Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sociopaths

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Sariah wrote: »
    Jaysus I think I want me a bit of that.

Are you sure ? if your mind is not strong enough it can kill you, ayahuasca that is. You need a strong mind for that stuff there. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

I wasn't talking about the drugs. Been there done that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

The two of them end up trying to mirror and project the ego and behaviour of the other which must be quite commical when two people are mirroring and projecting a falsity with more falsity.

I find I mirror and project on a natural level but i hate when someone does it to me. My ego does not respond well to flattery. I think I would respond better if I was made to feel predatory as this is something would fear being and so would react quite strong to the accusation.

I don't always get it right, often I get it wrong. But its all practice and honing one's craft to a fine art. I just see the next mark as a blank canvas to work my art on. One has to read them as everyone is different. I find more intelligent people threatening and tend to avoid their type. The less intelligent ones are delicious; like taking sweets from a child. Mind control? They are begging to be controlled. Sometimes the thrill of the chase isn't there as they are just too easy to take over. I like a challenge not low hanging fruit. For me the harder they are to chase, the higher the dopamine rush when one finally breaks their will.
    Of course sometimes one comes across another sociopath and its delicious. The meeting of minds, and the explosive chemistry. A sociopath woman is the most dangerous and exciting of them all, as they can make a man do anything with ease. Its like a battle of wits, one sparking of the other. Sociopath v sociopath is like two animals fighting to the death in the wild.
    I can only describe the feeling as sexual. Knowing a woman can be as ruthless and controlling as oneself is thrilling. No secrets, we are both there to try and f.uck the other one over, they are just an obstacle to climb over and get what is due to one.

Ok maybe I'm a sociopath in an empaths clothing.

Are you sure ? if your mind is not strong enough it can kill you, ayahuasca that is. You need a strong mind for that stuff there. Be careful what you wish for.

I burned my electric stove out and had to buy a new one after brewing for 12 hours. I imported a kilo of black caapi vines and chacruna leaves from Peru via Holland. Its legal to import the raw materials into Ireland. Customs in Portlaois had opened the parcel and let it through.
    Anyway I have brewed and used it like the Shamans a few times and its really is a spiritual healing medicine, rather than a recreational drug like acid.
    There is a lot of myth and hype on the internet, Youtube etc. So don't believe the majority of it.
    The vines contain MAIO inhibiters,which allow the DMT in the leaves to be absorbed into the body. People only really have problems when they are using other drugs such as SSRI type antidepressants. Reason being, the MAOI inhibiters allow the SSRI to be more absorbed and overstimulates the brain making the person psychotic.
    Cannabinoids in weed are also thought to interact with the DMT and actually counteract its effect. So I would advise to totally cleanse oneself for a month before using ayahuasca.
    I think all the other stuff on the net about fasting before etc is nonsense.
    I ate my dinner as usual then drank a shot glass full of brew and had a very pleasant 6 hour trip on it.
    The next day I felt great, no comedown at all. All this stuff about needing a strong mind is nonsense. One just needs to be sensible, like don't drive a car when on it etc. Its not like acid where you can't stop a bad trip. All you have to do to stop an ayahuasca trip is to turn on bright lights or open the curtains and let the sunlight in. They don't say that on the net though, as scaremongering is more exciting isn't it?
    Ayahuasca is great, and I will be brewing some more later this year. But my first priority is finishing the bloom of my Norther Lights plant.

My 22 year old step daughter was telling me she smoked some of that last week. It sounded pretty intense for some of them. I have never come across it myself. Or am I thinking of something else? She said you kind of fall back into yourself but come back around quite quickly.

poa wrote: »
    I burned my electric stove out and had to buy a new one after brewing for 12 hours. I imported a kilo of black caapi vines and chacruna leaves from Peru via Holland. Its legal to import the raw materials into Ireland. Customs in Portlaois had opened the parcel and let it through.
    Anyway I have brewed and used it like the Shamans a few times and its really is a spiritual healing medicine, rather than a recreational drug like acid.
    There is a lot of myth and hype on the internet, Youtube etc. So don't believe the majority of it.
    The vines contain MAIO inhibiters,which allow the DMT in the leaves to be absorbed into the body. People only really have problems when they are using other drugs such as SSRI type antidepressants. Reason being, the MAOI inhibiters allow the SSRI to be more absorbed and overstimulates the brain making the person psychotic.
    Cannabinoids in weed are also thought to interact with the DMT and actually counteract its effect. So I would advise to totally cleanse oneself for a month before using ayahuasca.
    I think all the other stuff on the net about fasting before etc is nonsense.
    I ate my dinner as usual then drank a shot glass full of brew and had a very pleasant 6 hour trip on it.
    The next day I felt great, no comedown at all. All this stuff about needing a strong mind is nonsense. One just needs to be sensible, like don't drive a car when on it etc. Its not like acid where you can't stop a bad trip. All you have to do to stop an ayahuasca trip is to turn on bright lights or open the curtains and let the sunlight in. They don't say that on the net though, as scaremongering is more exciting isn't it?
    Ayahuasca is great, and I will be brewing some more later this year. But my first priority is finishing the bloom of my Norther Lights plant.

I will reiterate what I had previously said. Ayahuasca can kill a person in very high doses, whether from choking on their own vomit or falling off a cliff. Not only that, it also depends on the person taking it as some folk can lose their mind/marbles on a high dose. You make your own and maybe it is mild, but compared to LSD it can be very heavy on certain people. We're not all the same on the genetics scale, and as such precaution is a necessity.

You're not a sociopath... you are just stoned dude.

We're off topic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I'd be the opposite. It would eat me up if I thought I got my way through manipulation or control or power. The more I succeed in life the more power I give away. I always try to lift others up the pedestal I have vacated.

You empathy sounds more like some new age narcissism. "Lift others up to the pedestal you have vacated" Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kommander Kaputnik

If you are such a cunning sociopath and will stop at nothing to get what you want then why did you cut your millionaire father off? Surely youd want to inherit all his money and have an easy life for yourself?

And why didnt you cut off contact with your sister? What purpose has she in your life?

I'd be the opposite. It would eat me up if I thought I got my way through manipulation or control or power. The more I succeed in life the more power I give away. I always try to lift others up the pedestal I have vacated.

You empathy sounds more like some new age narcissism. "Lift others up to the pedestal you have vacated" Jesus wept.

I was being flippant. I haven't really vacated too many pedestals. It was in the spirit of the thread, what with all that crushing of little people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

On the one hand, it's interesting to read from the perspective of manipulative person with a lack of empathy who knows it and talks openly about it. On the other, my gut instinct is "asshole I'd avoid"! Known one sociopath, when I realised what he was, I got the hell out of dodge and cut contact but admittedly, it took me a while to see him for what he was (was a friendship rather than a relationship) and it took a more blatant power play for me to realise "yep, this person has something wrong with them and I'm not sticking about to be manipulated like this." In retrospect, I should have realised it earlier, but I am generally someone who sees the best in people and it was a weird experience to run into someone who thinks the way this person did. (Speaking of sociopaths, the cats have all come over to see what I'm up to).

I think there is a lot of element of choice to it too though. Sure, you can be born with certain traits, and sociopathic traits are still along a spectrum (you've noted that yourself with your sister) but you can choose to do something about them or not. Then again, the point of view of "it's not my fault" is also a pretty sociopathic trait.

As for the question (I think it was you that asked it in the first page or so) as to whether women are attracted to men with those traits, meh. Some are, some aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I was being flippant. I haven't really vacated too many pedestals. It was in the spirit of the thread, what with all that crushing of little people.

What about you preferring to think of yourself as the cream? I'm not buying your shtick. The OP is more credible and there's a good chance he's Walter Mitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Is OP Alan Kelly, or maybe Tony Soprano?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It has been my experience that often those who self identify as "sociopath" on the interwebs are just not very socially savvy(all the way to getting more medical like Aspergers). It's one label to explain their slight social isolation. The field of psychology doesn't help either. It's chock full of dodgy data, fashionable labels, fashionable therapies and the sniff of quackery with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wibbs wrote: »
    It has been my experience that often those who self identify as "sociopath" on the interwebs are just not very socially savvy(all the way to getting more medical like Aspergers). It's one label to explain their slight social isolation. The field of psychology doesn't help either. It's chock full of dodgy data, fashionable labels, fashionable therapies and the sniff of quackery with it.

I agree, sometimes people are just proper heartless b.astards

What about you preferring to think of yourself as the cream? I'm not buying your shtick. The OP is more credible and there's a good chance he's Walter Mitty.

Ok you got me on that one:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think you watch too much CSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Whatever the opposite of a sociopath is, I'm that, as I overly feel empathy for people.

If I was a judge I would let everyone off. Couldn't bring myself to send someone to jail. Well maybe for some things.

I killed a daddy long legs an hour ago by mistake and I felt really bad about it as he was minding his own business before I came traipsing in kicking the limbs off him on my to the kitchen.

Speaking of sociopaths, we have many of them in government I'm sure, ah sure the heads of the banks and the federal reserve are full of them and congress is afraid of them. Where does that leave the genuine citizen folk... too afraid to confront them, as the feeling of empathy,pain and logic are the average persons crutch when dealing with the person with no feelings.

Just imagine going through life with absolutely no feelings for anything or any-one. Hard to imagine isn't it, but there are multi-millions doing just that, stamping on and over the little ants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wibbs wrote: »

It does sound like a medicalised justification for arseholery. Sociopaths never feel a need to justify themselves, why would they? It's not as if they care what impact their behaviour has. Sociopaths are, I would have thought, not all that common, narcisists however are ten a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

That's why I asked the question... did any-one here do the psychopath test yet :)

A lot of those tests are flawed.

Example being the 'would you kill baby Hitler' question that some of these tests use. Where the answer seems to be, 'yes' - because as a Psychopath, you wouldn't have any remorse at killing a defenseless baby who at that point hadn't done anything wrong.

But if you kill the Baby, then surely you change time and you are not born, so you save millions of lives, but remove yourself from existence. How is that the action of a sociopath or psychopath? Surely the sociopath or psychopath would let the baby live, Millions die, but the sociopath/psychopath is OK, so that is their preferred outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Completely devoid of empathy, no self awareness, has become an habitual lier.

1 or 2 boardsies known to me are pathological liars.:)

My 22 year old step daughter was telling me she smoked some of that last week. It sounded pretty intense for some of them. I have never come across it myself. Or am I thinking of something else? She said you kind of fall back into yourself but come back around quite quickly.

One doesn't smoke ayahuasca as its liquid not solid. She may have been smoking DMT crystals. DMT is the chemical that makes us dream at night, and is what makes one trip when drinking ayahusaca. The DMT crystals give a similar effect, but the smoke inhaled gives a much shorter trip of say 5-10 minutes compared to 6-8 hours for ayahuasca. Personally I would never smoke DMT crystals as I regard it as inferior. Shamans have been using ayahuasca for around 400 years in Peru, its the original medicine. Its naturally anti-parisitic so its thought they first started ingesting it to kill intestinal worms in the jungle. They then discovered by accident its dream like side effects and continued to use it as spiritual medicine. Its something very special, I have seen some amazing things and felt some great feelings on it; with no negative to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

"Candie wrote: »
    On this thread it seems to mean anyone who has difficulty relating, or is a bit of a heartless git.

Or a fantasist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Sociopaths are everywhere just to varying degrees, I have often seen people who act as if they have no empathy etc but it all changes when its something that impacts them directly like a partner leaving or a family member dying, you just need to find the right trigger for it to effect them.

I will stand corrected on this but I always thought one of the main traits of sociopath is being completely anti social. The way you portray yourself your out there manipulating everything and everyone like a modern day niccolo machiavelli, its hardly anti social.

Perhaps you are a true sociopath, I have no idea to be honest but if your posts really are an accurate reflection of yourself you certainly display one of the highest levels of arrogance I have ever seen in a person. Do you really see yourself like that ? - a master manipulator so clever that no one sees through you

I have no doubt you are successful but is it possible that most people you encounter are just tolerating your behaviour as in they simply do not care enough themselves about it to pull you up on it. Those below you in work could simply put up with it because they have no choice at this point. This does not mean you are manipulating them , it means you do not effect their life enough for them to care or you serve a purpose for them like retaining their job so they let it go.

Some of the things posted are ludicrous, this I could kill if I don't get caught lark is absurd, virtually everyone is capable of killing if the circumstances fall right. Not doing something does not single you out as having a special set of traits , it makes you the same as everyone else.

I think a lot of people have superiority complexes and that complex leads them to think that most people are dullards incapable of seeing through them.

I'm not saying you are one of these but there may be some merit in looking at the way in which others treat you or interact with you to really examine what they think of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I work in investment banking and wealth management for a well-known European bank. I’ll often read reports that banking is a career that sociopaths gravitate towards. I always treat these reports with the healthy scepticism they deserve. They are often written by hacks who believe the answers to the world’s problems can be found by reading Karl Marx and who hate everything to do with our profession.

My colleagues and I are in the position we are because we excelled academically, work long hours, can parse and understand complex subjects extremely quickly. An extra skill that some of us possess is the ability to meet with our client base in a professional capacity and work with them on ensuring our investment products are the ones they choose when seeking to protect and enhance their wealth.

Of course some of the people I work with are ruthless and ambitious. You have to be in this profession. If you want zero stress and ‘chilled out; colleagues then work in a shop selling dream catchers, budda bags and patchouli oil.

I did have a manager called Gunther who definitely had some sort of serious personality disorder. His arrogance and hubris was astonishing. He believed his seniority gave him an air of gravitas, and he would be rude and condescending to his direct reports. His rudeness was proportional to how much wine and whiskey he had drank the night before courtesy of the company expense account. He believed he was charming with clients when he was a dinosaur and a relic of a different era. It was easy to see through though. He wasn’t much good at it.

Thankfully I was asked to become part of a ‘ninja squad’ who were tasked with identifying inefficiencies in the organisation. We worked diligently, and once the low hanging fruit were picked – outsourcing IT, closing some branch offices, streamlining business processes, we had to go with more difficult options. Gunther and many of his type and era were deemed surplus to requirements and he was given redundancy. I delivered the news myself to the man, and he took it very badly. If he was a sociopath then he hadn’t made it to the top through cunning and guile. He ended up being asked to leave by a man 30 years his junior.

Or a fantasist.

Who isn't a fantasist? Really? We all are at times. Some more than others, but its a given. We all sleep, dream, fantasise, daydream, we are human.
    Fantasising less makes a man or woman better? I don't buy that. The more fantasy the better I say. If it keeps one's mental health on track, spirit free, and gives one hope of something better, then fantasy is good.
    We all love a good book, story, film, work of art; and these things are made by the most creative of minds, fantasists that dream big. Do you think being in reality more, and fantasy less; is a better way of life? I don't.
    Sociopaths make fantasy a reality, they don't stop like normal people. We see people as obstacles to climb over and get what is due to us. In my life I have used and f.ucked people over many many times in order to get what I want. I make the fantasy the reality for them and I, the victim and the predator.
    You see in life one has the choice of being the realist or fantasist, and I am the latter as its more fun. I fantasise about it then do it for real. Living a vanilla life, being normal, and not fantasising doesn't cut it for me. Some of us like being the wolf rather than the sheep. Predator or victim? Trust me, being the predator is more fun. I eat, sleep, dream, fantasise, f.uck, s.hit, w.ank, and sweat it out of every pore. Every immoral fibre of me wants to be ruthless, controlling, dominant, and lack empathy if it makes that fantasy a reality.
    Being a fantasist, is something very exciting.

Who isn't a fantasist? Really? We all are at times. Some more than others, but its a given. We all sleep, dream, fantasise, daydream, we are human.
    Fantasising less makes a man or woman better? I don't buy that. The more fantasy the better I say. If it keeps one's mental health on track, spirit free, and gives one hope of something better, then fantasy is good.
    We all love a good book, story, film, work of art; and these things are made by the most creative of minds, fantasists that dream big. Do you think being in reality more, and fantasy less; is a better way of life? I don't.
    Sociopaths make fantasy a reality, they don't stop like normal people. We see people as obstacles to climb over and get what is due to us. In my life I have used and f.ucked people over many many times in order to get what I want. I make the fantasy the reality for them and I, the victim and the predator.
    You see in life one has the choice of being the realist or fantasist, and I am the latter as its more fun. I fantasise about it then do it for real. Living a vanilla life, being normal, and not fantasising doesn't cut it for me. Some of us like being the wolf rather than the sheep. Predator or victim? Trust me, being the predator is more fun. I eat, sleep, dream, fantasise, f.uck, s.hit, w.ank, and sweat it out of every pore. Every immoral fibre of me wants to be ruthless, controlling, dominant, and lack empathy if it makes that fantasy a reality.
    Being a fantasist, is something very exciting.

Well fcuk that dude, You have me, you can do what you want to me once you give me a cup of that amazing ayahuasca. I'm dying for an out of body experience right now.

I fantasise about it then do it for real. Living a vanilla life, being normal, and not fantasising doesn't cut it for me. Some of us like being the wolf rather than the sheep. Predator or victim? Trust me, being the predator is more fun. I eat, sleep, dream, fantasise, f.uck, s.hit, w.ank, and sweat it out of every pore.

Didn't you mention you lived on the dole because you weren't interested in working?

Must make it hard to fund the lifestyle that crushes careers and deflowers virgins and lives in glorious technicolor compared to the rest of us joes.

Banoffee pie doesn't come cheap, you know.

Some trip some folks get to be on, on a monday morning, I don't like mondays, but, drinking ayahuasca at this time would be something to be remembered, for a monday. Must be some good sh!t.

• Advertisement

Just another special label to legitimise how very special you feel you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I'm an engineer for close to 15 years and I took a job in Management in my company as I have basically hit the celing as an engineer, I lasted less than a year and was lucky enough to be able to have my old position back. I just couldn't reconcile the sociopathic expectation on people at the time of year when it came to performance review/management, that's when you really seen the sharks with their teeth out. For me I just don't have the personality for it, but I can say that the place I work for pretty much expects you to have sociopathic tendencies to get to the top. Its a Multinational I'd imagine its the same in a lot of Multinationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I work in investment banking and wealth management for a well-known European bank. I’ll often read reports that banking is a career that sociopaths gravitate towards. I always treat these reports with the healthy scepticism they deserve. They are often written by hacks who believe the answers to the world’s problems can be found by reading Karl Marx and who hate everything to do with our profession.

My colleagues and I are in the position we are because we excelled academically, work long hours, can parse and understand complex subjects extremely quickly. An extra skill that some of us possess is the ability to meet with our client base in a professional capacity and work with them on ensuring our investment products are the ones they choose when seeking to protect and enhance their wealth.

Of course some of the people I work with are ruthless and ambitious. You have to be in this profession. If you want zero stress and ‘chilled out; colleagues then work in a shop selling dream catchers, budda bags and patchouli oil.

I did have a manager called Gunther who definitely had some sort of serious personality disorder. His arrogance and hubris was astonishing. He believed his seniority gave him an air of gravitas, and he would be rude and condescending to his direct reports. His rudeness was proportional to how much wine and whiskey he had drank the night before courtesy of the company expense account. He believed he was charming with clients when he was a dinosaur and a relic of a different era. It was easy to see through though. He wasn’t much good at it.

Thankfully I was asked to become part of a ‘ninja squad’ who were tasked with identifying inefficiencies in the organisation. We worked diligently, and once the low hanging fruit were picked – outsourcing IT, closing some branch offices, streamlining business processes, we had to go with more difficult options. Gunther and many of his type and era were deemed surplus to requirements and he was given redundancy. I delivered the news myself to the man, and he took it very badly. If he was a sociopath then he hadn’t made it to the top through cunning and guile. He ended up being asked to leave by a man 30 years his junior.
    Not the first time I've heard about Gunther.

Candie wrote: »
    Just another special label to legitimise how very special you feel you are.

Its actually quite the opposite. I tend to forego my own feelings in favour of others. I always question myself first. As I explained above that was a tongue in cheek comment written in the spirit of the the thread. It was just a bit of banter in relation to the previous posts. I don't think anyone is more special or deserving of special attention. I tend to like most people and like to bring out the best in them.

Its actually quite the opposite. I tend to forego my own feelings in favour of others. I always question myself first. As I explained above that was a tongue in cheek comment written in the spirit of the the thread. It was just a bit of banter in relation to the previous posts. I don't think anyone is more special or deserving of special attention. I tend to like most people and like to bring out the best in them.

Do you not realise how self aggrandising that whole post is?

I'm glad you put your own feelings aside, question everything, and bring out the best in people. Lots of people do, but neither talk about it or give themselves a special little label to demonstrate how selfless and giving they are.

I've no tolerance for made-up, new-age, self-assessed 'powers' or 'talents' that can neither be measured or even discussed, since the person claiming to have them is the only source of any information.

Lots of nice people out there can pick up on emotions, some of them just think it's a normal characteristic most people have and that there's nothing special or unusual about them at all. And some want to be different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

armaghlad wrote: »
    Not the first time I've heard about Gunther.

Wasn't it Berthold in another thread?

Who mentioned powers or talents ? It's neither. Its quite anxiety provoking as I have no way of filtering out other peoples emotions. It means it is very hard for me to make a decision that will affect others and it is very hard for me to give bad news to someone. I need to do both of these things in my work and so I struggle more than I should. There are promotions coming up in work and this is the one area that would stop me applying for it.

I didn't give myself a special little label, its just the other end of the scale to a sociopath and probably about as much fun. Why do you think everyone should be in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Sociopaths are easy to get around. Easier still to avoid, but if you're stuck with one, simply play yourself down. It's like they come off a conveyor belt, they fall for it every time. In no time at all, you've found a weakness, should you ever need to use it. Of course, few people are capable of playing themselves down. They're too proud..
    And of course some sociopaths are a little too good. In which case you just walk away. Plenty of other fights in the ring..

Then again, I may be thinking of the narcissist :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

They're all out today, Ted

Ever considered writing a fiction book of short stories? One could call it; urban myths. Or perhaps a change of career, working for Disney or the Walter Mitty 2 sequel? I think you have what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ever considered writing a fiction book of short stories? One could call it; urban myths. Or perhaps a change of career, working for Disney or the Walter Mitty 2 sequel? I think you have what it takes.

You two could form a partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Gunther, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

One could call it; urban myths. Or perhaps a change of career, working for Disney or the Walter Mitty 2 sequel? I think you have what it takes.
    re: the persona of Walter Mitty.
    The Walter Mitty character in the very original novella story was projected as quite a mild mannered individual.

Conversely, over the years in both my working and leisure I have heard the phrase ""he is a Walter Mitty type individual", the people concerned had a arrogant streak in their personalities.

Starokan wrote: »
    Sociopaths are everywhere just to varying degrees, I have often seen people who act as if they have no empathy etc but it all changes when its something that impacts them directly like a partner leaving or a family member dying, you just need to find the right trigger for it to effect them.

I will stand corrected on this but I always thought one of the main traits of sociopath is being completely anti social. The way you portray yourself your out there manipulating everything and everyone like a modern day niccolo machiavelli, its hardly anti social.

Perhaps you are a true sociopath, I have no idea to be honest but if your posts really are an accurate reflection of yourself you certainly display one of the highest levels of arrogance I have ever seen in a person. Do you really see yourself like that ? - a master manipulator so clever that no one sees through you

I have no doubt you are successful but is it possible that most people you encounter are just tolerating your behaviour as in they simply do not care enough themselves about it to pull you up on it. Those below you in work could simply put up with it because they have no choice at this point. This does not mean you are manipulating them , it means you do not effect their life enough for them to care or you serve a purpose for them like retaining their job so they let it go.

Some of the things posted are ludicrous, this I could kill if I don't get caught lark is absurd, virtually everyone is capable of killing if the circumstances fall right. Not doing something does not single you out as having a special set of traits , it makes you the same as everyone else.

I think a lot of people have superiority complexes and that complex leads them to think that most people are dullards incapable of seeing through them.

I'm not saying you are one of these but there may be some merit in looking at the way in which others treat you or interact with you to really examine what they think of you

Interesting you mention Niccolo Machiavelli, as The Prince is my favourite book. His analysis of politik was insightful and relevant today even though it is 500 years old. Many of the world's leaders, dictators, criminals; have read it. Christy Kinahan read it in jail and applied its teachings to his cartel. The general theme of The Prince, is that immoral means are justified providing one gets the end result desired. Also half the time one can change the course of events, but half the time it is out of our control and one must accept fate.
    Everyone from Henry the 8th to Napoleon has used The Prince. Its rather like a manual or bible for the sociopath. I learned more politik from that book than any other. It explains the way sociopaths think and apply their craft to get what they want. Politicians are expert manipulators, and gain votes and confidence from the electorate with their craft. It's rather like a fraudster conning their mark.
    With regard to superiority, yes I am to many. My education has served me well. However I have met a few over the years that I was felt threatened and in awe of their brilliance and sharp minds. Gifted people that I could not charm, nor manipulate. They were able to read my modus operandi and even predict my next move; before I had thought of it myself. When two sociopaths meet its like a meeting of minds, and working together the results can be something special. But against each other and its an abhorrent battle to win.
    With regard to killing, often people say they could or think they have the potential. Saying things like; if anyone killed my child I would kill them etc.
    But its words, not reality. They physically couldn't do it as something would hold them back. This is what defines a sociopath, we would kill and feel apathy; not the bloodlust of a murderer. It's a cold feeling of apathy.
    Often sociopaths kill animals as children, and this is seen as a classic trait of being one. Usually a child would feel sad or upset seeing an animal suffer or die. But the sociopath child enjoys the power and thrill of killing the weaker animal. Bullying other children at school, seeking out the vulnerable and weaker ones to control and manipulate with fear and violence. Again another sociopath trait.
    Sociopaths are often social rather than anti-social. By definition one needs to be social in order to cultivate new relationships; and find hosts to feed off and use. One wouldn't be able to control without that social interaction. Work, family, clubs, sports, socialising, in many ways. The same modus operandi is applied. One simply seeks out the weaker and vulnerable and controls and manipulates them to get something from them. Then cuts them off after they have served their purpose; whether that's a business deal or sexual encounter.
    The funny thing is, there is often a type that is attracted to sociopaths and wants to be the victim; used and abused. So one doesn't have to work to hard on them. Ironically some of them come back for more even after being used and abused. Its like an addiction they have, a need to be submissive and controlled by someone dominant and confident.
    The way I see it is simple, in life one can be the wolf or the sheep. The hunter or the hunted. And I prefer being the wolf and sinking my teeth into that lambs meat, finishing them. Some people are happy being the sheep, feeling empathy and being altruistic in life etc. Each to their own.
    I have always had that killer instinct, in business, relationships; in every aspect of life. It's arrogant and aggressive, often toxic behaviour, but that is the reality. Sometimes I would scream at and intimidate employees to break them down mentally and emotionally, then build them back up into hardened footsoldiers. One can literally breed it into to them to have that killer instinct and hunger to close the deal. I used to get them revved up and ready to go into a meeting and take over and own everyone in that f.ucking room like a slave.
    I had one apprentice type, and told him imagine you are a lion in a cage; and you are starving hungry. Now I am going to let you out of your cage to hunt a gazelle, you sink your teeth deep into that fresh meat and kill it.
    That is how you are going to go in to that room and close the deal got it?
    You are the lion, and they are the gazelle. And so he learned the killer instinct and closed the deal. Just like the sociopath I did over and over again.
    On can be a bully and control in certain professions, and get away with it.
    I was psychotic and behaved like an animal at times, but I got the results and profit margins. In business one doesn't think about empathy, one thinks about revenue streams. And when it comes to it, the empathetic sheep cannot deliver under pressure; but the sociopath wolf thrives on it.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    re: the persona of Walter Mitty.
    The Walter Mitty character in the very original novella story was projected as quite a mild mannered individual.

Conversely, over the years in both my working and leisure I have heard the phrase ""he is a Walter Mitty type individual", the people concerned had a arrogant streak in their personalities.

The true meaning of Walter Mitty, comes from the war. Its a fraud that used to wear military medals and make up stories about their military service.
    One still gets them at Remembrance Sunday parades etc. Covered in medals they bought on Ebay wearing their Royal Marine or Paratrooper beret.
    Or there are the ones that claim to have been in the SAS, when they were just a regular soldier.
    These types are the true Walter Mitty that the name comes from. Over the years its become a phrase for a fantasist, rather than its true meaning of a military fraud.

Bambi wrote: »
    You two could form a partnership

I only work with professionals, not amateurs.

nelly17 wrote: »
    Gunther, is that you?

The Aongus Von Walter Mitter/Bismarck story about Gunther/Berthold etc has been recycled so many times it's an obvious urban myth.
    I have heard these type of fantasies over the years from the cashier working in AIB or BOI, and watches the Wolf Of Wall Street or Rogue Trader.
    Now they think they are a trader and make up these ridiculous stories about when they worked as part of a ninja squad in an investment bank etc.
    Bulls.hit type stories one would hear when someone is drunk.
    Boring stories that no one believes. I will rate this story about Gunther 2/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Is there a Walter Mitty 2?

HensVassal wrote: »
    Wasn't it Berthold in another thread?

Aongus Von Bull****, king of the one trick pony story about Gunther/Berthold.
    2/10 the first time, then repeated ad infinitum, now repeated ad nauseum.
    Sadly Aongus Von Walter Mitty still hasn't realised that his recycled urban myth isn't of any interest to anyone. I know, let's change the name from Berthold to Gunther, then no one will suspect I copied an urban myth off the internet. I am so clever. No Aongus Von Bull****; you are a dick.

banned

• Advertisement

Is there a Walter Mitty 2?

I wouldn't be surprised as these days most new films have a sequel. I think the film did well so who knows?

Advertisement