heart ruling ones head I suppose; but that is the reality. People are often attracted to opposites, or even the wrong type.
    I have found women mistook my character traits for confidence and dominance; and these things attracted them.
    Often women are looking for traits which their own father has; so if he was dominant or confident they seek that in their own man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Sociopath - the polite psychiatric term for what ordinary people call an obnoxious boll0cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you think you're a sociopath and don't care it's probably a good indication you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes, I've known sociopaths, or as close as makes no difference, in my time. In my experience they were very successful with women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I have met lots of Sociopaths in the medical profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Often women are looking for traits which their own father has; so if he was dominant or confident they seek that in their own man.

I think that is true to an extent........but I want the traits my father gained after he had lost everything he had ever loved due to being a 'bad boy'.........when it was too late unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

?

<

I suspect one of my best friends in recent years has become a sociopath.

Completely devoid of empathy, no self awareness, has become an habitual lier.

I'm always impressed by people who can diagnose themselves and others with these types of conditions.

To be honest I didn't diagnose myself. I am no psychiatrist.
    My ex was a Doctor and she diagnosed it after years of observing my behaviour. Professionally in my career I don't think anyone knew as I was in a profession where one can be ruthless and controlling; lacking empathy. So it was seen as being good at the job. But of course unhealthy, and at 38 I knew my behaviour wasn't normal or sustainable at that level.
    Behaving in a psychotic or control freak way in the engine room of a company while intoxicated with power isn't good for all concerned.
    I had learned a lot of it from my father who worked his was up in a firm from apprentice to managing director of the company over 40 years.
    But rather than remembering he came from nothing, he trampled over the little people like ants. They were just numbers on a payroll to him, not human beings with wives and kids etc.
    My ex put up with it for far too many years really, partly due to her being attracted to it in men too much. But enough was enough and she realised that she couldn't change me, no more than I can.
    It was only after she diagnosed me, that I realised what my father was. I thought, now I know where I get it from; my traits are his traits.
    I don't know who is worse really? My sister seems to have it in her as well.
    Academic, and successful in her profession; but totally lacking in empathy.
    I thought I was cold and controlling, but I am like a sociopath-light version of her when it comes to controlling and dominant behaviour.
    I think that is why my father and sister both get on so well, as its like a meeting of minds.
    Ironically she doesn't see what she is at all, and will not admit it. I suppose some sociopaths know it, and some don't. In all cases we don't care though.
    I always find it intoxicating when I meet another one though, its rather like a battle of wits. They try to mirror and project as I do, in order to take control and dominate. There is a certain sharpness and spark in the conversation that one just doesn't get with normal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Yes, a significant amount of women seem to fall for the charming lying manipulative narcissist (guess who yours truly once fell for? :)) - as a woman, it's annoying when sweeping statements like "Women love bad boys" are made (by men and women) when lots don't and lots who did when younger but would run a mile from such a man when older (having learned their lesson) but it is a thing.

In the women's defence though (well some of them anyway) you don't plan to get suckered in by an arsehole (that was the case for me - thought he seemed lonely; that was his exact goal) but some women still, dismayingly, love a bad boy. Although I'd forgive very young women under 25 as they can often be silly - I know I sure was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think that is true to an extent........but I want the traits my father gained after he had lost everything he had ever loved due to being a 'bad boy'.........when it was too late unfortunately.

This post cuts pretty close to me too and curled my toes, tbh.

A friend of mine says that two things rise to the top in this life; the cream and the scum. Part of me is glad that treating people badly doesn't always pay off in the long run. I take no joy in this. I would have preferred things to have been better for everyone along the way. On the upside, it has taught me recognise the value of peace and sympathy to others.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I have met lots of Sociopaths in the medical profession.

I am curious about this, as my ex was a Doctor and said it's common.
    She was a registrar and said that nearly always consultants were sociopaths as that is what it took to get to that level. Being on the board of a health trust for example, one needs to make cold hard decisions that totally lack empathy.
    Apparently there is a high infidelity rate in the medical profession too. Long hours, often antisocial ones, working closely with people; its like the perfect storm. Consultants lord it over the student nurses and junior doctors; and use them for sexual gratification. My ex had any number of consultants pressuring her to have sex in return for a move up the career ladder when she was a junior doctor. I wonder if the same is the case in other professions such as law?
    My sister is a barrister but has never mentioned it goes on. I must ask her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Interestingly, one of the DSM criteria for Sociopaths, is the inability to press the enter button.

I am curious about this, as my ex was a Doctor and said it's common.
    She was a registrar and said that nearly always consultants were sociopaths as that is what it took to get to that level. Being on the board of a health trust for example, one needs to make cold hard decisions that totally lack empathy.
    Apparently there is a high infidelity rate in the medical profession too. Long hours, often antisocial ones, working closely with people; its like the perfect storm. Consultants lord it over the student nurses and junior doctors; and use them for sexual gratification. My ex had any number of consultants pressuring her to have sex in return for a move up the career ladder when she was a junior doctor. I wonder if the same is the case in other professions such as law?
    My sister is a barrister but has never mentioned it goes on. I must ask her.

I would have doubts about the veracity of much of this.

I work in a bank. I'd guess that half of my superiors are sociopaths. No joke.

Incredibly driven people, most of them bullies, who will do anything to get ahead, and have no manifest conscience in their ambition-filled heads.

They have a tunnel vision in reaching their goals, cannot maintain relationships (one of my managers, who earns in excess of 750k per year, eats alone in McDonalds most evenings)

Work tomorrow FML

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Incredibly driven people, most of them bullies, who will do anything to get ahead, and have no manifest conscience in their ambition-filled heads.

They have a tunnel vision in reaching their goals, cannot maintain relationships (one of my managers, who earns in excess of 750k per year, eats alone in McDonalds most evenings)

Work tomorrow FML

Nasty, I know exactly what you're on about. Worked in that type of environment myself and had to duck out.

But corporate culture and structure encourages it, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Don't know that word...continue

cantdecide wrote: »
    This post cuts pretty close to me too and curled my toes, tbh.

A friend of mine says that two things rise to the top in this life; the cream and the scum. Part of me is glad that treating people badly doesn't always pay off in the long run. I take no joy in this. I would have preferred things to have been better for everyone along the way. On the upside, it has taught me recognise the value of peace and sympathy to others.

The cream and scum saying is a good one, I must remember that one.
    I agree with you, it's better to rise to the top via honest means, rather than dishonest.
    But sadly I think the reality in many professions; is that the top man or woman in a firm is a sociopath that lacks empathy. A sociopath that wants to be control, and have power over others; by any means.
    Duncan Bannatyne for example. A self made multi-millionaire, who pays his health club staff minimum wage and treats them poorly by all accounts. They are just numbers to him, not human beings.
    The question is, right or wrong; in order to be Sir Alan Sugar etc, does one have to be a sociopath in nature? More often than not I think CEO's and managing directors are. Making 100 redundant on a Monday morning and feeling nothing about it for example; they are cut out for that cold decision making, they make the hard calls.
    I have often thought politicians are the classic example of a sociopath. Power is their drug, and they will do whatever it takes to get more of it. Lying to get votes etc. Its in their nature to do what ever it takes to gain popularity.
    I wonder if both men and women get used by sociopath partners? Or are their more male ones than females?

Work tomorrow FML

I think above all; the banking profession is a breeding ground for sociopaths.
    They may well exist and do well in other professions such as medicine, government, and law. But bankers often exhibit the classic sociopathic traits; lack of empathy, ruthlessness, power hungry, and controlling.
    Cold hard b.astards who will stop at nothing to gain more. The women are a rare breed in themselves. Like Margaret Thatcher types. Really masculine and aggressive to compete with the boys in a male dominated profession.
    I have met some very hard women in the banking profession over the years; there is a certain arrogance and coldness about them.
    One sticks out in my mind. On a date she told me she worked for Deloitte. And then spent one hour trying to indoctrinate me with her belief that she was one of the special ones, and in a different league to others. Its bred into them from day one. They live, breath, eat, sleep, work, dream, s.hit; power over weaker ones. Maximum ruthlessness is their minimum.
    I say this as a sociopath myself, but that one even made me feel anxious. A very cold and dangerous woman to get involved with.
    She was the kind of woman, that could have an abortion in her lunch hour then be back at her desk and carry on firing staff as if nothing had happened.
    That is how cold I am talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Two Tone wrote: »
    thought he seemed lonely; that was his exact goal) but some women still, dismayingly, love a bad boy.

Good chance he was actually lonely I'd say. But they lie with such facility that it ultimately becomes impossible to distinguish between what's true and false.

daRobot wrote: »
    Interestingly, one of the DSM criteria for Sociopaths, is the inability to press the enter button.

Interestingly a lack of appreciation for the sub-paragraph means one is not a sociopath.
    We have a distinct style of typing as you have realised. Pressing the enter button frequently just doesn't cut it for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'm probably a sociopath.

I can take or leave people and interacting with them is a drain on me. I don't really have friends because i don't see how they are advantageous to me. I have pretty much zero empathy for sob stories and tales of hardship and think that people are far too self-pitying and soft nowadays.

I like money more than people because i can't buy fun **** with friends. I'll lie to people just to get them to leave me alone and go away or to get something off of them that i need.

My default position is to dislike someone the first time i meet them and then wait for them to impress me for them to be worth my while. I've encountered maybe 3 people in 33 years that have been worth my while. Two were exactly like me so we could talk and the other was so unusual in her thinking that she intrigued me more than anything else.

Candie wrote: »
    I would have doubts about the veracity of much of this.

When it comes to divorce rates; the medical profession ranks quite high. Its very telling.

http://lexfridman.com/blogs/thoughts/2012/04/14/divorce-rates-by-profession/

lawlolawl wrote: »

I can take or leave people and interacting with them is a drain on me. I don't really have friends because i don't see how they are advantageous to me. I have pretty much zero empathy for sob stories and tales of hardship and think that people are far too self-pitying and soft nowadays.

I like money more than people because i can't buy fun **** with friends. I'll lie to people just to get them to leave me alone and go away or to get something off of them that i need.

My default position is to dislike someone the first time i meet them and then wait for them to impress me for them to be worth my while. I've encountered maybe 3 people in 33 years that have been worth my while. Two were exactly like me so we could talk and the other was so unusual in her thinking that she intrigued me more than anything else.

I am no psychiatrist, but suffice it to say; welcome to the club my friend.
    You exhibit the classic traits indeed. Both a curse and a gift at times.
    I have to admit, when meeting someone new I am thinking what purpose or use they will be to me? If it's little or no use; then I quickly move on to fresh meat to sink my teeth into.

Wait a minute! Are you the Banoffee pie guy?

Have you changed your mind about being a modern-day Libertine in favour of being a psychopath? Anti-social personality disorder sounds much less glamorous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have met Richard Boyd Barrett. ****ing Psycho

I'd love some banoffee

I can take or leave people and interacting with them is a drain on me. I don't really have friends because i don't see how they are advantageous to me.
    Sounds pretty sociopathic alright.

Reminds me of another colleague I worked with.

When he started working in the bank, he abandoned his student loan, thereby forcing his parents to repay it as guarantors. He thereafter cut-off all contact with his family, and would boast about how easy he found it to cut people out of his life.

I thought he must be secretly depressed or something, and tried to befriend him. He once yelled at me during an argument "don't argue with me, I can cut anyone out of my life without a second thought", and eventually, that's exactly what he did with our friendhsip.

Sometimes I bumped into him in an elevator or on the stairs, and he didn't even have the emotional interest to insult me. Whereas most people are angry when they meet an ex friend, he was completely oblivious/ uninterested to that feeling.

Like I said, I initially thought he was depressed. He wasn't. He never showed any signs of unhappiness.

I'm sure he was an alcoholic, he certainly experimented heavily with drugs, but I'm sure that was part of his sense of feeling invincible more than anything else. Neither drugs nor drink have slowed him down, his career is absolutely flying.

I have a weird respect for sociopaths, but it also angers me that we have created the kind of world where they are often well-rewarded for their twisted worldview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I am no psychiatrist, but suffice it to say; welcome to the club my friend.
    You exhibit the classic traits indeed. Both a curse and a gift at times.
    I have to admit, when meeting someone new I am thinking what purpose or use they will be to me? If it's little or no use; then I quickly move on to fresh meat to sink my teeth into.

Is it Possible for you to be hurt by the cations of others? If some one Rejected you, would you feel hurt in any way?

Do you admire anyone?

Sorry for the qts but I'm finding the points you raise to be fascinating.

I know 2 different guys who I think are psychopaths. But their wives adore them to the moon And back. They can charm their way out of any situation and would sleep with anyone at all. If they decide they want someone they wil literally charm their way into bed (or back if car). . Then it's over. No feelings at all.

