Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Ireland vs Sweden 5pm KO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He's a guy who's scored more international goals than any other player at this tournament

Competitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If someone told me before the game that Brady would play better at full-back than Coleman I wouldn't have believed it, but credit to Brady on a very good performance.

As for Coleman, one of the worst games I've seen him have. I dunno if the occasion got to him or what but defensively he was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I have to say, I was pretty shocker how they completely lost their heads when they went in front. It was like they didnt have any belief that they could win the game. And before that they had been incredibly positive.

Godot. wrote: »
    Randolph 6
    Coleman 5
    Clark 5
    O'Shea 7
    Brady 7
    Hendrick 8
    McCarthy 6
    Whelan 7
    Walters 6
    Hoolahan 8
    Long 5

McClean 5
    Keane N/A
    McClean N/A

Jaysus McGeady really had a 'mare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems like 90% of Ireland games down through the years go with Ireland taking the lead before collectively crapping the togs and the game ending 1-1.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Why even bring an Aston Villa player?

Clark was one of the more honest Villa lads and had a decent game other then that goal

mansize wrote: »
    Competitive?

Don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Disappointing not to bag 3 points. I feared when we scored we would take the foot off the pedal and that was unfortunately the case, but I can't blame the boys, they put in one hell of a shift.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

So disappointing. Massive opertunity to get 3 points and we bottled it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Seems like 90% of Ireland games down through the years go with Ireland taking the lead before collectively crapping the togs and the game ending 1-1.

It's not unique to Ireland though, lots of teams sit back when they score.

• Advertisement

We went into our shell I agree which we tend to do while Sweden woke up and realise what's at stake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I wouldn't be too fearful of the other 2 in our group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A lot of negativity here, but this performance was light years ahead of Euro 2012 at least. We kept and passed the ball much better than we have in the past, and actually created some great chances.

A shame not to win, but a point isn't bad, and this also does something to cure the recurring nightmare of panicked Irish players smashing the ball straight to a Spanish/Italian/Croatian shirt time and time again 4 years ago.

Had we lost, I think our tournament would already be over. At least now it's still going to be alive going into our third game regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If someone told me before the game that Brady would play better at full-back than Coleman I wouldn't have believed it, but credit to Brady on a very good performance.

As for Coleman, one of the worst games I've seen him have. I dunno if the occasion got to him or what but defensively he was poor.

Was always taking one touch too many in attack as well. Wouldn't cross when he had space and would end up getting blocked down in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Oh well at least we'll still be in it until the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ****ing o Neil taking hoolahan off

Wesley can't go 90

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Disappointing...

But this day last year we suffered through a grim home draw to Scotland, we looked unlikely to even qualify for this, so if someone told you that day we'd qualify and draw with the Swedes in our first game, it wouldn't have sounded too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

We didnt just sit back though, we completely fell apart until they scored and all of a sudden looked good again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

Coleman made that chance for Wes on his own. He was left with no protection in front of him the whole game. Ollson was bombing forward from left back with no challenges. A full back cannot mark his man and tackle a second man.

Feck it. Already better than Euro 2012. You don't deserve a win if you score and go immediately on the backfoot.

Hoolahan, Brady, Hendrick were all excellent tonight. Need to win one of the next two imo.

We are in with a shout when we play Italy and that is the very minimum I hoped for.

• Advertisement

At least 90%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

He had no cover in front of him. The overlap did him over and over and tbh thats not really on him. He can't deal with two of them. And Whelan isn't mobile enough to get across to help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Like woopdy do scoring in meaningless friendlies against Vatican City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A draw tonight now please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

wonga77 wrote: »
    We didnt just sit back though, we completely fell apart until they scored and all of a sudden looked good again

Sweden also upped their game after they went behind so made it look worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Great performance, disappointing to concede

• FatherTed wrote: »
    Wesley can't go 90

No, he was actually creating chances and holding possession towards the end of the game

Wrong decision imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You would be a rich man if you bet 1 1 on every Ireland game against teams of a similar standard to us. I'm forever saying it but never do the bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

As the game wore on (after they scored) the horrible thought occurred to me that Sweden might sneak a winner. And they could have.

