Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance on two cars by one person

• 12-06-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, have 2 cars, one for summer to trip about with family and friends on hols etc..(a 7 seater).
    The other for winter driving to work etc, on bad wet/ icy roads.(jeep type)
    Currently have only jeep insured as have just got 7 seater and amfixing couple wee things for nct.
    My question is, does any insurer out there let me insure one for 6 mths, then change it for other 6 mths onto other car?
    Or do i have to get 2 seperate policys?
    If 2 policys, will a company give a discount on 2nd car if getting both insured in my name? Or do i have to insure each car with different companies for full year on each??
    Odd question i guess, but may get a answer here.thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

if you insured the jeep for six months and then sold the jeep, then insured the other car all would be fine. With this in mind I can't see what problem insuring the cars for 6 months each on the same policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    if you insured the jeep for six months and then sold the jeep, then insured the other car all would be fine. With this in mind I can't see what problem insuring the cars for 6 months each on the same policy

What if the uninsured car was stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Hi, have 2 cars, one for summer to trip about with family and friends on hols etc..(a 7 seater).
    The other for winter driving to work etc, on bad wet/ icy roads.(jeep type)
    Currently have only jeep insured as have just got 7 seater and amfixing couple wee things for nct.
    My question is, does any insurer out there let me insure one for 6 mths, then change it for other 6 mths onto other car?
    Or do i have to get 2 seperate policys?
    If 2 policys, will a company give a discount on 2nd car if getting both insured in my name? Or do i have to insure each car with different companies for full year on each??

You'll only get your no claims bonus on one car and you'll have to build up a no claims bonus on the second car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Should be no problem insuring your 7 seater for the summer, and then switching vehicle on your policy (into your jeep) for the winter.
    And do the same excercise next year.

I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You'll only get your no claims bonus on one car and you'll have to build up a no claims bonus on the second car.

But OP doesn't need both cars to be insured at the same time.

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote:
    What if the uninsured car was stolen?

Totally agree but op asked about insuring each vehicle for 6 months. I'm assuming that they know that there would only be cover on one at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Totally agree but op asked about insuring each vehicle for 6 months. I'm assuming that they know that there would only be cover on one at a time
    Never assume,as my Dad used to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

...and that's one of the major things wrong with car insurance in Ireland. I've earned my no claims bonus, not the car. I can only drive one at a time.

I had 2 cars on one NCB when I lived elsewhere in Europe. Why not here?

Falcon L wrote: »
    ...and that's one of the major things wrong with car insurance in Ireland. I've earned my no claims bonus, not the car. I can only drive one at a time.

I had 2 cars on one NCB when I lived elsewhere in Europe. Why not here?

Yes, but you are forgetting what's been said in other threads recently, that insurers hardly make any money here in Ireland and they'd be more than happy to leave the market only if they could. It's just these extraordinary high payouts here that force them insurers to use the tricks like that of accepting only ncb on one car, not insuring older car and sky rocketing our premium on every excuse.
    Poor insurers. We should be sorry for them, understand their trouble and support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes, but you are forgetting what's been said in other threads recently, that insurers hardly make any money here in Ireland and they'd be more than happy to leave the market only if they could. It's just these extraordinary high payouts here that force them insurers to use the tricks like that of accepting only ncb on one car, not insuring older car and sky rocketing our premium on every excuse.
    Poor insurers. We should be sorry for them, understand their trouble and support them.
    We really need a sarcasm smilie on this forum, don't we? :D

• Advertisement

But OP doesn't need both cars to be insured at the same time.

Read the last few questions in their op ;)

My question is, does any insurer out there let me insure one for 6 mths, then change it for other 6 mths onto other car? A YES
    Or do i have to get 2 seperate policys? A NO
    If 2 policys, will a company give a discount on 2nd car if getting both insured in my name? N/A
    Or do i have to insure each car with different companies for full year on each?? N/A

It is better to have both cars insured at the same time but there is nothing stopping you having one policy on one car & changing to the other car after 6 months. They may charge a fee after 6 months because the 2n car may be more expensive to insure.

