Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Ireland vs Sweden 5pm KO

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

niallo27 wrote: »
    Thats football though, Sweden did the very same thing once they scored. Its only really good teams that can keep going for the kill.

You're mixing up two types of teams. 1. is a Madrid type that are all out attack for 90 minutes and know no other way to play. This is not what we're expecting or at least I'm not. The other I'm going use someone like Chelsea ( I realise we're not Chelsea ) who tend to drop off after going a goal up but use the ball really well when we they win it back.

What I'm expecting is to use the ball correctly when you have it. You don't suddenly forget how to do this at 1-0 the same way you don't suddenly remember at 1-1. There's also no huge problem in dropping off a bit as long as you use the ball when you win it back.

Another day Clark is in a slightly closer to the front post and it's out for a corner we survive MON is a legend and we applaud the masterful defending and grit and determination of the Irish team.

If we keep the ball well at 1-0 we tire Sweden out, the longer spells they go without the ball the more nervous they become and over all % minutes they can't potentially score. The more chance you have of getting a second.

Sweden knew it was going to come eventually, there was nothing coming back from us so they have nothing to fear which increased their confidence of scoring and reduces are chances of nicking a second.
    To add this problem we never addressed the very obvious threat that was consistently coming down the our right flank at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

crkball6 wrote: »
    You're mixing up two types of teams. 1. is a Madrid type that are all out attack for 90 minutes and know no other way to play. This is not what we're expecting or at least I'm not. The other I'm going use someone like Chelsea ( I realise we're not Chelsea ) who tend to drop off after going a goal up but use the ball really well when we they win it back.

What I'm expecting is to use the ball correctly when you have it. You don't suddenly forget how to do this at 1-0 the same way you don't suddenly remember at 1-1. There's also no huge problem in dropping off a bit as long as you use the ball when you win it back.

Another day Clark is in a slightly closer to the front post and it's out for a corner we survive MON is a legend and we applaud the masterful defending and grit and determination of the Irish team.

If we keep the ball well at 1-0 we tire Sweden out, the longer spells they go without the ball the more nervous they become and over all % minutes they can't potentially score. The more chance you have of getting a second.

Sweden knew it was going to come eventually, there was nothing coming back from us so they have nothing to fear which increased their confidence of scoring and reduces are chances of nicking a second.
    To add this problem we never addressed the very obvious threat that was consistently coming down the our right flank at will.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense but the mentality in football is to hold on to what you have and most of the time this invites pressure. I have seen it so many times in the last few years at anfield. Liverpool well on top against lower sides, get a lead and then end up hanging on. Same at old trafford since ferguson left. Utd under ferguson were the best when they went in front, the tempo and mentality never changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It did seem to take forever for O'Neill to cop to the space Olsson was getting on the right side. Mclean came on for Walters and very much went to left attacking midfeild. Long stayed centre and so did Hoolahan. Why did he take so long to move Hendricks onto the right of the diamond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Sweden had a better FB than Olsson theyed have had a field day, subsequently, if Olsson and Forsberg combined more effectively out that side we'd have been torn apart.

Look up 'subsequently' in a dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Would 2 points be enough to qualify? Might just sneak through with it

Yes e.g.

ITL 2 SWE 0
    IRE 0 BEL 0
    ITL 1 IRE 0
    SWE 1 BEL 1

ITL 9 GD +5 GS 5
    IRE 2 GD -1 GS 1
    SWE 2 GD -2 GD 1
    BEL 2 GD -2 GS 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

crkball6 wrote: »

Except, while Sweden did attack more after we scored, they never really created any great chances, they never came close to scoring. They were limited to low percentage shots and O'Shea/Clark/Randolph had taken care of the high balls sent into the box. Until the OG of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Video evidence of Keano on his techno buzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMyFqcG_vOU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yesterday more than confirmed to me that unfortunately Keane is past it. He should be no where near the pitch again this tournament. Made absolutely no impact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

SantryRed wrote: »
    Yesterday more than confirmed to me that unfortunately Keane is past it. He should be no where near the pitch again this tournament. Made absolutely no impact.

Certainly looks that way but I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to put him on when we're in desperate need of a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

El Reich wrote: »
    Certainly looks that way but I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to put him on when we're in desperate need of a goal.

We did that yesterday and I think his only touch was in our own box. He's just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We did that yesterday and I think his only touch was in our own box. He's just not good enough.

He was on the pitch for 10 minutes.

Can't really make any decisions from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

El Reich wrote: »

It's hard to see him scoring against either Belgium or Italy considering we'll likely have little of the ball and he is past running onto balls.*

Although he's only a year older than Zlatan and he was still able to score 50 goals last season. :eek:

* Would love if this came back to bite me on the Achilles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sadly he is. Thing too though was our over reliance of Randolph hoofing it upfield. We were losing aerial battles all over the park with these long balls which never troubled the Swedish CBs. Neither Long nor Keane had much hope getting on the end of anything being hoofed from our box but we kept doing it. There's seems to be a nervousness about playing out from the back and through midfield. The consequence of that is that the ball gets hoofed and we give away easy possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sadly he is. Thing too though was our over reliance of Randolph hoofing it upfield. We were losing aerial battles all over the park with these long balls which never troubled the Swedish CBs. Neither Long nor Keane had much hope getting on the end of anything being hoofed from our box but we kept doing it. There's seems to be a nervousness about playing out from the back and through midfield. The consequence of that is that the ball gets hoofed and we give away easy possession.

Long is well able to gain possession from this situation, hold up etc to be fair but just didn't happen yesterday as he was either stranded when we had 9, even ten players sitting deep when this was used. But as an offensive for this has worked in the past but we should have copped on it was a pointless exercise yesterday especially how brilliantly we were when we did run at them or pass centrally. It's very much a Randolph thing though and he wasn't the only guilty party at this yesterday, even hoolahan gave the ball away twice with silly punts which is so so unlike him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Muahahaha wrote: »
    We were losing aerial battles all over the park with these long balls which never troubled the Swedish CBs.

That was very obvious as well. We did win the odd aerial battle in midfield, but up near their box it was a hiding to nothing. Might prove more effective against the Italians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

able at the min

1 Italy (3 Pts)
    2 Sweden (1 Pts)
    3 Rep Ire (1 pts)
    4 Belgium (0 pts)

Matchday 2

Italy vs Sweden (Friday 17th)
    Rep Ire vs Belgium (Sat 18th)

Italy and Belgium win

1 Italy (6)
    2 Belgium (3)
    3 Sweden (1)
    4 Rep Ire (1)

Italy through to Round 2, at matchday 3 Belgium need to beat Sweden and we draw we could go to round 2 (depending on other 3rd place teams). MD3 wins for Us and Sweden will send Belgium Home

Italy/Sweden Draw and We draw.

1 Italy (4)
    2 Sweden (2)
    3 Rep Ire (2)
    4 Belgium (1)

Italy will still qualify i think

Sweden beat Italy and We lose

1 Swe (4)
    2 Ita (3)
    3 Bel (3)
    4 Ire (1)

This would be very bad for us going into MD3. Must win game for us and Italy , Sweden wud only need a draw against Belgium to go through (draw wud suite belgium too)

A win for us vs Belgium and Italy beat Sweden

1 Italy (6)
    2 Ire (4)
    3 Swe (1)
    4 Belgium (0)

Italy go through, A draw against Italy will send us through in second, Loss to Italy and Sweden beat Belgium we go into third place (may or may not go through). Belgium cud be out if we beat them

plenty of other sanarios too. All become clearer at about 15.45 Saturday

Advertisement