Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running low on disc space on C:..Win 7 home

• 13-06-2016 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

C: is 50GB and showing full.
    D: has 700Gb free
    Downloads are to D: but wont execute as no discs space on C:
    so wont allow cleaner or other software.
    Have run MS essentials and Malwarebytes, nothing showing.
    Wont allow changing virtual memory etc under system

Any suggestions please.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try deleting old restore points and disabling shadow volume copies, also move some non-system stuff to D:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

My laptop does this from time to time. Gets so bad I can't even copy or move files over to d:( I use teracopy) I have to delete something in order to even move something bigger. Doesn't have to be that big but just enough to let teracopy work again to move something bigger.

Go to the add/remove programs in windows control panel and delete some things you don't need.

If c: is a partition you could try making it bigger with a bit of space from d:. Right click on my computer and choose 'manage' and go to storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Find out the location of your temporary folders.

There will be at least two of them. You probably can't download anything because the browser is downloading to %TEMP% first before copying over, and %TEMP% is on the C:\.

Here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks
    The new downloads are going to D: but wont execute as no room on C:.
    Disk cleanup wont work on C either, no room.
    Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes wont update either as no room on C.
    Its not my machine so need to check if C and D are two physical drives or not, my guess is not.

Will try that new link Seamus.. thanks

I did try some of the stuff here
    http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide/
    and here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/you-are-running-low-on-disk-space-keeps-popping-up/dec14446-e64d-4ad2-83d9-f5400cc02388

but couldn't follow the Start and R bit below:
    [ I know how to access and move around the hard drive/ delete files etc using the command line screen]
    Method 1: Delete the temporary and prefetch file.

Please follow the steps given here to delete the temporary and prefetch file.
    a) Press Start + R. Type “%temp%” without quotes and hit enter.
    b) Select all the files and delete them.
    c) Type “prefetch” without quotes and hit enter.
    d) Select all the files and delete them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Start + R probably should be Windows key + R And then type %temp% and hit Enter

or

Start - All Programs - Accessories - Run And then type %temp% and hit Enter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Boice

You may try AOMEI Partition Assistant to resize partition.
    Since you have 700GB free in D, make some free space from D to C. The size can be set according to your demands. If there's not enough space to install the program, I think you can delete something not that important first.

Thanks for all the suggestions
    Have moved the temp and TMP files to D
    attached 3 screenshots from a program called tree file
    Breakdown of C drive
    Breakdown of windows files within C drive
    100 largest files on C drive

Any suggestions as to what I might do next, I have got some space back but wonder cam I clean out anymore.
    Didn't resize partition yet as I want to back it upon, just in case.

Have run cccleaner
    Thanks as always

ps I need enough room to upgrade from Win ( 7 to 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

If it was me I'd do a clean install. Every now and again, probably about once a year I do a fresh install of windows because it starts getting laggy and less responsive. If that's not an option here is a link to a page that might help.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

Thanks.
    Its not my rig so I have backed it up for them, took 50 Gb off D and merged it with C using AOMEI Partition Assistant as suggested by Boice Thanks!.

Case closed!

Advertisement