My husbAnds mother is very cruel and callous. She only has time for the children she can control. I've always thought she was a narcissist but maybe it's more than that.

Sounds pretty sociopathic alright.

Reminds me of another colleague I worked with.

When he started working in the bank, he abandoned his student loan, thereby forcing his parents to repay it as guarantors. He thereafter cut-off all contact with his family, and would boast about how easy he found it to cut people out of his life.

I thought he must be secretly depressed or something, and tried to befriend him. He once yelled at me during an argument "don't argue with me, I can cut anyone out of my life without a second thought", and eventually, that's exactly what he did with our friendhsip.

Sometimes I bumped into him in an elevator or on the stairs, and he didn't even have the emotional interest to insult me. Whereas most people are angry when they meet an ex friend, he was completely oblivious/ uninterested to that feeling.

Like I said, I initially thought he was depressed. He wasn't. He never showed any signs of unhappiness.

I'm sure he was an alcoholic, he certainly experimented heavily with drugs, but I'm sure that was part of his sense of feeling invincible more than anything else. Neither drugs nor drink have slowed him down, his career is absolutely flying.

I have a weird respect for sociopaths, but it also angers me that we have created the kind of world where they are often well-rewarded for their twisted worldview.

Sickening behaviour.
    I would express my empathy only I don't.
    That was like reading about myself to be honest with you. I cut both my parents off 16 years ago for example.
    I won't bore you with my drink and drugs consumption over the years as its well documented in other threads on here. But it seems to be something sociopaths do, fill the vacuum of lack of relationships with drink/drugs/sex/gambling etc.
    Being successful in work masks it all well. Women like men that do well, and that makes them turn a blind eye to the controlling and dominant nature of them before they are cut off.
    I can cultivate new friends like its a gift. Maintaining long term relationships or friendships is impossible on the other hand. Sociopaths feel weakened and vulnerable if we let anyone get too close. Cutting them off is the only way to establish our control again you see, it's very unhealthy and I abhor that I do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I like money more than people because i can't buy fun **** with friends. I'll lie to people just to get them to leave me alone and go away or to get something off of them that i want.

I'm fAirness 99% of people are like/similar to that tbf....empathy is only something you develop as you get older and know people who've been in similar situations to any sad stories you hear

I personally could take or leave most people/don't get overly attached to anyone and I'm not a sociopath ffs.

.....I do find people's sheer want for money amazing...as no matter how much you have...someone else will always have more

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd love some banoffee

Some libertine, amoral banoffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Good chance he was actually lonely I'd say.
    Actually that was a typo - I meant to write "lovely". :)
    (Cannot edit posts at the moment on this new account).
    But they lie with such facility that it ultimately becomes impossible to distinguish between what's true and false.
    Typo or not typo, that is very much applicable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is it more prevalent in men than women?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

I'm only 70% sociopath according to this test.....

http://illnessquiz.com/sociopath-test/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pc7 wrote: »
    Is it more prevalent in men than women?

Its more prevalent in new accounts anyway

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Is it Possible for you to be hurt by the cations of others? If some one Rejected you, would you feel hurt in any way?

Do you admire anyone?

Sorry for the qts but I'm finding the points you raise to be fascinating.

I know 2 different guys who I think are psychopaths. But their wives adore them to the moon And back. They can charm their way out of any situation and would sleep with anyone at all. If they decide they want someone they wil literally charm their way into bed (or back if car). . Then it's over. No feelings at all.

My husbAnds mother is very cruel and callous. She only has time for the children she can control. I've always thought she was a narcissist but maybe it's more than that.

I can explain how it feels very well.
    Yes, I admire other sociopaths. When I meet another one its like a meeting of minds, like electricity sparking off their conversation. We both can sense what we are straight away.

The thrill of the chase is the most intoxicating drug I know. Charming a woman into bed is the dopamine rush that ones craves over and over again. The actual sex is meaningless and nothing compared to the thrill of the chase. The gratification is about controlling that woman, breaking down her will and dominating her to do as one says. This craving for the rush of charming someone and controlling them never goes away. Its like a drug addict craving their next fix. As soon as the high wears off we need another chase or the withdrawal is the lowest of lows.

