Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Thermal trip

Options
  • 13-06-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Lately have been getting the warning as in the thread title on occasion. It's an intel nuc running w10 with a Celeron n2820 & 8gb ram.
    I guess it suggests the processor has overheated but the warning will show up after the unit has been completely powered down & unplugged for a couple of days, it boots normally after about 2 mins.
    This is just a recent occurrence & any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Anyone come across this type of warning before ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't seen it in ages, but years ago I saw thermal issues in a machine where the thermal paste had partially separated from the CPU so that there was a patch in the middle of the surface which wasn't dumping heat to the heatsink. Once identified it was easily solved by removing the heatsink, cleaning off and replacing the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

I've had it a couple of times. Once on a desktop, I just replaced the thermal paste. I think arctic silver was the brand I used and that fixed it.

Then it happened on a laptop, I removed the heatsink and cleaned all the dust out of it which seemed to to help a bit, but ultimately I never fixed the problem, the laptop had to be used on a cooling pad or it would shutdown after 15-20mins. I think the CPU was just dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Can you give the full number of NUC?
    CPUs not being cooled properly can heat up very quickly but the fact that it runs fine afterwards suggests its not a heating issue most likely.

Assuming it is a heating issue
    their are a few simple things to try.
    You can download various software packages to monitor CPU temps I use HWinfo or the BIOS utiliy

(1) First check that the the NUC is free of dust and ventilation slots are clean and clear of dust debris.

(2) Next remove motherboard as per video and check that fan is clean of dust and spinning freely.

(3) If the fan looks fine Reseat the CPU as per video just lift the unit off and put it straight back on.

(4) If that does not work you can try reapply the thermal paste on CPU as shown in video
    You need to get CPU Thermal paste and ideally cleaning fluid and lint free cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

NUC - DN2820FYKH
    CELERON - N2830 @ 2.16GHz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

googling NUC - DN2820FYKH Processor Thermal trip gives a lot of results at "communities.intel.site " forum and elsewhere. you are not the only one.
    Did you change anything on system before this happened? upgrade to windows 10, bios update?

might be worth starting a thread there at the intel comminutes forum site or just reading thru results.
    This would be the place to go
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/52119

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

It could also be a faulty sensor. I had a similar issue that I had to troubleshoot, and I took down SpeedFan and view what the computer thought was happening with the processor. What temp it was at what the rpm of the fans were, and to make sure that the fans are working.

You can also use a program called HeavyLoad to put a load on the processor (to force the temperature up).

Advertisement