Read the last few questions in their op ;)

OP asked those questions, because he wasn't sure if answer to his first question was yes.
    And as it is "yes", those last few questions don't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rather than leapfrogging the insurance, see if you can get a 2-car deal from various brokers/insurers.
    Start by getting a quote for MultiCar with Axa

OP - I've been doing much more excercise with my wife's policy last year, and it worked out no problem.

Policy started in January on a car1 we had. Then in July we switched the policy temporarily (using online system) to a different car2 we had (which was out of use beforehand). It cost nothing. We just needed to drive that car2 for a month, while other car1 was not needed.
    As we didn't receive updated policy cert, I rang them and asked for it, and they said they don't do it for temporarily policy transfers, and they also told me that temporary transfer of car on a policy can not be into car which is registered in our name (car2 was registered in our name). I was surprised, and explained that I was never informed about this neither in the policy or in their online system where I did the switch, so they agreed to keep it like that, and they issued insurance cert for that temporary car for one month.
    Then after 1 month policy was back to car1.

Then in October we sold car1, and bought car3, so I did a permanent car swap on a policy into car3.
    In December as we didn't need car3 anymore to be covered, I swapped policy permanently to car2 again, which wasn't in use since July.

All those swaps cost me absolutely nothing, and all done online.

Then in January, they refused to renew policy based on fact that car insured (car2 at the time) was declared off the road and without NCT, but that's a different story.

OP asked those questions, because he wasn't sure if answer to his first question was yes.
    And as it is "yes", those last few questions don't apply.

You're really clutching at straws to get the last word :rolleyes:

Then in January, they refused to renew policy based on fact that car insured (car2 at the time) was declared off the road and without NCT, but that's a different story.

I bet you can start a new thread on this alone. :)

I bet you can start a new thread on this alone. :)

Well I aleady did - back in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

OP - I've been doing much more excercise with my wife's policy last year, and it worked out no problem.

Policy started in January on a car1 we had. Then in July we switched the policy temporarily (using online system) to a different car2 we had (which was out of use beforehand). It cost nothing. We just needed to drive that car2 for a month, while other car1 was not needed.
    As we didn't receive updated policy cert, I rang them and asked for it, and they said they don't do it for temporarily policy transfers, and they also told me that temporary transfer of car on a policy can not be into car which is registered in our name (car2 was registered in our name).

To all those insurance experts - where is the "Insurable Interest" now? There ALWAYS is interest with TPL insurances.
    I was surprised, and explained that I was never informed about this neither in the policy or in their online system where I did the switch, so they agreed to keep it like that, and they issued insurance cert for that temporary car for one month. Then after 1 month policy was back to car1.

Then in October we sold car1, and bought car3, so I did a permanent car swap on a policy into car3.
    In December as we didn't need car3 anymore to be covered, I swapped policy permanently to car2 again, which wasn't in use since July.

All those swaps cost me absolutely nothing, and all done online.

That's another nonsense - you cannot drive it, but it still can be stolen...

What is this company - as their online system seems rather ok.

grogi wrote: »
    To all those insurance experts - where is the "Insurable Interest" now? There ALWAYS is interest with TPL insurances.

That's another nonsense - you cannot drive it, but it still can be stolen...

What is this company - as their online system seems rather ok.

Company was Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You are being a bit light with the facts there Cinio, couldn't be to paint the insurance company as being ****, could it?

If its the thread I'm thinking it is of course.

You are being a bit light with the facts there Cinio, couldn't be to paint the insurance company as being ****, could it?

If its the thread I'm thinking it is of course.

Well, Saul where actually did I paint the insurance company as being **** in this current thread?

I know I normally do in most threads, but actually I didn't in this one I think.

And facts - what facts?
    If you are referring to facts from other threads, that one or few of those cars were driven abroad - well - what's the difference if insurance company didn't know about it? It definitely couldn't be a reason they refused to renew policy, as they didn't know car was abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

My question is, does any insurer out there let me insure one for 6 mths, then change it for other 6 mths onto other car? A YES
    Or do i have to get 2 seperate policys? A NO
    If 2 policys, will a company give a discount on 2nd car if getting both insured in my name? N/A
    Or do i have to insure each car with different companies for full year on each?? N/A

It is better to have both cars insured at the same time but there is nothing stopping you having one policy on one car & changing to the other car after 6 months. They may charge a fee after 6 months because the 2n car may be more expensive to insure.

If you are not using a car, as in not full time living in Ireland, insurers will usualy advise you to keep Fire and Theft insurance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well, Saul where actually did I paint the insurance company as being **** in this current thread?

I know I normally do in most threads, but actually I didn't in this one I think.

And facts - what facts?
    If you are referring to facts from other threads, that one or few of those cars were driven abroad - well - what's the difference if insurance company didn't know about it? It definitely couldn't be a reason they refused to renew policy, as they didn't know car was abroad.

You posted above that the insurer refused to renew the policy, without any other supporting information, that's painting the insurer as doing something wrong for no good reason ie being ****.

The case I'm referring to was when you took umbrage with the insurer requesting a valid nct before you got your renewal terms. You had the car in Poland so could not get it nct'd, you had not declared to the insurer where it was kept at night which was a change to material fact and by not telling them it was non disclosure. If they had have been told they would have cancelled the policy.

So saying the insurer wouldn't renew the policy because the car was declared off the road, while strictly true, is leaving out some very pertinent information. It is possible / likely that they thought something fishy was going on what with the chopping and changing onto vehicles you owned.

Also, i said it in the last thread, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to motor insurance so you saying above you didn't know you couldnt do a temp sub onto a car you owned is absolutely loltacular.

You posted above that the insurer refused to renew the policy, without any other supporting information, that's painting the insurer as doing something wrong for no good reason ie being ****.
    I clearly said above, that they refused to renew policy based on fact car was declared off the road and not NCTed.
    That's all the information they based their refusal.
    The case I'm referring to was when you took umbrage with the insurer requesting a valid nct before you got your renewal terms. You had the car in Poland so could not get it nct'd, you had not declared to the insurer where it was kept at night which was a change to material fact and by not telling them it was non disclosure. If they had have been told they would have cancelled the policy.
    Maybe, or maybe not.
    IMO this is still discussable, if you have to inform insurer about every time you keep your car somewhere else than at your registered home address for a while.
    But that has nothing to do with refusal or renewal of policy, so is quite irrelevant here.
    So saying the insurer wouldn't renew the policy because the car was declared off the road, while strictly true, is leaving out some very pertinent information.
    As above - only other relevant information was that car was not NCTed, and I wrote it in my post above.
    It is possible / likely that they thought something fishy was going on what with the chopping and changing onto vehicles you owned.
    I agree. It is possible, but I actually doubt it.
    Anyway - I wrote about it as well (about all car changes on policy) above, so you hardly can say I'm painting insurer as being **** without providing fact, as I stated all the facts here. Only fact which I didn't state above was that car was located abroad during the policy transfer and renewal, but as insurer didn't know about it, they couldn't base their renewal refusal on that.
    Also, i said it in the last thread, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to motor insurance so you saying above you didn't know you couldnt do a temp sub onto a car you owned is absolutely loltacular.

Thanks you for saying that I'm knowledgable. That's very nice :)

But if so, I only know things because I like reading. I probably read good few insurance policy documents from cover to cover, and I never seen any written statement saying that you can't transfer policy temporarily onto your own car.

So yes - I genuinely wasn't aware of that until I was told by them.
    But as you see, they agreed to do it anyway, so that was actually quite positive outcome.

Advertisement