Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outbid by Dublin City Council

Options
  • 13-06-2016 4:19pm

Having saved our asses off for the last 2-3 years for a house deposit, whilst managing to keep ourselves also in a job. Both my wife and I finally saw a nice house we'd like to buy and decided to put in a bid (getting mortgage approved was no easy trick either). Until our offer, there was only one other bidder, we'd been told in the equation. Their offer was 280K on this house and so we decided to go to 285K, such is the nature of the game/beast!

I was then contacted by the estate agent and informed, "the price is now 290K"..an offer put in by Dublin Corporation. I was also told that the party of 280K had pulled out and essentially is was myself Vs Dublin Co Co, for what is a lovely house in a very nice respectable area. I personally thought it was strange as said council could buy two houses for this price in say Finglas south for example, therefore housing 2 families as opposed to one, and this! as the housing crisis deepens. Also they are complicit in pushing up the price of this house and then property in General, I mean who can outbid a blank cheque in DCC??

Thinking the council would be a one offer entity, we offered above the 290K, only to hear same Dublin Co Co had offered above 300K for the same house.
    I'm wondering, has anyone had this happen to them before? or is it even a thing??. If so, It's absolutely shameful that a couple can jump through hoops and put their life on hold just to "qualify" for a lifetime of rogering by the banks but only to hear your ideal home will be swept from a deeper pockets council who will maybe stick a family of subsidised layabouts in said house, meanwhile your left searching as the growing prices escalate up and up, helped as always by your local estate agent now working in tandem with DCC!!

Gutted!!

For the record, I've no problem being out bid any day by normal hardworking people just trying to settle in life but this is bloodly shamefull really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP can you please clarify who you're referring to. There is no such thing as Dublin county council nor Dublin Corporation any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Contact a td
    Particularly the sinners. I was informed by the owner of a house in the clondalkin area that o broin got her her house back from the council even though it was let to them for another 8 years.

athtrasna wrote: »
    OP can you please clarify who you're referring to. There is no such thing as Dublin county council nor Dublin Corporation any more.

sorry, I'm not familair with the nomeclature. I was told twice verbatim
    "Dublin corporation have put in a bid for XXX". So whoever the corpo are these days etc, I'm unfamiliar with their current incarnation / nome de jour!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You were outbid. Doesn't matter who by.
    Similar happened here in Finglas 3 months ago in the An Riasc development.

Locals were outbid by Tuath Housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

At the end of the day the seller is entitled to the highest price possible. I imagine selling to the council/agency etc would close more quickly as the funds would be in place. It's a sellers market at the moment.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    You were outbid. Doesn't matter who by.
    Similar happened here in Finglas 3 months ago in the An Riasc development.

Locals were outbid by Tuath Housing.

sorry you're missing the point. Tuath housing according the the site would have an interest in buying developments as you say, to house and accomodate as many "in need" families as they can, and who can blame them. also 300K would buy a couple of houses in that development or similar. the house I went for was in a private estate on it's own, it makes zero sense fingal or whomever would pay 300K for it, are they in the prime real estate business now then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Why don't you buy 2 or 3 houses in Finglas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

rusty cole wrote: »
    sorry you're missing the point. Tuath housing according the the site would have an interest in buying developments as you say, to house and accomodate as many "in need" families as they can, and who can blame them. also 300K would buy a couple of houses in that development or similar. the house I went for was in a private estate on it's own, it makes zero sense fingal or whomever would pay 300K for it, are they in the prime real estate business now then?
    = All local authority tenants should live in a kip. Your assertion that they could buy two for the same money in a poorer area. The council usually only ''splash'' out when they have a specific family in mind.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Why don't you buy 2 or 3 houses in Finglas?

I grew up in finglas south nimrod, since I was 7, originally from town since you're so concerned with where I should and shouldn't buy. The house we really like is where it is end of story. your facetious remarks are neither helpful or welcome, read the post, I was asking if anyone had experience this and if it's common enough. If I want real estate advice and low rent comedy i'll try a related thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if the council are bidding on houses in an estate , I wouldn't want to take my hard earned money and buy something there. OP i'd look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

chillin117 wrote: »
    = All local authority tenants should live in a kip. Your assertion that they could buy two for the same money in a poorer area. The council usually only ''splash'' out when they have a specific family in mind.

= local authorites get a budget and since over a 1000 families are in need of housing, I would imagine the money is better spread out getting more units for the money rather than spending it on higher price units. and yes so what If I want to save me balls off and work hard for nicer area to live, don't we all.

I should be happy that essentially nicer areas will be pushed out of reach of most hard working couples? so the county council can house many that cannot be bothered working?

