Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí Firearms Check - Kildare.

Options
  • 13-06-2016 12:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wonder what this is about?

I know they can check up on you and your security requirements, but surely PULSE would tell them all they need to know.

Also they can only check PULSE to see who is on the system as being licensed and then follow up. So is it a check to see if what is on the system matches what the person actually has (IOW verifying the accuracy or lack thereof of PULSE) or randomly checking people to make sure they have a license which once again if PULSE was accurate they would already know?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Yeah, Gerry's got a major agenda to "reduce the number of guns" in the district.

To be fair though, it's not the sort of thing that should bother anyone who's got their paperwork up to date, so no harm in it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Given the news at present, it's a soft sell, and the papers would be lapping that kind of stuff up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

extremetaz wrote: »
    To be fair though, it's not the sort of thing that should bother anyone who's got their paperwork up to date, so no harm in it really.
    None at all and as you said we should support such measures.

What kinda confuses me is the process as i outlined above. PULSE has all these details, so in reality if PULSE was accurate it should tell them all they need to know.

My concern is the inaccuracies in PULSE. Having had firearms that i no longer owned or licensed still on PULSE down to me i'd be worried that the checks may cause problems for lads that have done things right, but the PULSE shows them as not.

Also i cannot see the benefit of it for unlicensed firearms. IOW if its not on PULSE then they won't know who to check, and so unlicensed firearms will remain unlicensed.

Not really explaining this well but do you get what i'm on about?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Due to the initial staggered licensing were a large volume of licenses due for renewal last week? Maybe just a gentle reminder to people to get the renewal forms back to the Gardaí or face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Vegeta wrote: »
    ....Maybe just a gentle reminder to people to get the renewal forms back to the Gardaí or face the consequences.

That makes sense ... but then again, so does a 10-year licence :)

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

garrettod wrote: »
    That makes sense ... but then again, so does a 10-year licence :)

Be lucky if we see a 5 year liscense ...Ever.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I haven't heard anything from them yet about a visit. I'll update if they do.
    Surely though if you had an unlicensed firearm you're not going to show it to the gardai just because they ask nicely?
    I'll be amazed if they actually have the right details for me anyway considering the crap they've had in my name before, it took nearly 2 years for me to get the new type license when they came out because of the mess on pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Cass wrote: »
    None at all and as you said we should support such measures.

What kinda confuses me is the process as i outlined above. PULSE has all these details, so in reality if PULSE was accurate it should tell them all they need to know.

My concern is the inaccuracies in PULSE. Having had firearms that i no longer owned or licensed still on PULSE down to me i'd be worried that the checks may cause problems for lads that have done things right, but the PULSE shows them as not.

Also i cannot see the benefit of it for unlicensed firearms. IOW if its not on PULSE then they won't know who to check, and so unlicensed firearms will remain unlicensed.

Not really explaining this well but do you get what i'm on about?

I wonder if I'm still licensed for my 22" rifle / battleship...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

God be with the days when the Gardai would call to our house to tell my Dad that his rifle licence was six months out of date and that it would be nice if he would, when he wasn't too busy, renew his licence.

Of course Dad would ignore this for another few weeks until Mam nagged him so much about it that he would go and renew it.

Mam nagged him because of the shame of having neighbours see the squad car out in front of the house.

Them were the days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

BattleCorp wrote: »
    God be with the days when the Gardai would call to our house to tell my Dad that his rifle licence was six months out of date and that it would be nice if he would, when he wasn't too busy, renew his licence.

Of course Dad would ignore this for another few weeks until Mam nagged him so much about it that he would go and renew it.

Mam nagged him because of the shame of having neighbours see the squad car out in front of the house.

To be fair, there is little reason why that should be the case now.

The renewal forms are straight forward enough and the guards seem to be generally on the ball these days (on average!).

• Advertisement

...yeah, nope. Too much bad stuff from those days to feel nostalgia for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

ezra_ wrote: »

The renewal forms are straight forward enough and the guards seem to be generally on the ball these days (on average!).

In them days there was no form to fill in. You went to barracks, paid your money & collected your licence. Subs were simpler too.

...and in those days, if the Gardai or the Minister decided - as the Supreme Court has said they did - to act unlawfully and impose their own firearms act instead of that drafted in the Oireachtas, nobody could stop them. I don't miss those days. These days are better, if harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

In some ways things are better & in some ways things are worse. Overall, not much has changed, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ah, I'm not giving out about things these days, just stating the way things were in my area when I was a kid.

I'm a fan of the prepopulated renewal forms that they have these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I don't know how things were in those days....i'm not that long in the tooth. But these days, i'm no fan of. Chatting to one of the staff at Courtlough yesterday about going for a 22 pistol. Doing a quick sum, I would be left waiting 5, or 6 months before the pistol were in my hand. The vast majority of that wait is because I happen to live in an area, served by a station, which currently has a license turn around of 4+ months. A friend from a mile up the road, in a station maybe 2 miles away has a turn around of about a month, or less.

If you'd applied 20 years ago, you'd have had a slightly longer wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

My father (R.I.P.) was one of those country guards who did such things......nobody wanted the neighbours to see the squad car outside the door.

When walking into the house in uniform he never wore the Garda hat ......if you saw him pulling up and putting on the Garda hat before calling at the door you knew it was really bad news.

Most people didn't have a phone at the time.....if the Garda pulled up and donned the Garda hat before ringing the doorbell everybody knew if was a sudden death or tragic accident.

Sometimes, in larger housing estates, when the Garda would get out of the car with the hat on, people would be hoping & praying that as he walked down the footpath that he would walk past their house.....people would often break down in tears crying when the Garda would stop outside their house to open the gate to come in...ever before they even heard what he had to say.....in those days the Garda knew everybody and the hat on was bad news for people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The Kildare Now FB page is more of a " Kildare wonder whats going on"....its more of a history lesson than a news report...pure bullsiht...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Be lucky if we see a 5 year liscense ...Ever.

Don't get me started .... ;)

Online renewals should be available ... assuming no significant changes sought. :)

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement