Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog urine smell in yard

• 13-06-2016 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have two lurcher type dogs and not a lot of space.
    I got the dogs cos I run a lot on the beach and they suit me.
    But the smell of dog urine is driving me mad especially now that the good weather is coming. My concrete yard is only about 25 square meters

I built a dog toilet around the side of my house out of a hugh old shower tray
    But am not sure of the best way to get them to pea in it.

When i bring one around to go to the toilet there in the morning they look at me as if I have 4 heads and out-wait me (20 mins and nothing)

any tips
    How to get a dog to go to the toilet in a smallish area? anyone manage to do this?
    all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

How old are the dogs?
    Are they male or female?
    Are you there when they are in the yard? (i.e. supervised pee-ing!!)
    You could try taking them to the area you want them to pee in, when they are being taken out at night or in the a.m. - put them on a leash - make specific 'command' - PEE! Then when they do actually pee where you want them to, give them a treat, and make a big fuss. You would have to do this for several days - the command and the treats in the specific area.

Otherwise your option is to take a bucket of water with a smell removing cleaner in it, and throw it over the concrete, then a quick run over it with a yard brush. You will discover how often you will need to do this to remove the smell. Be careful its a non-ammonia based cleaner, and that its one that wont be bad for the dogs paws. You could use a hose too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It would be very hard to persuade a dog not to pee somewhere that already stinks of it. You need a major clean up be for attempting to train them to go in the shower tray. Jeyes fluid is the only man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Thanks for the responses folks

aonb One is 2 the other is 3 both males
    I have an enclosed yard and a door flap so they go in and out as they please
    Im getting tired of cleaning the yard its a full-time job
    Im going to try locking the flap door at night and bringing them to the tray in the morning what you reckon and i suppose I need to just wait and wait.

Cherry Blossom I Have used jeys fluid a few times
    but the place would smell of jeys fluid all the time. Im going to try biological washing powder today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I were you I would embrace it, and get the tourists in.

(check the title of the thread ;) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it a ceramic shower tray? Dogs are very unlikely to (a) want to assume the peeing position whilst on a slippery surface, and (b) want to pee on a surface where it'll splash back on them.
    If you want them to pee in it, I'd be inclined to fill it with sand, or other absorbent substrate.
    Although perhaps you could invoke help from On High :D (thread title :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The bio powder works really well and prefect timing with the rainy weather to help wash it away after you hose it down. I have to say I LOVE the smell of Jeyes but we know our neighbour doesn't so don't use it unless she's away lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

power hose every few weeks and jeeves fluid will get rid of the smell!

DBB Yes Ive thought of that its full of sand

ill let ye know how it goes Just have to get a comfortable seat near the litter box

thanks for the responses folks

ps how do you change the title in this thing?

if the moderator could get god out of the title id be grateful (I think god might have more pressing matters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

OP, get yourself one of those flatpack raised planting beds from B&Q or Woodies. (One like this:https://www.quickcrop.ie/site/uploads/sys_products/9-inch-high-allotment-style.jpg)
    Place it where you want the dogs to pee etc., and sprinkle a bit of sand over the whole area inside it.
    The dogs will get used to using it, and soon you will be able to dispense with the sand altogether as they will still crap in there as long as there isn't a crap already in there.

As regards disinfecting the yard and odour control, I used to buy the gallon drums of Jeyes Fluid from the cash n carry, but the annual cost was ridiculous. For a few quid more than the cost of a 5L container of Jeyes Fluid, you can get a 25L drum of Odourfresh delivered to your door. I put 200ml of Odourfresh into a 10L sprayer and spray where they pee every evening, and when I do my weekly power wash I spray the whole yard with it when I'm done.

A 25L drum has lasted me over 2 years for a cost of less than €60, whereas 5L Jeyes at €35 only lasted the month.

Here's where I get the Odourfresh:http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/pet-products/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-premium

• Advertisement

OP, Here's where I get the Odourfresh:http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/p...ectant-premium[/url]

Thats what I was looking for thanks I knew such a thing existed

The thing in B and q looks the same size as the dog toilet ive made so ill try that first

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

2 and 3 year old males might take a lot of patience to train! Although being lurchers they are probably very bright and biddable.

I detest the smell of Jeyes Fluid :p so anything other than that! But OP when you get into a routine, if you wash down the yard once/week with a good de-odoriser that should do it

@randy hickey

This stuff is magic thanks again
    http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/pet-products/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-premium
    initial smell of lavender to no smell at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I'd go for a very simple solution: bakingsoda and vinegar. Firstly, it's all natural and not poisonous (like Jeys fluid HATE that stuff) and it's really powerful.For example: One of my cats must have dragged a rabbit into one of the backrooms a few month ago.I don't use that room a lot, hardly ever go in there.It doesn't even have carpet in it(thankfully). either way, I had to go in there a while back..and came across a long dead body of a rabbit, half eaten..you can imagine the smell. After dutifully puking my guts out,I moved on to removing the remains.The smell stayed.Tried everything.But baking soda and vinegar did the trick, together with an open window draft within a week...might be worth a try for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

mufflets2 wrote: »
    @randy hickey

This stuff is magic thanks again
    http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/pet-products/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-premium
    initial smell of lavender to no smell at all

Yeah, once you discover Odourfresh you'll never go back to Jeyes fluid.
    Also, you can specify different scents when you order it, like bubblegum, cherry, spearmint, eucalyptus, baby powder etc. etc.
    Just had a quick check and there are eleven different scents!

The only other thing to watch out for is the listings on Amazon/Ebay which appear to be good value until you realise that they're actually selling the ordinary Odourfresh, whereas you can get the Odourfresh Premium, which is twice the concentration, giving twice the volume of the ordinary one when diluted down, for the exact same price direct from the manufacturer in Antrim.

Also worth mentioning that they do a whole range of pet products at excellent value:
    http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/pet-products

I have my yard back using the stuff mentioned above - its got enzymes and chemicals in it to kill animal smells and drys to leave no smell at all (and thats in a well urinated yard) plus you get gallons of it for small money.

magic!!!

ps I got the premium stuff, delivered to the door from Antrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

going to give it a try.the cats and the dog are neutered but still when cats p** anywhere...>yuk<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I love their baby powder cleaner, but also bubblegum. Ah, who am I kidding, I love them all

Advertisement