The indignation and hypocrisy makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are 7000 people in emergency accomodation in Dublin. Does it make sense to spend 280,000 on a single property?
    Is that the wisest use of funds? That's an extremely dubious proposition.
    I have absolutely zero confidence that DCC are disposing of their resources optimally here. We're entitled to ask questions when taxpayer and public funds are being disposed of.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

if the council are bidding on houses in an estate , I wouldn't want to take my hard earned money and buy something there. OP i'd look elsewhere.

thank you, its actually a point I made to the agent. imagine choking yourself on a 300 grand mortgae just to have similar in the neighbourhood bought up and given to wasters! you fooked if you want to sell it later also,.

Thanks Cartman, at leaset the post wasn't wasted on yourself, I appreciate it mate.

And thanks for the honest advice.:)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There are 7000 people in emergency accomodation in Dublin. Does it make sense to spend 280,000 on a single property?
    Is that the wisest use of funds? That's an extremely dubious proposition.
    I have absolutely zero confidence that DCC are disposing of their resources optimally here. We're entitled to ask questions when taxpayer and public funds are being disposed of.

again thank you, you get my point, rather than the knee jerk, Im a snob routine!
    thanks for the honest post.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

chillin117 wrote: »

They don't build graffiti , burned out cars, broken windows and dirt into estates no matter who builds them. Who do you think puts all that stuff there ? and why is it that the more expensive a house is , the less of that seems to be around.

rusty cole wrote: »
    I grew up in finglas south nimrod, since I was 7, originally from town since you're so concerned with where I should and shouldn't buy. The house we really like is where it is end of story. your facetious remarks are neither helpful or welcome, read the post, I was asking if anyone had experience this and if it's common enough. If I want real estate advice and low rent comedy i'll try a related thread.

I'm not concerned and I don't care where you grew up. My point stands. The council also really like the house you are bidding on and are prepared to pay more than you. Why should they buy a house a Finglas when clearly the house you're bidding on is more desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod: rusty, read the charter before posting in the forum again. Everyone else take the discussion down a notch. Generalisations of groups of people are unwelcome here.

"All local authority tenants should live in a kip. Your assertion that they could buy two for the same money in a poorer area. The council usually only ''splash'' out when they have a specific family in mind"

Also I didnt say a poorer area, you called finglas a poorer area, I said finglas south because I saw plenty that area for example approx 145k.

lets say some family is homless tonight, you think TD's should say, ah we've no house becuase we wanted to buy one particular unit in access of 300K with joe tax payers money, ehhhhh why?????

as opposed to here's a house in Finglas / blanchardstown/tallaght/ cabra etc. eh why?? right so the homelss are refusing houses now unless they're above 300K pull your head out of your arse.

Mod: rusty, read the charter before posting in the forum again. Everyone else take the discussion down a notch. Generalisations of groups of people are unwelcome here.

no problem whatsoever with you locking this Michael D. I'll try agains some other time. for those that saw what I was driving at, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Given the paucity of local authority building in recent decades, I'd be surprised if there's many areas /estates around that don't have some local authority tenants (either in a unit owned by the local authority or a private landlord) so it somewhat makes a mockery of the idea that a few such tenants will immediately ruin the area.

As for being outbid, it sucks but if you were selling and the council offered you the most money, I doubt you'd care much.

• Advertisement

if you've spent the last 3 years breaking your back saving for a house deposit and and you finally see a house you like, only to be told you've been outbid by a local authority who have " a certain family" in mind for that house..tell me then you're happy with that.

a certain family who hadn't saved a penny for a deposit and will have a chunk of their rent paid etc, while the cost of buying for you goes up by the day.

yes I should be happy at that. Makes total sense.

You're not the only one here breaking their back and you're definitely not the first person here who's been outbid by somebody else.

Given the paucity of local authority building in recent decades, I'd be surprised if there's many areas /estates around that don't have some local authority tenants (either in a unit owned by the local authority or a private landlord) so it somewhat makes a mockery of the idea that a few such tenants will immediately ruin the area.

As for being outbid, it sucks but if you were selling and the council offered you the most money, I doubt you'd care much.

we were offered 205k when selling my mams old housei in finglas south many yrs ago. We took 195k from the council cos it was a clean payment and no risk, so I get and have experience of your point. but what's this bidding war crap?? are the housing someone in witness protection FFS!!

You're not the only one here breaking their back and you're definitely not the first person here who's been outbid by somebody else.

and I said that. again, refer to post!! you've been outbid by the council too then??

helllooo point of the post!!!

hows the trolling coming along anyway?? catching many billy goats gruff then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

rusty cole wrote:
    we were offered 205k when selling my mams old housei in finglas south many yrs ago. We took 195k from the council cos it was a clean payment and no risk, so I get and have experience of your point. but what's this bidding war crap?? are the housing someone in witness protection FFS!!

You were outbid, whom by is irrelevant. Move on find somewhere else. Crappy, but your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod: OP has been temporarily banned for failing to post in a civil manner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement