Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pool advice - Terenure/Rathfarnham

Options
  • 13-06-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving back southside - Terenure/Rathfarnham.
    I'm working in Eastpoint.

I need to find a new pool.

Any suggestions for a pool that is clean, not too pricey (or at least worth it if it is) and would work location wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How would UCD work? Could head in on way to work?

Nicest pool I've ever used. Clean, big and has decent opening hours. Main drawback would be how busy it can be from 6-7.30. Swim club and few Tri clubs use lanes so not always the easiest to get your exact set done.

Other than that when my pool closed the ones I looked at where Trinity, Tara Street (Dublin city council), and Westwood. There is the Swan centre in Rathmines that might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Templeogue College is used by a good few clubs, haven't been there myself in the past decade so not sure what its like now.

Swan center in Rathmines I liked when I used it. On the way into town and has a decent gym

Meadowbrook in Balinteer is also good. Not on the way into work but still accessible and also have a gym

Terenure college pool can be good. Good location and beside the park for running before/after

All of the above have been redeveloped in the past 10 years bar Templeogue and are nice for swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Also another option would be to join Ben Dunne Carlisle and get access to the gym also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

UCD is really nice spotlessly clean but pricey,swan center clean and cheap,templeouge and terenure clean enough and cheap and the masters sessions in templeouge are good,ben dunnes is cheap but good pool etiquete is non existant wouldnt swim there again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheap - carlisle
    You could look at Wespark in tallaght (20m pool)
    I've left Westwood Leopardstown, too expensive for what you get. David Lloyd and UCD are similar prices to Westwood (and similar locations)
    Personally thinking of Carlisle or Westpark now myself. Meadowbrook rarely have lane swimming so not worth it for me - similar to Tallaght Leisure Centre times early mornings and 9pm.

joey100 wrote: »
    How would UCD work? Could head in on way to work?

Nicest pool I've ever used. Clean, big and has decent opening hours. Main drawback would be how busy it can be from 6-7.30. Swim club and few Tri clubs use lanes so not always the easiest to get your exact set done.

Other than that when my pool closed the ones I looked at where Trinity, Tara Street (Dublin city council), and Westwood. There is the Swan centre in Rathmines that might work too.

Do UCD charge per month? Drives me mad that gyms won't display prices on their website and try drag you in to give you price. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I guess when it comes to clean pool, hard to beat the ESB pool with ozone treatment and v little chlorine. would be the 2nd closest
    pool for lunch time swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I hadnt realised Sportsco is ozone treated! Im working just down the road now so must loo into that. Many here members? What kinda price would i be looking at (they seem to be one of these culty gyms that wont advertise their prices! Might call and ask about the corporate rate and see how i get on too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

UCD is ozone treated and sand filtrated so is low chlorine. It can be expensive, rates vary for public, grad, staff, student, etc. You can get a free day pass on the website if you want to try it out.

• Advertisement

@ Racoon, I'm paying about 53 a month but there's 2 options, one has the car park included and you get to use the fancy changing rooms with towels provided, handy when your towel could be in your sports bag otherwise until around 6. The other you use the group changing rooms and bring your own towel. Think that was around 47-ish. Both fairly expensive. Haggle with them, we got some rate because Laura works in Vincents and UCD have some science research down there. They were nearly looking for an excuse to give the discount so I'd say it's built into the advertised prices.

Even though it is expensive and can be busy it's a great pool. 50m pretty much the whole time and spotless clean. I'd suffer with my sinuses in other pools but have had no problems at all with UCD, always feel grand after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

@ Racoon, I'm paying about 53 a month but there's 2 options, one has the car park included and you get to use the fancy changing rooms with towels provided, handy when your towel could be in your sports bag otherwise until around 6. The other you use the group changing rooms and bring your own towel. Think that was around 47-ish. Both fairly expensive. Haggle with them, we got some rate because Laura works in Vincents and UCD have some science research down there. They were nearly looking for an excuse to give the discount so I'd say it's built into the advertised prices.

Even though it is expensive and can be busy it's a great pool. 50m pretty much the whole time and spotless clean. I'd suffer with my sinuses in other pools but have had no problems at all with UCD, always feel grand after it.

Westwood clontarf is 80 euro a month............

I seen that alright, I wanted to go check them out but when they told me the prices I changed my mind, still get a fake 'cheque' off them every now and again in the post for around 500 euro, but has to be used off their membership and you have to pay the year upfront and it's around 900 euro. Crazy expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Do UCD charge per month? Drives me mad that gyms won't display prices on their website and try drag you in to give you price. :mad:

Well worth every penny!!! Member for over a year, the pool is always 50m.
    They have different opinions depending on which changing rooms you're doing for, parking, towels etc.
    Might be worthwhile to try to get the joining fee reduced (usually 100/member, we got 39 once off)
    If you're a member of LIA IoB or a graduate, the will offer you a discount

I paid 55 a month for off peak in Westwood. Pool was ok but often very busy, very narrow lanes and changing rooms were awful...and of course off peak hours mean only mornings for a decent swim.
    I paid about 300 a year in liffey valley fitness, 33m pool and quiet lanes. Changing rooms no worse than Westwood who charge a premium. I miss Liffey Valley actually - perfect for someone who just wants a pool to swim in.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I think Meadowbrook and other dlr places have the best ROI - I think it's €280 for swimming only in any of their 3 places and something like €80 more if you want gym and other fitness facilities included. Sometimes you have to find appropriate times if you can't make it in the morning time slots, but it's still worth the money invested IMO (worst part for me is adhering to 45 min slots during weekend afternoon swims and other than in Loughlinstown they don't allow you to connect session which is something I don't understand at all, but than again, for paying less than €30 per month it's well worth it)

Advertisement