Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma3 and basic video editing build.

Options
  • 13-06-2016 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

A while back you kind folks helped me with a htpc build, so Im returning to bother you again.

Looking for a spec that will see Arma 3 (and the Apex expansion) run smoothly with the fancies turned on at 1080p only. Doesn't need to be triple figure frame rates, a stable 60 fps would do.

Money wise I'm not too sure as I don't know what will be required. Ideally I'd like it for half the number I have in my head right now nut I'm sorta reasonably kinda almost flexible.

Only thing I dont need is a monitor. And other than a bit of very safe cpu overclocking, I'm not much of a tinkerer.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

I was looking at something like this, but I'll very happily spend less if I can get away with it. Also not married to any part, just trying to balance bang for the buck with this list...
    PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6XHnQV
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6XHnQV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.28 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£81.38 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£56.93 @ More Computers)
    Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£52.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.88 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card (£138.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£37.65 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£56.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard (£13.22 @ More Computers)
    Mouse: Gigabyte M6880 Wired Laser Mouse (£19.56 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £661.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 10:51 BST+0100

In case it's an issue, I can use an address in Derry for the UK deliveries & I'm ordering right away as soon as I get the parts list nailed down.

Final wee plea for opinions if possible before I order tomorrow. Anything that's glaringly incorrect or unsuitable? Or is there something else I should be looking at. Thanks again folks. I'll leave yous in peace after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd drop the 380 and wait for the 480s release at the end of this month. Bit more expensive but far higher performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

If you are playing mostly arma try stick to nvidia. A second hand 970 will cost you 250 or less.

Try install on an ssd.

As much as I'd love to wait to the end of the month before stumping up the cash, there's a couple of videos that I have to get out asap, so I need to buy now and just take my oil. Also on reflection I think I'm probably already going to be in bother with she-who-must-be-obeyed, spending that much so probably couldn't push to that much extra unless I chopped or changed something else.

On the second hand 970, I'll have a look now on adverts. Again, because of the extra cash is there anything I should be thinking of sacrificing or changing in the rest of the build.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The 970s got a price drop and start at 260 euro new. If you are looking second hand for them I wouldnt pay anywhere over 200 right now.

Yep, noticed that the few on adverts.ie were roughly the same price I could buy new. So much of a disparity I didn't even both putting in an offer.

Have a 7850 that I'm going to use until I see what way the 480s are priced, or if it affects the price of other cards. Other than the gpu does the rest of the bits and pieces look like it should?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Looks good but could you manage to get it cheaper from one seller overall (even if 1/2 bits of hardware is more expensive)?

Aye, went with AmazonUK. They had everything pretty much a similar price as anybody else give or take a pound or two on a few items (except the gpu, but I didn't get that yet anyway so makes no difference) and free delivery. Plus the few times I've had call to use their customer service they've been handy enough to work with.

Should be here Thursday. Never had an SSD before. Anything I should know before hand. Only thing I expect to be installed on it will be the OS and Arma3. Everything else I'm assuming can go on the HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

James74 wrote: »
    Anything I should know before hand. Only thing I expect to be installed on it will be the OS and Arma3. Everything else I'm assuming can go on the HDD.
    Install the video editing application on the SSD, and process the videos on the SSD, if you have space. Move the finished products to the HDD, but try to do all editing on the SSD.

the_syco wrote: »
    Install the video editing application on the SSD, and process the videos on the SSD, if you have space. Move the finished products to the HDD, but try to do all editing on the SSD.

Aye, will be doing that. I have another HDD I'll be using as a scratch disk for the big video files. Sort of regretting not getting a bigger SSD but I'll stick a bigger one in down the line.

How bad is it waiting for a feckin' delivery van. I'm like a wain at Christmas. I really should have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

ahh good man james!
    making a returning to the gaming scene one again! gives a shout one of the days

Laviski wrote: »
    ahh good man james!
    making a returning to the gaming scene one again! gives a shout one of the days

Ah here now... it took me an age to get away from you feckers. And now here I am still only putting the thing together and yer here to drag me back down. Feck it! Let the games begin :D

Advertisement