On that basis I'm happy we got the draw. Which we would have took before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Keep the faith lads, a draw later could keep the group wide open. These lads have nothing to be afraid of against Belgium or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He had no cover in front of him. The overlap did him over and over and tbh thats not really on him. He can't deal with two of them. And Whelan isn't mobile enough to get across to help either.

He made plenty of mistakes that had nothing to do with cover, misjudging crosses, bouncing balls, hitting long passes out of play, getting caught forward. He had a shocker to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A lot of negativity here, but this performance was light years ahead of Euro 2012 at least. We kept and passed the ball much better than we have in the past, and actually created some great chances.

A shame not to win, but a point isn't bad, and this also does something to cure the recurring nightmare of panicked Irish players smashing the ball straight to a Spanish/Italian/Croatian shirt time and time again 4 years ago.

Had we lost, I think our tournament would already be over. At least now it's still going to be alive going into our third game regardless.

Well to be fair that wouldn't be hard :pac:

Not sure how to feel overall. We were clearly the better team in the first half and obviously at the beginning of the second, but Sweden really stepped it up after conceding the goal. Overall I think an Ireland win would have been fairer but a 1-1 draw isn't too bad either. And Ireland still scored twice, so.. :cool:

Like woopdy do scoring in meaningless friendlies against Vatican City

I don't know the composition of the goal total, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well done Ireland; you got a draw. I will happy with that outcome although we could have won that game.

We will be routing for ya against the Belgians come what may on the 18th. :)

GreNoLi wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too fearful of the other 2 in our group.

Realistically, we need a win from one of the other two. That's unlikely to happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Sweden didn't have a shot on target in 90 mins:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Sweden had no shots on target. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Why is Robbie Keane still playing? He scores goals in a league not far off LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I think it says a lot that I feel like that was a loss. I would have taken a draw pre match but after watching it, I feel gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would prefer if my draw prediction wasn't right but it's not the end of the world.

Its a tournament and given their fitness and ability to play consecutive games it's understandable that Walters and Hoolahan came off but they do make a huge difference.

I'm not going to be too critical of the players cos overall it was a positive display and nothing like Euro 2012. Sweden had 0 shots on target too.

Ireland are tough to beat though. We took 4 points from Germany so getting something from Belgium and in particular Italy would not be a shock, tough though.

• Advertisement

I know loads complain about Lewandowski diving, but Granqvist would give him a run for his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Great effort, struggled with managing the game at 1 up. But it's a good draw and keeps us right in it until the Italy game.

A draw with Belgium could leave us just wanting a draw with Italy, Italia 90 crack.

Whelan gets stick from some, showed up big time tonight, same holo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Read Kevin Pullein's book on football gambling. The team that goes 1-0 down is statistically twice as probable to score the next goal in the match. In a game that is difficult to score in the human tendency on going ahead is to protect.

sligeach wrote: »
    I think it says a lot that I feel like that was a loss. I would have taken a draw pre match but after watching it, I feel gutted.

I agree. Can't get behind the 'good point' narrative. I might feel differently in a day or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Korat wrote: »
    Sweden had no shots on target. :(

That's why the point is a disappointment. Could have been worse, already an improvement on euro 2012, we weren't swept aside or embarrassed, it's just a shame we couldn't get lucky for once and sneak a win.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its 1 point . It might come in handy if we get another 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Competitive?

44 competitive goals, highest ever goal scorer in euro qualifiers.

And has achieved that in a team that was mediocre for most of his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

"A performance of great composure"

Tony doesnt have a clue god love him. One of the players put through his own goal Tony, does that sound composed to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

"Extraordinary"

Last time i heard Martin say that with such feeling was after the Porto lads rolled their way to the UEFA Cup in 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I thought we were still going for it in the last few minutes,the manager brought on two attacking players also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement