Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Fees for Extension under 40m2

Options
  • 13-06-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

We're are at the start of the process of building an extension. We have hired an architect, they have been out 4 times and issued two sets of drawings.

They have also had to fill in required costings forms for the banks. I'm just wondering would anyone know what this amount of work should cost? We're after being issue with a bill for €6k and I feel sick :D

If anyone could shine some light on this I'd appreciate it

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DJDOO wrote: »
    Hi,

We're are at the start of the process of building an extension. We have hired an architect, they have been out 4 times and issued two sets of drawings.

They have also had to fill in required costings forms for the banks. I'm just wondering would anyone know what this amount of work should cost? We're after being issue with a bill for €6k and I feel sick :D

Did you not get a quote before works started?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

DJDOO wrote: »
    Hi,

I would recommend seeking medical attention if you feel sick.

1. What were the drawings for? (Sketch design, planning, tender, construction?)
    2. What are the works drafted/designed/redesigned?
    3. are there existing issues of non-compliance with building regs?
    4. Is there a 'pain in the arse' type job to factor in here? Ie is it pokey/old/damp/boundary issues/ planning issues/friends/family/husband and wife tag team contradicting one another?
    5. Did you give a clear brief? Was the brief to decipher the brief :)
    6. What is the m2 development?
    7. What is the budget?
    8. Was the budget realistic?
    9 what liability has the designer taken on?
    10. Why 4 visits? What were they for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

4 visits is 1,000 to 1,200 anyway, before time spent on site.

So that leaves say 5,000 at say 250 and hour
    or 25 hrs at 200 an hour.
    being able to fill out the costings forms means that some fairly detailed work was done as it couldn't be otherwise.

Seems pretty reasonable, having a guess at what work was done.
    Was there NO discussion of fees at the hiring stage?
    Was the guy recommended by a friend and you felt it might be done on a semi-freebie basis?.

Having said all that what does their profession association code say about the matter on client engagement.

Something not right here

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭893bet

250/200 an hour for an architect for an extension? Lol are you joking?

No one can comment with out more information.

Is it a ground floor 30 m2 extension or a two story 90m2 one.

Sounds expensive enough either way given this was only for design with no tender or supervision (I assume this as you say you are only starting the process) but per Bryan, info required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

As everyone else says - we need more info on what exactly has been done to date.

To me - based on filling in a lot of blanks - and assuming you are haven't started on site yet - it sounds expensive although not impossible depending on what complications have been involved.

There's no harm ringing them and say you're a little surprised by the amount and can you get an itemised/broken down bill.

Unless you have already got one - in which case you shouldn't have posted so little info!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

893bet wrote: »
    250/200 an hour for an architect for an extension? Lol are you joking?

All I can say here that my experience is perhaps somewhat more limited than yours here.
    I am an accountant, since 1987, and I have done a good few professional services audits over the years, as well as prepare accounts for smaller professional services enterprises.

Just as a marker, do you think euro 600, plus VAT, per hour is outrageous for a partner in an architect practice, or in a QS practice.

The garage where i bought my car charges euro 200 plus VAT an hour for servicing.

It depends who was engaged.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Sounds expensive but are you happy with their work? What additional fees required staying with them vs someone else?

All I can say here that my experience is perhaps somewhat more limited than yours here.
    I am an accountant, since 1987, and I have done a good few professional services audits over the years, as well as prepare accounts for smaller professional services enterprises.

Just as a marker, do you think euro 600, plus VAT, per hour is outrageous for a partner in an architect practice, or in a QS practice.

The garage where i bought my car charges euro 200 plus VAT an hour for servicing.

It depends who was engaged.

600 per hour is not out of the question if the person warrants that wage. If they are designing a one off building (we are talking the freedom tower in New York here) and have completed various previous projects of an equal size etc etc.

The OP is putting an extension on his house. They are not the same. Seriously 250 an hour you think is justifiable.
    Had you said maybe they did 100 hours *50 including vat then that is believable. But 250.

And if your garage charges 200plus vat for labour for a service then you are been taken for a ride.

Perhaps they charge 200 for the service including parts (oil, filters, bulbs, maybe a break pad etc) and it takes roughly an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

100 hours *50 including vat then that is believable. But 250. /QUOTE]

You be lucky to get someone to do a nixer for €50/hr. €120-150+VAT per hour for a fully qualified and established Architect would be fairly standard I believe.

kieran. wrote: »
    100 hours *50 including vat then that is believable. But 250. /QUOTE]

You be lucky to get someone to do a nixer for €50/hr. €120-150+VAT per hour for a fully qualified and established Architect would be fairly standard I believe.

Fair enough.

I disagree.

150 per hour is 6k a week per tax. Even taking 2k a week for over heads leaves 4K pre tax for income

Shall we do a poll on who here is pulling 4k a week working on house extensions.

People here try and justify everything sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

25-30 billable hours in a 40 hour week was the way it worked out on average in the last practice I worked. The Principles rate was €175 / hr Technicians range from €50-100/hr.

Anyhow back on topic, OP without more detail on the services your Architect carried out it is impossible to say if its good or bad value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Also bear in mind that the rate a practice charges a client per hour is very different from what the person doing the work gets per hours. All the overheads, office costs, insurances, utilities, VAT, employer's prsi, etc. etc. are all factored in to it.

If the rate for a billable rate for a technician is €50/hr that technician will be lucky to see €25/hr.

Advertisement