Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sociopaths

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

poa wrote: »
    Aongus Von Bull****, king of the one trick pony story about Gunther/Berthold.
    2/10 the first time, then repeated ad infinitum, now repeated ad nauseum.
    Sadly Aongus Von Walter Mitty still hasn't realised that his recycled urban myth isn't of any interest to anyone. I know, let's change the name from Berthold to Gunther, then no one will suspect I copied an urban myth off the internet. I am so clever. No Aongus Von Bull****; you are a dick.

Woah, steady on there buddy. You need to take a toke of da herb and try some mindfullness. There's a lot of negativity in that posting.

Chill out, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Samaris wrote: »
    You are obviously aware of it enough that you can identify it in yourself. Like a person with autism who knows that they do not process certain information the same way as others, but can learn to do so - and want to do so, not for personal gain, but because they feel it's a better way to live - would you or do you actually try to overcome these impulses for the sake of others, or do you relish in it?

I used to be quite a sociopath. Not as much as some of these people. It's a spectrum of measurement though. Though quite high up there. People were slow moving easy to move pieces in a game that entertained me.
    The further you are on the spectrum the less likely you are to comprehend the value in moving towards a center normalize point.

It's like asking a manipulator if they lie. A pointless act. The manipulator is on the inside though. So the deceit is on the inside lying to themselves, the external stuff is just expressions of that. Externalization of internal workings that they concretely identify with.

I wanted to respond to your question because i think it's a useful contribution. Overcoming the impulses is a wrong way to think about it.
    It's a value based system that derives from our perception of the world and vice versa. The impulses are strong, but only in the same way that you may have a impulse to help a wounded friend or sleep with someone when your aroused.
    It takes many many years to overcome the workings of sociopathy. It's an incredibly painful experience and one that one would need to be almost insane to do. The flip side is that one must be more insane to not do it and remain in a eternal state of fear/need. There's no rest in that state. There's moments of accomplishment, pleasure and ego fulfillment. It's so transient that it becomes boring and more highs are needed to reach the same level. It's just like an addiction, but the addiction is born from the the perception. A identity created that is always trying to build and defend itself.

I wanted to also respond incase it helps others with this difficulty see that there is very good reasons to begin the work to change. There is a sense of peace, a happiness, a way of relating to others that offers FAR more consistent pleasure and comfort and security than using them as objects. The hardest part is seeing how seeing other people as objects makes the world just a transient toy that is boring and unfulfilling over time. It's giving up your desire to meet your needs even though you will think you see that you will be less well off. That the needs you seek to fill are just suffering you create which you are then a slave to fill. It masks itself as being the creator and controller, the all powerful person.. Yet take a step back.. try not fill a few of those needs. Especially the really scary ones. Watch how you cower and tremble as your identity begins to question itself, how it doubts, how it becomes a slave to these needs. It's incredible painful but enlightening experience to see that where one thought they had power, they were a slave to it. To be able to walk through life, not phased by the fears, not needing or suffering, but enjoying things immensely in ways children do. That is a power worthy of your time and energy. Not a pathetic rat race.

Ironically, due to the very cognitive nature of the way sociopaths tend to process emotional and behavioral patterns. They can usually achieve very high levels of emotional independence and happiness. Though most are too scared to make much progress. It levels out over time. As they get older, thrills decrease, awareness grows, and they no longer believe the great false story about themselves... they tend to wish they lived a different life.

They all deserve a happy loving life full of comfort and loved ones. Pleasure and niceness, support and wellness. We all do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Woah, steady on there buddy. You need to take a toke of da herb and try some mindfullness. There's a lot of negativity in that posting.

Chill out, dude.

You'll find the Pure Sociopath is perfectly chilled. His pulse will never go above 85, Clarice - even when he eats his tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I'm a sociopath.

I know this now.

I
    used to be worse, though.

I
    think I self diagnosed as a socio-road, maybe I even thought I was a socio-motorway in the past.

I feel that as a sociopath, I really self identify as someone who self identifies as a sociopath.

I wonder if that makes sense?

I want to be different though.

I really think that, though I like being a sociopath in some ways, I want to empathise more.

I wonder if that makes sense?

I'm not posting this on my I Phone.

I'm actually typing this on my laptop.

I really hope someone reads this.

I can be followed on Twitter #Isociopath4ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Lisha wrote: »
    Is it Possible for you to be hurt by the cations of others? If some one Rejected you, would you feel hurt in any way?

Do you admire anyone?

Sorry for the qts but I'm finding the points you raise to be fascinating.

I know 2 different guys who I think are psychopaths. But their wives adore them to the moon And back. They can charm their way out of any situation and would sleep with anyone at all. If they decide they want someone they wil literally charm their way into bed (or back if car). . Then it's over. No feelings at all.

My husbAnds mother is very cruel and callous. She only has time for the children she can control. I've always thought she was a narcissist but maybe it's more than that.

The whole area of narcissist mothers is fascinating. The dynamics of golden child/scapegoat and flying monkeys that narc mothers create is a much overlooked phenomenon, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sociopaths, ever met one or are you even one yourself?
    The first one I ever met was my own father, it took me years to realise it; but I am in no doubt that is what he is. I can see many of those character traits in both my sister and I.
    The funny thing is, our mother also came to that conclusion herself; but actually finds it attractive in a man. 50 years of marriage and they wouldn't have it any other way.
    I used to think he was driven from insecurity, and yearning to go from rags to riches. But doing the work of 2 men in his life has taken its toll on his health, so success came at a price. The other cost was cultivating new friendships over the years but never maintaining them. So there he is, 71 years old, a millionaire loner, with only my mother and his grandchildren for company really.
    He has mellowed from 50-70 a lot, but the sociopath traits never left him. He is always looking to control, and sees people as obstacles to climb over and get what is due to him.
    I suppose I am a sociopath myself, and certainly in my career it was easy to hide. It was both a curse and a gift at times though; being ruthless and lacking empathy.
    A girlfriend once told me I was the kind of man that could shoot someone stone dead and carry on eating my dinner as if nothing had happened.
    I knew then that I was a sociopath like my father, maybe it is in the genes.
    And like my mother is attracted to it in my father, she was attracted to it in I.
    So is it something women find attractive in men? The ruthless and controlling nature?
    Thats creepy, you and your girlfriend sound like bonny and clyde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Aongus Von Bull****, king of the one trick pony story about Gunther/Berthold.
    2/10 the first time, then repeated ad infinitum, now repeated ad nauseum.
    Sadly Aongus Von Walter Mitty still hasn't realised that his recycled urban myth isn't of any interest to anyone. I know, let's change the name from Berthold to Gunther, then no one will suspect I copied an urban myth off the internet. I am so clever. No Aongus Von Bull****; you are a dick.

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Certainly not one, to my knowledge I've never met one either. AFAIK (and bearing in mind that a successful sociopath could go their whole lives without attracting a diagnosis) it's an exceedingly rare condition, though probably people can have traits in common with sociopaths without being 'full sociopath'.

There's a difference between an absolute inability to feel empathy and "I don't really empathise with strangers". I've met people who had varying degrees of difficulty with empathy, one or two who I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the spectrum, most of whom were just immature and inconsiderate like most of us were at some point, the odd few who were just assholes.

The quiveringly emotional and those with a tendency towards plain ol' depression tend to be the types who end up in my orbit, thankfully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

To witness someone with strong sociopathic traits get outplayed at their own game is fascinating to watch. Like when Dorothy throws the boiling water over the witch - 'I'm melllllting" - and the prerequisite George Osborne smirk gets wiped off as the face transfigures back into childlike form from where it all stemmed.

I'm fAirness 99% of people are like/similar to that tbf....empathy is only something you develop as you get older and know people who've been in similar situations to any sad stories you hear

I personally could take or leave most people/don't get overly attached to anyone and I'm not a sociopath ffs.

.....I do find people's sheer want for money amazing...as no matter how much you have...someone else will always have more

Well no. Empathy is a trait which begins to develop at around two months old. The inter-relating and attachment which occurs between infant and primary caregiver is creating the road map for the child to understand that other people have feelings and get hurt just like they do. Now it is a bit more complex than that, there are various age related stages the child goes through in terms of empathy development.

Anti-social personality disorder is the medical term given to children who are incapable of displaying any empathy whatsoever. They are the 11 year olds who get great fun out of abusing animals, they are the murderers of James Bolger, objectifying a living being for their own twisted end.

Also sociopath and psychopath are both different personality types. Psychopaths are born, sociopaths are created.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Hey OP, I have 6 tickets to the Conor McGregor fight, would you be interested in purchasing them ?. I can fix you up with an apartment as well for a really good price, let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hey OP, I have 6 tickets to the Conor McGregor fight, would you be interested in purchasing them ?. I can fix you up with an apartment as well for a really good price, let me know :)

Exactly what I was thinking. Looking forward to the thread on that post sentencing.

Two year suspended sentence. Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

The people claiming to be sociopaths in this thread are talking nonsense. The only real disorder they have are delusions of grandeur. I've met manipulative people, and even the best can only manage to slightly manipulate a few individuals who were already open to suggestion. Anyone who thinks they are a master "moving people around like pieces on a chessboard" is living in a fantasy world. It just doesn't happen. And reading Machiavelli is just something silly people do to bolster their nonsense belief that they are special and intelligence. I imagine these "sparkling electric conversations" between two "sociopaths" were probably incredibly dull.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    The people claiming to be sociopaths in this thread are talking nonsense. The only real disorder they have are delusions of grandeur. I've met manipulative people, and even the best can only manage to slightly manipulate a few individuals who were already open to suggestion. Anyone who thinks they are a master "moving people around like pieces on a chessboard" is living in a fantasy world. It just doesn't happen. And reading Machiavelli is just something silly people do to bolster their nonsense belief that they are special and intelligence. I imagine these "sparkling electric conversations" between two "sociopaths" were probably incredibly dull.

Just like I said previously... Sociopaths prey on weak people and often stay away from equally strong people.

It's like hypnotism, weak minded folk are easily persuaded by others, their mind is so weak that they can be put to sleep. These folk are the ones that fall for the lies and garbage forwarded to them, just like sheep sent to the slaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

The whole area of narcissist mothers is fascinating. The dynamics of golden child/scapegoat and flying monkeys that narc mothers create is a much overlooked phenomenon, I'd say.

Seeing the damage she inflicted on her 8 children is shocking. They are all damaged in their adult lives.
    At least now with availability of contraception the likes of her having 8 children to damage is unlikely.

She has one golden child, 2 that she tolerates as she controls them and 5 that she ignores. Seeing the vitriolic way they she treats the one who stood up to her the most is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Do you like Phil Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 log.lady

The amount of people in this thread who analyse their own perceived character traits in some sort of "exciting" light is mind boggling. The more you analyse yourself the more likely you are to draw wrong conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Found a pic of your average 'sociopath' on the internet:
    http://i.imgur.com/e4d3S1T.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Found a pic of your average 'sociopath' on the internet:
    http://i.imgur.com/e4d3S1T.jpg
    Reminds me of those atheism memes from a while back.

• Advertisement

log.lady wrote: »
    The amount of people in this thread who analyse their own perceived character traits in some sort of "exciting" light is mind boggling. The more you analyse yourself the more likely you are to draw wrong conclusions.

Self analysis is pretty much the ability to self reflect. Pretty important for personal growth.

log.lady wrote: »

The type of life a person lives without analyzing themselves is one of stagnation and immaturity.
    It is far better to draw some wrong conclusions and act on them, further analysis on those consequences and new information then reveals those wrong conclusions. Over time, it gets us all closer to the truth of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Seems to be a pretty lonely, ****e existence being this all conquering, manipulative, get -ahead sociopath. No wife, can't see your kids, living by yourself driving a clapped out car, smoking the odd doobie. So what if you retired at 38 or whatever, you sound bored out of your head.

Just like I said previously... Sociopaths prey on weak people and often stay away from equally strong people.

It's like hypnotism, weak minded folk are easily persuaded by others, their mind is so weak that they can be put to sleep. These folk are the ones that fall for the lies and garbage forwarded to them, just like sheep sent to the slaughter.

I disagree with LLMMLL but I agree with you. There is far more of a tendency to attack and use 'weak' minded people. It's just naturally more productive and less risky. I don't think that in any way reduces the validity of people claiming to be sociopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

Going on the internet, saying you’re a sociopath, being diagnosed by an ex who happened to be a ‘doctor’, saying how you’re very successful and stamp all our people, getting overemotional on an internet forum, seeking positive validation from others for being a sociopath – these are all traits of narcissist personality disorder, not a sociopath (psychopath would be a more valid term than sociopath).

The difference with a narcissist is that they hold an inner vulnerability (I feel no one likes me etc.) and must seek out evidence that they are special to defend against this. Once the narcissist bubble is burst, they explode. Psychopaths on the other hand don’t give a **** and wouldn’t want to be labelled a psychopath as it interferes with their ability to manipulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I'm not saying theyre not manipulative, just not in the way they think they are. A couple of the "manipulators" seem to think they're his genius hidden figure in the shadows secretly running the show. These people don't exist except in game of thrones. Manipulation is a blunt instrument. Also the idea that his conversations with other "sociopaths" are super exciting and a game of wits sounds completely silly. It comes across as this guy wants to believe he's a sociopath more than he is one. His unhappy childhood probably accounts for more of his behavioural traits than sociopathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

manonboard wrote: »
    The type of life a person lives without analyzing themselves is one of stagnation and immaturity.
    It is far better to draw some wrong conclusions and act on them, further analysis on those consequences and new information then reveals those wrong conclusions. Over time, it gets us all closer to the truth of ourselves.

That's true. But the person who keeps going out of their way to say they are something usually are not.

You know, the child in the playground who was all bravado (I'll kill you) was all talk and you'd bate them with your mickey (as my Da used to say) but the ones who say nothing were to be treated with caution and likely to plant you into next week when crossed.

If someone is a sociopath, they'd be denying it to the last. Not looking for a rubber medal. Me thinks the op talks too much.

All this talk about mind games with women, and slaying lions, destroying people's careers etc. If that was said to the interns in my office, they'd laugh in your face. I can't believe some of the stuff written here.....the op is coming across about as much of a sociopath as BOSCO.

The reality will be it's probably someone in a snorkel jacket, who collects stamps and has the occasional slice of banofee pie as a reward for buying a prize bond at the post office.

But in his mind he's Christian Grey...the posts do resemble 50 shades of Sh**, do you have an inner goddess inside your anorak OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Those tests are so in accurate. I've scored high on a few and I am in no way a sociopath. I am a compassionate, caring person who would never hurt an animal.
    Also I think there is case for just having to give something a diagnosis. Some people are just c words and there ain't no cure for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Being a sociopath is a medical condition just like depression or anything else, just having it doesnt make you an asshole, being an asshole makes you an asshole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People tend to walk all over me.

I'm a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

More details please!
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    OP is assuredly not a pyscopath/ sociopath.

I once had a school 'friend' when I was a kid but moved away. When I was older I visited him to catch up. I like to think I have a good deal of empathy and understanding of people and the experience shocked me to my core. He was certainly a pyschopath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No more than an alcoholic saying he abhors he is one. Often people abhor what they are. My mother for example was a lesbian. In the 1960's she married my father to try and hide it from her family; as it wasn't as accepted as it is now.
    She had to fake her life and it made her very bitter. Playing the part of the happy housewife married for 50 years with 2 kids. But it's all been a lie.
    My father knows of course, and they do love each other. But she has had secret partners over the years. She knows what she is, and abhors it. Reason being she was indoctrinated in a convent to think being gay was dirty and a sin. She can't deprogramme all that Catholic guilt and indoctrination even now. So you see, lots of people abhor what they are, even when they can't do anything to change it. Contradiction? No. Reality? Yes.

I think that was generations ago. I doubt if any modern Catholics are racked by guilt

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I had a friend who at first didn't show any signs and was charming but when I got to know him things started to add up that weren't right for a person to behave, One time we arranged to meet for a training session I rang him back to double check the time he told me to F off and when I didn't show up he tried to act all innocent and put the blame on me and ask me why didn't I show up and that he was waiting for ages. They way he spoke about women made me feel uncomfortable every woman was a slut but he'd brush it off as he's only messing other signs that led me to believe he was a sociopath were speeding while i was in the passenger seat and locking the doors, driving close to pedestrians, calling people names under his breath in public and when they ask him what did he say he'd smile and say nothing or charm his way out of it, he'd make up stories about my friends and just lie in general and say bad and derogatory things about me. I blocked him from social media and from my phone but he leaves voice messages every so often looking to meet up for a drink or calls round to the house every once in a blue moon like everything's ok but I don't answer the door to him, He's never apologised once for anything ever, the blame is always put on me or someone else. I confronted him once and called him out and actually called him a sociopath to which he laughed at and said he's a great actor but I feel like i'm the only person who knows what he's like

Advertisement