Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help sick dog

• 13-06-2016 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Have a sick dog he's on steroids for grass mite allergy tormented poor guy. I brought him to emergency vet today and he gave him two steroid injections and advocate on his neck was a lot better all day no scratching panting gave him steroid tablet as well tonight and he is back to scratching poor guy his eating the legs off himself it seems to be worse at night
    It effects his breathing his ears are so hot I put him in shower to try give him relief which he loved and seems to off eased it a bit anyone and suggestions. I know I probably shouldn't of showered him cause I washed off the advocate but I needed to do something two night no sleep with him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

cindrella wrote: »
    Have a sick dog he's on steroids for grass mite allergy tormented poor guy. I brought him to emergency vet today and he gave him two steroid injections and advocate on his neck was a lot better all day no scratching panting gave him steroid tablet as well tonight and he is back to scratching poor guy his eating the legs off himself it seems to be worse at night
    It effects his breathing his ears are so hot I put him in shower to try give him relief which he loved and seems to off eased it a bit anyone and suggestions. I know I probably shouldn't of showered him cause I washed off the advocate but I needed to do something two night no sleep with him.

Maybe take him to the vet in the morning. Or to UCD Vet Hospital now if its really urgent.

The poor fellow. All you can do until tomorrow is stick to the treatment, and if he's seriously disressed, alleviate it with a shower.

Do you have any anti itch cream in the house? kids' hydrocortisone or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Have you tried him with Piriton? One of ours gets a few summer allergies, drop a piriton down her throat and she's grand

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've moved this thread from After Hours to Animals & Pets Issues.
    If you are following this thread from AH, please read the Charter of this forum before posting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How long has your dog been suffering with this op?
    How was the condition diagnosed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cindrella

DBB wrote: »
    How long has your dog been suffering with this op?
    How was the condition diagnosed?

He gets it every year this year been the worse brought him back to vet this evening he hasn't been scratching and normally doesn't till night time he feels hot and not himself vet said gave him another injection tonight was anti inflammatory . He is asleep now but his breathing is rapid which I don't like

Poor dog... Though the fast breathing is something that most of us will notice in our dogs, especially hairy dogs, on these warm nights.
    Okay... Harvest mites. They are immensely itchy... Speaking from personal experience here :o
    I've also had a lot of rescue dogs badly affected by them, and to be honest... I've never really found that Advocate fully addresses the problem. It may help reduce an infestation, but I have never found it to totally clear it.
    One problem is that once you kill off the mites that are already on board, every time your dog goes outside he's picking up more of them.
    I'm not sure if it's still available, but I always went full chemical warfare against them with a bath of Tac-Tic. Brilliant stuff. Stinky, but brilliant. It kills everything, which means you can now work on prevention rather than cure.
    Then, I make up an apple cider vinegar and water spray (4 parts water to 1 part ACV), and if I can get it, a spoonful of boric acid mixed in... Most chemists have it. This mixture seems to keep the dog's skin and coat hostile to any hangers-on, preventing a re-infestation.
    It is sprayed onto the dog, or wiped on with a cloth, every time he comes in from outside. It's important to really douse his feet, because this is where the little buggers climb on board. His legs, tummy and chest too.
    Good luck op... I can fully empathise with dogs when they pick up harvest mites... The intense, burning itching is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cindrella

DBB wrote: »
    Poor dog... Though the fast breathing is something that most of us will notice in our dogs, especially hairy dogs, on these warm nights.
    Okay... Harvest mites. They are immensely itchy... Speaking from personal experience here :o
    I've also had a lot of rescue dogs badly affected by them, and to be honest... I've never really found that Advocate fully addresses the problem. It may help reduce an infestation, but I have never found it to totally clear it.
    One problem is that once you kill off the mites that are already on board, every time your dog goes outside he's picking up more of them.
    I'm not sure if it's still available, but I always went full chemical warfare against them with a bath of Tac-Tic. Brilliant stuff. Stinky, but brilliant. It kills everything, which means you can now work on prevention rather than cure.
    Then, I make up an apple cider vinegar and water spray (4 parts water to 1 part ACV), and if I can get it, a spoonful of boric acid mixed in... Most chemists have it. This mixture seems to keep the dog's skin and coat hostile to any hangers-on, preventing a re-infestation.
    It is sprayed onto the dog, or wiped on with a cloth, every time he comes in from outside. It's important to really douse his feet, because this is where the little buggers climb on board. His legs, tummy and chest too.
    Good luck op... I can fully empathise with dogs when they pick up harvest mites... The intense, burning itching is horrendous.

He's not itching anymore but I'm sure that's because of all the steroid injections the vet gave him he also been on steroid tablets which I hate he gave him injection of antiflamatory also last night. I now have a dog who is breathing very fast not panting and very latergic no energy sleeping eating and drinking that's about it very sad to see him this way and be has ballooned he is a Jack Russell he has always been slightly over weight but always full of energy now he doesn't have the energy the postman came today and he didn't even lift his head normally he is waiting and goes crazy.I'm suppose to give him 2 5mg of predistone a day I have only given him half of one so 2.5 and he's like this

It might do no harm to give your vet a call to ask if he/she is okay with how your dog is reacting. Whilst the increased thirst, hunger, and increased peeing are common side effects of preds, and certainly some humans report feeling lethargic when they're on steroids, I think it'd be best to just have a chat with your vet to make sure all is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

cindrella wrote: »
    He's not itching anymore but I'm sure that's because of all the steroid injections the vet gave him he also been on steroid tablets which I hate he gave him injection of antiflamatory also last night. I now have a dog who is breathing very fast not panting and very latergic no energy sleeping eating and drinking that's about it very sad to see him this way and be has ballooned he is a Jack Russell he has always been slightly over weight but always full of energy now he doesn't have the energy the postman came today and he didn't even lift his head normally he is waiting and goes crazy.I'm suppose to give him 2 5mg of predistone a day I have only given him half of one so 2.5 and he's like this

Just be careful cutting his steroid dose, I don't know a lot about it but I know the dose should be tapered down when reducing, it shouldnt be reduced suddenly or drastically. While I think this is more relevant for long term use , no harm being aware. Its something to do with the adrenal system not being able to produce enough cortisol for the body if they're suddenly stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

cindrella wrote:
    I now have a dog who is breathing very fast not panting and very latergic no energy sleeping eating and drinking that's about it very sad to see him this way and be has ballooned he is a Jack Russell he has always been slightly over weight but always full of energy now he doesn't have the energy the postman came today and he didn't even lift his head normally he is waiting and goes crazy.I'm suppose to give him 2 5mg of predistone a day I have only given him half of one so 2.5 and he's like this

Hi OP,
    Our JRx has seasonal allergies, mostly to certain types of grass. Over the years he has been on steroids for this including the one you mentioned above. While on these his weight ballooned which was put down to the extra water he was drinking while on the steroid which is seemingly a common side effect along with increased appetite. I also found him to be lethargic on these. To be quite honest one day while he was lying on his side I got a terrible fright when I saw how much larger he had gotten, he basically looked like a beached whale!!! We looked into alternatives to steroids as I didn't like the effect these were having on his little body. Perhaps speak to your vet about alternatives to the steroids if you feel these don't suit your dog.

Advertisement