Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unRAID mini ITX build

Options
  • 12-06-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I bricked my HP Microserver today after giving it a spring clean. Looks like my SATA card wasn't seated correctly when I powered it on. So now I need to build a replacement. I can salvage some parts so hopefully I can keep the cost down.

1. What is your budget? I hope to keep it under couple of hundred.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? NAS/Plex. My old n54l sucked at transcoding so I want to sort that out once and for all.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Nope. UnRAID

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

Fan
    5 WD red 3tb
    1 Samsong SSD
    PicoPSU 160w (only a 120w power brick, brand new, could return for a bigger one)
    2 port SATA III CARD
    G-Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 CL9.0 Dual Kit

Hopefully I'll have a Lian-Li PC-Q08 case.

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5a. If yes, what size do you need

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I may underclock. Lol.

8. How can you pay? Credit card/bank transfer/paypal

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed

Basically I think I'll need a mini ITX board with 6x SATA 6GB ports. Preference is for an 1150 or 1151 socket and I may be able to source a CPU handy enough. I'm assuming my RAM will be usable, but is there likely to be any point in upgrading to DDR4?

I'll need some SATA cables. If anyone knows where I could pick up half a dozen cheap that would help.

Comments

Advertisement