With regard to feeling rejection, or hurt; rejection means failure to control and that means weakness to us. So we then feel revenge and pain is needed to even up the score. Like a wounded animal fighting back to win. Rejection just makes me want to hurt that person, and I hold grudges to the end of time and never forget it. It's like the worst insult one can take, someone doesn't fall under our spell of control and dominance; so we have to make them suffer to learn we are the boss. If I am honest, I will stop at nothing to crush anyone that I cannot charm and take over. I hold grudges for years and have ruined people professionally in their careers for example. All because of rejection or that I couldn't charm or control them. I have a saying, long runs the fox.

Yes, I admire other sociopaths. When I meet another one its like a meeting of minds, like electricity sparking off their conversation. We both can sense what we are straight away.

The thrill of the chase is the most intoxicating drug I know. Charming a woman into bed is the dopamine rush that ones craves over and over again. The actual sex is meaningless and nothing compared to the thrill of the chase. The gratification is about controlling that woman, breaking down her will and dominating her to do as one says. This craving for the rush of charming someone and controlling them never goes away. Its like a drug addict craving their next fix. As soon as the high wears off we need another chase or the withdrawal is the lowest of lows.

With regard to feeling rejection, or hurt; rejection means failure to control and that means weakness to us. So we then feel revenge and pain is needed to even up the score. Like a wounded animal fighting back to win. Rejection just makes me want to hurt that person, and I hold grudges to the end of time and never forget it. It's like the worst insult one can take, someone doesn't fall under our spell of control and dominance; so we have to make them suffer to learn we are the boss. If I am honest, I will stop at nothing to crush anyone that I cannot charm and take over. I hold grudges for years and have ruined people professionally in their careers for example. All because of rejection or that I couldn't charm or control them. I have a saying, long runs the fox.

Sounds like quite the inner life you have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Candie wrote: »
    Some libertine, amoral banoffee.

But I'm on the dole as I don't want to work any more.

osarusan wrote: »
    But I'm on the dole as I don't want to work any more.

But still manage to crush careers all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

How do you feel about this - ruining someones career for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

stuar wrote: »

Well, I only got 30% - but apparently I still need help - probably right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Finally I have some proof that I am sane. Test results:

You are Not at all Sociopath.

But I could spot a sociopath 100ft away.

Has any-one here tried the psychopath test yet ? http://illnessquiz.com/sociopath-test/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

To be honest I didn't diagnose myself. I am no psychiatrist.
    My ex was a Doctor and she diagnosed it after years of observing my behaviour. Professionally in my career I don't think anyone knew as I was in a profession where one can be ruthless and controlling; lacking empathy. So it was seen as being good at the job. But of course unhealthy, and at 38 I knew my behaviour wasn't normal or sustainable at that level.
    Behaving in a psychotic or control freak way in the engine room of a company while intoxicated with power isn't good for all concerned.
    I had learned a lot of it from my father who worked his was up in a firm from apprentice to managing director of the company over 40 years.
    But rather than remembering he came from nothing, he trampled over the little people like ants. They were just numbers on a payroll to him, not human beings with wives and kids etc.
    My ex put up with it for far too many years really, partly due to her being attracted to it in men too much. But enough was enough and she realised that she couldn't change me, no more than I can.
    It was only after she diagnosed me, that I realised what my father was. I thought, now I know where I get it from; my traits are his traits.
    I don't know who is worse really? My sister seems to have it in her as well.
    Academic, and successful in her profession; but totally lacking in empathy.
    I thought I was cold and controlling, but I am like a sociopath-light version of her when it comes to controlling and dominant behaviour.
    I think that is why my father and sister both get on so well, as its like a meeting of minds.
    Ironically she doesn't see what she is at all, and will not admit it. I suppose some sociopaths know it, and some don't. In all cases we don't care though.
    I always find it intoxicating when I meet another one though, its rather like a battle of wits. They try to mirror and project as I do, in order to take control and dominate. There is a certain sharpness and spark in the conversation that one just doesn't get with normal people.

having a quick read at this and your opening post OP, I think you are too open about yourself to be a sociopath. A true sociopath will never drop their guard about how they really feel inside, even 'anonymously' on an internet forum... for what purpose would someone do this? Why are you telling us about yourself like this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Not sure if you will answer this OP, and apologies if it's offensive; but given your lack of empathy and need to control do you think you could kill someone? Have you ever thought about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

stuar wrote: »

50%... happy with that, just enough to be successful in the workplace, provide for my family and destroy a few souls along the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement