Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Ireland vs Sweden 5pm KO

• 13-06-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No match thread yet?

RgyVxiR.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/emmet-malone-ireland-return-to-paris-with-a-point-to-prove-1.2681963
    More than six years after the drama that accompanied their World Cup exit at the hands of France, Ireland return to the Stade de France with an unrelated point to prove.

Having effectively finished last at their last European Championships, they are in France first and foremost because of the expanded format and the primary aim now must be to show that they are not just, as the players like to say, here to make up the numbers.

Not for the first time, Martin O’Neill has called on his squad to “make their mark” on the tournament and that might safely be translated as securing a place in the second round. Anything other than victory over Sweden, though, and that will start to look like a little more of a long shot.

Four years ago, beating anyone at this level proved well beyond Giovanni Trapattoni’s side, but the significant improvement shown over the second half of the qualification campaign have changed the way this team is viewed.

Just one win might be enough to secure a place in the last 16, and though Robbie Keane insists that they felt the same way in Poland, this time there is much more of a basis for believing qualification is not entirely beyond them.
    Sweden might be more than a one-man team but their “one” is the primary reason they will start this game as marginal favourites. If Zlatan Ibrahimovic is not fairly effectively contained over the course of these 90 minutes then Ireland will be lucky to escape with anything.

Emil Forsberg, out on the left, will provide an important supply line for the Swedish skipper, and Seamus Coleman’s ability to strike a balance nullifying him and posing a threat of his own is likely to form another of the game’s key encounters.
    In terms of his team, O’Neill has big decisions to make in quite a few departments. At the back it is almost any one from three to partner likely captain John O’Shea, and Robbie Brady’s starting role will say a good deal about just how make or break the manager really does see this game being.
    If Brady plays at left back, then James McClean’s chances of starting will be hugely boosted whereas shifting Brady into midfield will make room for Stephen Ward.

Either way, Brady’s set pieces will be of absolutely crucial importance against a side that doesn’t always defend them too well.

So too will be the movement between an attacking unit of Wes Hoolahan, Jon Walters and Shane Long, with the Swedes’ defensive work in training suggesting they expect Ireland to be defending deep.

The relatively static Swedish central defence is likely to be seen as something to be targeted but long balls will suit them well enough.
    Marcus Berg has pointed to Ireland having much the same problem, a remark that prompted Ibrahimovic to observe: “I am also slow so it doesn’t matter. They can still be good even if they are slow. They are, of course, not quite that good.

O’Neill has repeatedly said that the aim is to progress but he might be reluctant to admit before the group kicks off that third place would be a perfectly satisfactory way to do it.

Quite what it will take to secure one of those four additions places in the second round remains unclear with the bar having been raised progressively over the course of the three World Cups that this particular system was employed at between 1986 and ’94.

There are no guarantees, especially not for a team with just one win – a decent goal difference may prove to be a decisive factor.

Points make prizes and for all O’Neill’s now proven ability to inspire a win against the better sides, this looks like Ireland’s best chance of taking three points. Watch out for Zlatan, though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Zlatan to make bits of Ireland's ramshackle, at best, defence.

Ireland's hopes dashed after the first game.

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Cagey 0 - 0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Work is really dragging out today.

As usual with Ireland and big games I've left logic at the door and can see nothing but a win for the boys in green.
    Team selection will be massive but I'd really like to see Shane Duffy given a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Hal Robson Kanu had only 2 goals in 30 apps before yesterday

Arise, Sir Daryl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hard to predict an outcome in this one. I've been dreaming about Shane Long scoring on the counter and Zlatan making it 1-1 and then the dream ends.

So I'll go for 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Will this be available on RTE Player, as I wont be anywhere near a TV today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Put about 6 lads on zlatan and he might only score one or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A win tonight and it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Xyzforsure

At home feet up on the sofa the aul irish soccer tunes on joxer etc

The joys of being sick

Good feeling about tonite.

Come on lads do us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Xyzforsure

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Put about 6 lads on zlatan and he might only score one or two

I disagree
    If everyman on the pitch does their job we will be ok.
    Hit zlatan hard toughen him up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm going for a 1 - 1 win for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

2-1.

Haven't decided who to yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

This game is getting me through work today ... I keep looking at the clock to see if its home time :pac:

I'd fancy Ireland to at least get a draw tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Xyzforsure wrote: »
    I disagree
    If everyman on the pitch does their job we will be ok.
    Hit zlatan hard toughen him up

Very cliche thinking hitting Zlatan will do anything to him, hes played in Italy where defenders arent nice, he was raised in the roughest neighborhood in Sweden, hitting Zlatan might be the most stupid thing that could be said in dealing with him

• Bag O Nerves

Come on the lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Apart from zlatan do the Swedes have anyone else who can trouble us?

Guidetti who used to play for City just had a great season in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

3-1 Sweden.

Four years ago I thought we would do the business, fooled by the bubble of optimism and hope. Cant't see anything to suggest we qualify from this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

Sweden have to be one of the most overrated teams out there at the moment, not that we're much better but I just hope we go for the win and don't start playing when we're 1-0 down like NI yesterday. We have the beating of these if we play with confidence. Will no doubt be a tight & cagey affair as others are saying but I remain optimistic of a win of either 2-1 or 1-0 Once we don't hold anything back and play to win ill be happy regardless of the result COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What time are the teams to be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I genuinely think the over optimism that we had four years ago is now being completely countered with under optimism. Yes, Sweden have Ibrahimovic, but there is not a gulf of class akin to anything we've seen in this tournament so far. It is definitely not the same scenario as NI-Poland yesterday.

I think this is a 50/50 shot but we pretty much have to win to have an opportunity of qualification. Can't not believe for this one. We definitely have a good chance today. Sweden are not at the same level as Croatia four years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Long can cause the same problems for the swedes as Zlatan can for us ... just saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

As far as "world class" no.
    But that's 1 world class player more than we have. So I think he's dangerous enough to upset our apple kart.

We need to try to cut off the supply to him as much as possible but it's important we don't worry about him too much and try and be positive with our own possession. If they don't start Wes and don't give him the opportunity to dictate I'll cry into my pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Didnt realise we are actually ranked two places ahead of Sweden in the FIFA world rankings.

Still think they'll do us 2-1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Bag O Nerves

Come on the lads

Bag O Cans will sort that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Will this be showing live on RTE Player, as I wont be near a TV all day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Any word on Walters yet?

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Will this be showing live on RTE Player, as I wont be near a TV all day?

It will but RTÉ tends not to be the best spot for livestreaming. You're best off heading to r/soccerstreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

The Croatia game 4 years ago was a rude awaking. I hope it will be different this time, but I am worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hoping for a win but would take a draw depending.... Dunno what irish team is gonna show up. Hope we play with no fear and have a go. Nothing worse than going out/losing on a whimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What time is team likely to be announced?

What time is team likely to be announced?

An hour prior to kick-off

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Long can cause the same problems for the swedes as Zlatan can for us ... just saying :)

No just no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No just no

I agree, Long is much faster and will cause more problems for the slow Swedish defence than Ibra will for ours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

that goal long scored against Germany for us :) i dont tink Ibra would have got the pace to latch onto that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I do think getting a result hinges on O'Neill getting things right. It is not the day for a 4-4-2 diamond as we do not want to give all the impetus to the Swedes. Expecting the team to be:

Randolph
    Coleman
    O'Shea
    Keogh
    Brady
    Whelan
    McCarthy
    Walters
    Hoolahan
    Hendrick
    Long

Definitely gives us our best opportunity to win. Hendrick and Walters coming inside to allow our full backs to get on. I'd prefer Duffy over Keogh as I think they are similar in defending capabilities but Duffy's presence from set pieces could be huge. A lot hingers on Brady's ability from set pieces. Really hope that is the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Very little between the sides. But think Ibra will make the difference. 1-0 Sweden sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think we can predict the outfield players. Centre-back spots are a slight doubt but I expect O'Shea and Keogh. The goalkeeping spot is the one I think is up in the air. O'Neill showed in the Germany game that he isn't afraid to discard sentiment when it comes to going for the goalie, so I don't think Randolph's position is secure. If he does get the nod, hopefully he does well; but I've mentioned before I am not truly convinced on him. I would prefer Westwood. But whatever the team selection hopefully the lads give it a good go and I think if we avoid defeat we have a sniff of a chance and I don't see Belgium and Italy as unbeatable by any means.

I would say Long and Hoolahan are our two most important players, but winning the midfield battle will be key. I think McCarthy really needs to step up in this one and dominate, just like he has done for Everton in certain big games. I'm hoping today is the day he truly makes himself a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

We're been very difficult to beat in competitive matches. We have to go for this and I think we will. 1-0 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

want a win and not settling for anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

0-0 at half time

2-0 Ireland at full time.

I think we'll be under the cosh (to use a football cliche) for most of the first half, then 2 set piece goals in the second.

Goal scorers: Long, Brady.

Having said that, we'll probably lose 4 nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I'm thinking scoreless draw, would love us to nick a win and see the whole country go nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1-0 Brady daisy cutter

pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssse!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

SantryRed wrote: »
    I genuinely think the over optimism that we had four years ago is now being completely countered with under optimism. Yes, Sweden have Ibrahimovic, but there is not a gulf of class akin to anything we've seen in this tournament so far. It is definitely not the same scenario as NI-Poland yesterday.

I think this is a 50/50 shot but we pretty much have to win to have an opportunity of qualification. Can't not believe for this one. We definitely have a good chance today. Sweden are not at the same level as Croatia four years ago.

Exactly.Sweden are no world beaters. Let's tear into them. If we havent learnt that anyone can win any football match in the last 12 months then we never will. They are there to be taken today and i am confident this bunch of players has it in them. COYBIG.

* goes for tenth poop of the day so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

I honestly think we'll beat Sweden quite comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

xtal191 wrote: »

I don't think I could ever say that before an Ireland game no matter who the opposition!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

xtal191 wrote: »

If we were playing Gibraltar i wouldnt feel quite 100% saying that :D

I'd be all "let's get an early goal and settle quickly" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

2-1
    Brady FK after 36 mins
    Long goal on counter after 83 mins
    Ollyson header from corner 87 mins
    Just hold out for the win ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Sweating here lads. Heading into town now after the Spain game. Genuinely optimistic about getting all 3 points. C'mon to feck Ireland! Need to listen to that manic aggression Paul O'Connell speech a few times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

We're a better team than we were 3 years ago when we played them in wc qualifying. I don't think they are. Draw is certainly possible. Just hope ibrahimovic is manmarked for the whole 90+

• Advertisement
Advertisement