Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I better off on the dhole or minimum wage?

Options
  • 13-06-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm a 21 year old from Cork. I'm looking for a job at the moment, as I haven't worked before (I did a few college courses but they didn't work out). The minimum wage for someone who hasn't worked before is €7 euro an hour.

Do I get more pay for working or for being on the dhole?

If dhole pays more, then I'll do a lot of voluntary work - I don't believe in just sitting at home doing nothing all day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you are doing voluntary work then you aren't available to work and not entitled to the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Okalina64

Effects wrote: »
    If you are doing voluntary work then you aren't available to work and not entitled to the dole.

I meant voluntary work as in helping out in various fund-raising events and such, not a full-time thing. Does that stop me from working/getting the dhole? If so, forget I mentioned voluntary work - which pays more the dhole or minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'd say take a minimum wage job if you can.

Would be good to get some work experience (who knows where it might lead too?), would be good for your mental health and confidence. Might make some friends. Would be good for the CV.

I understand the temptation to stay on the dole but if possible try give work a bash and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Okalina64

I'd say take a minimum wage job if you can.

Would be good to get some work experience (who knows where it might lead too?), would be good for your mental health and confidence. Might make some friends. Would be good for the CV.

I understand the temptation to stay on the dole but if possible try give work a bash and see how it goes.

I haven't been on the dhole yet. I was funded by the after-fostercare system but that's over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A question like this shouldn't even arise. In no way should someone who is fit and able to work come out better on the welfare than someone working.

OP do you really want to rely on the State or would you prefer to earn your own way.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Okalina64 wrote: »
    I haven't been on the dhole yet. I was funded by the after-fostercare system but that's over now.

Fair enough - I'm only trying to be friendly.

If possible try get a job for the above points I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Job Seekers Allowance for someone your age is €100 per week.
    Minimum wage for someone with no experience is €7.32 per hour. Even a part time job on minimum wage should net you more than the dole. If you are working 3 or less days per week you could also be entitled to a reduced Job Seekers Allowance depending on your means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

It's the dole. This is a dhole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhole

You're better off getting the work experience. Otherwise you will never make more than whatever you get off the dole, dude. Think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement