Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Ireland vs Sweden 5pm KO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Keane and McGeady offered the square root of F-all when they came on unfortunately.
    )

A bit harsh.
    They barely had any time (McG especially) and no point hoofing the ball to Keano against a towering defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PTH2009 wrote: »
    have a proven record of non defeats against top tier nations

Did you sleep through 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bringing in Keane was a strange decision as the game produced very little of the type of chances he usually scores from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah but against who?

PSG have 3 to 4 times the cash any other French club have. And Lyon, Monaco and more importantly Marseille decided to make a mess of their season.

Zlatan is strong against the weak ones and weak against the strong ones. He had 1 penalty to score in the whole season, the one against Man City. He missed it. Sums up his whole career.

No it doesn't.

He's won 10 league titles as the main striker on all the teams, averages over a goal every 2 games across a 15 year career 3rd highest scorer in the history of the European championships.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Still struggling to see how McGoldrick wasn't brought ahead of Daryl Murphy. He offers a lot more, and can link the play aswell.
    If that was not a situation to bring on Murphy (and let Long play off him) then why bring him...Its not as if Robbie was brought on for his pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Wes even said it after the game he was cramping up badly.

No surprise he was took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Soups123 wrote: »
    Scotland had an average team Germany were better yet we took 4 points from one and one from the other

Maybe this team steps up again

I think we can play better than today but I can't see us getting close to Belgium defending like that . we were so nervous and lacking of leadership at the back. I think Belgium could tear us to shreds with the likes of hazard, lukaku and de bruyne.

and we don't have the depth in the squad to really change anything.

I think I would bring in Westwood who I feel offers more leadership and communicates well with the defence.

I think we can play better than today but I can't see us getting close to Belgium defending like that . we were so nervous and lacking of leadership at the back. I think Belgium could tear us to shreds with the likes of hazard, lukaku and de bruyne.

I think I would bring in Westwood who I feel offers more leadership and communicates well with the defence.

Ah randoph was great today.

Least deserving player to need dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh right, drop a premier league player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Really impressed with Sweden . They never gave up. Did well to draw with lesser players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A bit harsh.
    They barely had any time (McG especially) and no point hoofing the ball to Keano against a towering defense.

Well that was kind of my point. If you bring Keane on you can't just lump it up to him. Bring Murphy on as the big man/foil to Robbie.

I just thought our subs negated our attack rather than boosted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh right, drop a premier league player

is that your sole argument?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah but against who?

PSG have 3 to 4 times the cash any other French club have. And Lyon, Monaco and more importantly Marseille decided to make a mess of their season.

Zlatan is strong against the weak ones and weak against the strong ones. He had 1 penalty to score in the whole season, the one against Man City. He missed it. Sums up his whole career.

By your logic he should dance through the Irish backline, they aren't the pinnacle of top class footballers. That Irish backfour would be a run of the mill Ligue 1 defence, probably relegation candidates tbh. Brady and Coleman are good but not as defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Not sure if there's much criticism of O'Neill out there but he made a few odd decisions - keeping McCarthy on for so long, letting Sweden destroy Ireland's right-side for the guts of twenty minutes, bringing on Keane...he's just not up to it tactically IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Ah randoph was great today.

Least deserving player to need dropping.

A good keeper wouldn't have idly watched that ball go across him so easily they have taken charge and punched it clear.

With the likes of Randolph in goal u can guarantee at least one error per game and it's understandable as he is a second rate club keeper. Harsh but true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I see people who know very little of football trying to judge Zlatan, I feel sorry for ye tbh.
    Im happy with the result at the end, could easily have lost.
    See Dunphy the clown slandering players, he really hasnt a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

No it doesn't.

He's won 10 league titles as the main striker on all the teams, averages over a goal every 2 games across a 15 year career 3rd highest scorer in the history of the European championships.

People's ignorance is blinding. Goes to Juve as their main striker when Ac Millan are dominating the league. Wins two titles in a row winning best foreign player each season in a time when Italian defenses are at their strongest.

Goes to inter and wins 3 titles in a row. Scores 25 goals and is the 1st Swedish player in 50 years to win Italian golden boot and Italian player of the year.

Goes to Barcelona and scores 19 and creates 16 in his first season the same statistics people have drooled over when Bale ha his first season.

Gets moved to the right wing when messi moans to pep and messi gets moved central which leads to pep and Ibra falling out and him moving to Ac Millan.

Moves back to Ac Millan at a time when Inter have been dominating and finishes top scorer winning them the league with a goal in the final game.

Simply put he's top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Really impressed with Sweden . They never gave up. Did well to draw with lesser players.

If ever there was a post that epitomised the definition of "trolling", this was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Mec27 wrote: »
    By your logic he should dance through the Irish backline, they aren't the pinnacle of top class footballers. That Irish backfour would be a run of the mill Ligue 1 defence, probably relegation candidates tbh. Brady and Coleman are good but not as defenders.

I dont think he used much logic

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that, the narrative that Ireland did well is odd, the teams are evenly matched, Ireland slightly stronger on paper overall. However of course Zlatan's magic gives Sweden a weapon that we just don't have so even though we are better than them(imo) they are more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That was a tough match. Was never going to be easy.

There could be a lot of draws in this group and 3 could get us through.

People's ignorance is blinding. Goes to Juve as their main striker when Ac Millan are dominating the league. Wins two titles in a row winning best foreign player each season in a time when Italian defenses are at their strongest.

Goes to inter and wins 3 titles in a row. Scores 25 goals and is the 1st Swedish player in 50 years to win Italian golden boot and Italian player of the year.

Goes to Barcelona and scores 19 and creates 16 in history first season the same statistics people have drooled over when Bale ha his first season.

Simply put he's top class.

Go away with your stats and well constructed, reasoned arguement :p

Hyperbole and cliches are accepted though

Its a pity Harry Arter wasn't there to come on . McCarthy probably not 100% fit and on a yellow card. After probably has that bit of quality that our other midfield subs don't.

blinding wrote: »
    Its a pity Harry Arter wasn't there to come on . McCarthy probably not 100% fit and on a yellow card. After probably has that bit of quality that our other midfield subs don't.

Mccarthy annoys me. Has all the tools to be a great little player but just flatters to deceive unless it's a friendly with nothing on the line.

Horrible comments by dunphy "he got his manager sacked" he's such a baiter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

price690 wrote: »
    A good keeper wouldn't have idly watched that ball go across him so easily they have taken charge and punched it clear.

With the likes of Randolph in goal u can guarantee at least one error per game and it's understandable as he is a second rate club keeper. Harsh but true

You cannot blame Randolph for that goal?!

• Advertisement

Dunphy has to vent at someone in every tournament, looks like McCarthy is the chosen one this time

Mccarthy annoys me. Has all the tools to be a great little player but just flatters to deceive unless it's a friendly with nothing on the line.

Horrible comments by dunphy "he got his manager sacked" he's such a baiter
    McCarthy has not been great for us but have we any better. Its pity Harry After was not fit as he has quality even though not yet tested at international level.

Please stop talking ****e.All 4 played in the Premier League this year.Coleman has been named on the premier league team of the year,O'Shea was good enough to be kept at Man Utd for 10 years.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Dunphy has to vent at someone in every tournament, looks like McCarthy is the chosen one this time
    Dumpfy
    is the pantomime fool . He normally just says outrageous stuff so that he can fill cheap television time for RTE.

Its about time Ireland out grew their fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Please stop talking ****e.All 4 played in the Premier League this year.Coleman has been named on the premier league team of the year,O'Shea was good enough to be kept at Man Utd for 10 years.

Yeah exactly was. Coleman had a shocking season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Catch 22 for Mccarthy. But he brought it on himself after that error and consequent yellow. He was afraid/cautious/smart (however you see it) not to throw himself about and risk anot her yellow. You could see the fear of it at times, backing away from physical contact with his hands in the air.
    As I said it was O Neill who should have taken him off perhaps. After the goal when the pressure was impending. That's when you need a fearless battler and Mccarthy just couldn't be that player after the early booking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A while since I watched RTE for these games, I thought RTE retired the 3 amigos?

Anyhow, disappointed with the draw, Ireland should have been out of sight in the first half. Great goal from Hoolahan

Superhorse wrote: »
    Yeah exactly was. Coleman had a shocking season.

He wasn't great alright but all of them are well above the League 1 standard the poster above suggested the players were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yeah it's such a shame Arter got injured, he could have potentially been the man to keep things ticking over after we scored.

Credit to Whelan though he's changed my mind in recent times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Maybe it's because he was absolutely garbage and never delivers for Ireland, disgrace he is I'm sick of watching him start and rarely performing.

Sono wrote: »
    Maybe it's because he was absolutely garbage and never delivers for Ireland, disgrace he is I'm sick of watching him start and rarely performing.

Don't question an Ireland players commitment!

/sarcasm

Watching the Italians I think they will trouble us.

He scored 50 goals this season.

In the French league. No one is questioning his ability I just questioned what he's got in the tank at this stage of his career. Hell if a Chinese side want to pay him 40m quid a year more luck to them.

Was always going to be the way. People who write them off are clueless.

We ain't getting out of the group.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    We ain't getting out of the group.

Was always going to be hard given the squad we have compared to others but despite everything we've given ourselves a chance. At the very worst no matter what we take the fight to Italy in the last game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

off reddit
    Sweden are the first team to score a goal without having a single shot on target in a EURO game since 1980

Superhorse wrote: »
    Was always going to be hard given the squad we have compared to others but despite everything we've given ourselves a chance. At the very worst no matter what we take the fight to Italy in the last game.

We scored both of the goals!
    I think we will make it out of the group

off reddit

Randolph made a great save from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Randolph made a great save from them.

That shot was deflected goalwards by Clark. Would have been another own goal if Randaloph hadn't saved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

I don't agree with Dunphy on much but he is spot on about McCarthy. A nothing player who adds little to the team.

Needs to be benched for the rest of the tournament but will no doubt start all the games we have left in the tournament.

get the distinct impression he is not committed to representing Ireland, his less than convincing excuses for not playing in Celtic Park comes to mind. But sure why should he be interested I suppose, he is Scottish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If Italy beat Sweden on Saturday they'll be qualified top of the group before ireland play them, decent result for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I felt O'Neill shit his togs when we took the lead. Should have had far more courage.

bohsfan wrote: »
    Randolphs save from Fosberg before it was blasted over the bar- how did that not count as a shot on target?

Does the OG count as a shot on target for Sweden technically? Serious question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

madcabbage wrote: »
    The lads are jizzin' themselves over Hoolahan. :pac:

I did a white wee wee when he buried that cross.

Advertisement