Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Ireland vs Sweden 5pm KO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sickened

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Reality is Sweden are a very very average side.....both Italy and more so Belgium are better....this was the game we had to close out and get a win in....if we were playing well....which we were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Its probably the best Irish team since 02, we put in a performance that reflects our ability, we are just like Sweden without a player like Zlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Disappointing but ultimately a solid point. Italy couldn't get out of a poor WC group 2 years ago and Belgium regularly play less than the sum of their parts so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So disappointing for Ireland.

You dominated the first half but failed to and got unlucky not to score. You deservedly took the lead from a great goal and an even greater set-up. You shouldn't have given the control of the ball completely back to Sweden after you scored though irony is that you conceded when I felt Sweden was starting to go down a bit...

Don't know why Martin O'Neil took Hoolahan off. He was having a great game, the one to keep the ball and cool things down in midfield.

Ah well, a win would have put you through to the round of sixteen. Now it's gonna be tough with Belgium & Italy next. You wanna wish for an Italy win tonight such that if the transalpine win again against Sweden they will have 1st placed almost secured and will take it easy a bit (at least mentally) against you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great effort by a limited team, no excuse for playing the useless mc carthy time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Strange but I'm really disappointed after that. We went to pieces after the goal. People can say a draw keeps us in it, and that is true, but we missed a real, real chance to virtually guarantee qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Gutted with that result,victory v Italy or Belgium is now a must. How come pro players cant c out 90mins,Wes,Whelan,Brady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Shane Long hasn't been mentioned here at all which probably says a lot. He is still frustratingly inconsistent and unreliable. He was not a factor aerially at all and didn't contribute anything really.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Great effort by a limited team, no excuse for playing the useless mc carthy time and time again.

Limited but not relative to Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Randolphs save from Fosberg before it was blasted over the bar- how did that not count as a shot on target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Looking at the highlights just makes McCarty's performance look even more rotten.

Shane Long hasn't been mentioned here at all which probably says a lot. He is still frustratingly inconsistent and unreliable. He was not a factor aerially at all and didn't contribute anything really.

I don't get it, one game he is dynamic, agile, powerful, the next he doesn't seem to be able to get away from his man at all. He didn't stretch Sweden at all bar maybe once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Reality is Sweden are a very very average side.....both Italy and more so Belgium are better....this was the game we had to close out and get a win in....if we were playing well....which we were.

Historically we don't play well against lesser teams but we can raise our game against the bigger teams. I think we have a shock in our tank :)

And as already said by others that 90 minutes makes up for the crap in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Dcully wrote: »

Limited yes but that was no excuse for sitting back. Sweden are not a good side and that today was our golden chance to put one foot in the next round. We failed. Belgium will beat us easily and that will leave us needing to beat the Italians. Not good.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Historically we don't play well against lesser teams but we can raise our game against the bigger teams. I think we have a shock in our tank :)

And as already said by others that 90 minutes makes up for the crap in 2012.

Until Germany we hadn't beaten a team above us since France in 2009( 6years) and before that Holland, that is the biggest myth going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I don't agree with Dunphy on much but he is spot on about McCarthy. A nothing player who adds little to the team.

Needs to be benched for the rest of the tournament but will no doubt start all the games we have left in the tournament.

On a side note I read some Chinese side are willing to pay 40m a year wages to get Zlatan to sign. He looks like the years have caught up with him to me.

Yeah. He went through this game very anonymously...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Dunphy hammering McCarthy here

"waste of space" :D

• Advertisement

Godot. wrote: »

He's right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I don't agree with Dunphy on much but he is spot on about McCarthy. A nothing player who adds little to the team.

Needs to be benched for the rest of the tournament but will no doubt start all the games we have left in the tournament.

Doesn't look like he wants to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,943 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** it let's throw in the white flag, let the team have a jolly for the next 9 days, supporters can sing when we're getting destroyed, get awarded for being the best fans of the euros etc

To be serious We have a point on the table, have a proven record of non defeats against top tier nations, most including myself thought we would lose today, we should of won it but it's something to work on, we didn't lose, we didn't get humiliated like last time

Coybig

Dunphy making people today.

What's going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Mec27 wrote: »
    I don't get it, one game he is dynamic, agile, powerful, the next he doesn't seem to be able to get away from his man at all. He didn't stretch Sweden at all bar maybe once.

it was actually a good performance and result considering Long was a non factor. before the game I wouldn't have given us a chance if i'd known Shane would be that ineffective.

however, the good thing is there is definitely a great performance in him and we'll probably see it in one of the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

CSF wrote: »
    Problem is we've been very poor at ball retention even with McCarthy. Who comes on and improves that?

That's been a problem since Roy left many of these players have either not played or have been injured. The team played very well with the players they have an should have won the match.

Fair play to Dunphy for not using one line for 'foreigners' like Zlatan or whoever and an other for Irish players but that is not on imo.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Doesn't look like he wants to play for Ireland.

I do wonder if it was just his agent telling him to play for Ireland so he can say he's an international and therefore command higher wages at his club.

He's bang on. I disagree with the rest of the panel though saying McCarthy has ability because I've never seen it and i'd watch Everton on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The lads are jizzin' themselves over Hoolahan. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Superhorse wrote: »
    On a side note I read some Chinese side are willing to pay 40m a year wages to get Zlatan to sign. He looks like the years have caught up with him to me.

He is coming off his best ever goal scoring season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Dunphy making people today.

What's going on?

He's horny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not sure they're better. Belgium have lost their first-choice centre-back pairing and I've read a lot of their fans don't rate Marc Wilmots tactically. The Italian side on paper looks much weaker than previous squads.

I think there will be a few twists in this group. Suppose we'll learn a lot from the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Focusing on the positives that was a belter of a first half performance and had you boys just get the foot down you would be well on your way. It's something that managers don't drill into their teams enough. Once you score a goal you really need to dominate, moreso than before hand because you can guarantee even the limpest of teams will fight hard for a period to get back on terms. 45 - 55 mins was the time to really go at them, instead Ireland backed off and seemed to drop back into their own box.

Very impressed with Holohan, Brady and Hendricks, until he tired Whelan did what was asked of him.

If McCarthy has a brain he'd want to engage it fairly sharpish. Neither he nor Mclean impressed off the bench.

Belgium, despite their talent, can flatter to deceive so there may be something in there, the Italian game will likely be a low scoring game so I wouldn't give up. Enough in the first half to suggest the ability is definitely there to progress, lacking a little in game management. Sweden were not as bad as some are describing them here.

That's the view from north of the wall. Good luck for the rest of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Superhorse wrote:

He scored 50 goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Should've won.

A proud performance is little consolation.

We bottled it after the equaliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Superhorse wrote: »

He did set up the goal with a great piece of play.even Zlatan can't be a world beater every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Agree he's overrated .We do not have a better replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

McCarthy played one great game against Germany. He was in a more defensive role, and putting tackles in. We should just get him to do that, because he's non-existent most of the time otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

As soon as he got the yellow card he's completely out of the game. If he's not going to play at the base of the diamond then I think Quinn is a better option. I think international football is too slow to suit him if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Scotland had an average team Germany were better yet we took 4 points from one and one from the other

Maybe this team steps up again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How come an expert like Dumbfy can't work out that Dumbfy is a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I heard talk of McCarthy having a dodgy hamstring still, he looked a fraction late in to some tackles. He was on thin ice with the ref. He's a solid player but you can't carry an injury into a tournament. If he got himself sent off it could have been very costly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd tend to disagree with the poor performance after the goal. It was a poor quality game, with both sides happy to hoof it high but Sweden's intensity increased after the goal.

Neither side is the sort of side who can get it down and pass it around for five minutes, there was no way to clear the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

People questioning McCarthys desire to play for Ireland. For Fcuk sake the lad chose early stuck to his decision when he could have switched and has played most games under ONeill

He has a hamstring and was more than likely asked to play today with one mind on protecting the hamstring

People love to hate

• Advertisement

How can they say hope Italy gets beaten cause they could be going home by time we play them?

That would mean Sweden beats them and is on 4 points after 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ireland were brilliant in the first half. A joy to watch. It's such a shame we couldn't keep our composure after the goal. I feel for Clark but he'd nearly scored 2 OGs already.

I'm sat here so diasappointed that we didn't get all 3 after the way the team played. Which is certainly a positive even if it's wrapped in a negative!

Brady, Wes and Hendrick are a delight down the left channel. Walters was missed when he went off too but we need those guys for all 3 games.

Keane and McGeady offered the square root of F-all when they came on unfortunately. McGoldrick would have been a great option off the bench to help link like Wes was.

Still though there are far more positives and hopefully learn a few things!

COYBIG :)

He scored 50 goals this season.
    Yeah but against who?

PSG have 3 to 4 times the cash any other French club have. And Lyon, Monaco and more importantly Marseille decided to make a mess of their season.

Zlatan is strong against the weak ones and weak against the strong ones. He had 1 penalty to score in the whole season, the one against Man City. He missed it. Sums up his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Ireland were brilliant in the first half. A joy to watch. It's such a shame we couldn't keep our composure after the goal. I feel for Clark but he'd nearly scored 2 OGs already.

I'm sat here so diasappointed that we didn't get all 3 after the way the team played. Which is certainly a positive even if it's wrapped in a negative!

Brady, Wes and Hendrick are a delight down the left channel. Walters was missed when he went off too but we need those guys for all 3 games.

Keane and McGeady offered the square root of F-all when they came on unfortunately. McGoldrick would have been a great option off the bench to help link like Wes was.

Still though there are far more positives and hopefully learn a few things!

COYBIG :)

Still struggling to see how McGoldrick wasn't brought ahead of Daryl Murphy. He offers a lot more, and can link the play aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah but against who?

PSG have 3 to 4 times the cash any other French club have. And Lyon, Monaco and more importantly Marseille decided to make a mess of their season.

Zlatan is strong against the weak ones and weak against the strong ones. He had 1 penalty to score in the whole season, the one against Man City. He missed it. Sums up his whole career.

He has nearly 30 trophies to his name, I'm sure he is very happy with his career.

• Advertisement
Advertisement