Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muzzle Question.

• 13-06-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for advice on muzzle size.

My big bear who is a "dangerous breed" is going to start wearing a muzzle even tho she's the last dog in the world who would ever bite.

She is a big lazy lump and when I walk her she has her mouth wide open panting away. But when I put the muzzle on she can't open her mouth as wide. Now she can open her mouth a bit I'm not that stupid I know she needs to pant but I'm not sure if it's just too small or its normal? For argument sake just say she opens her mouth 6 inches without a muzzle and she can only open it 2 inches with a muzzle. Is it enough?

I tried her with the biggest muzzle I could find and she could fully open her mouth but it was just way too big for her face and looked silly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

She's a restricted breed, not dangerous, I know its semantics, but if we can its best to avoid using the D word ;)

What breed is she, and what brand of muzzle are you trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

muddypaws wrote: »
    She's a restricted breed, not dangerous, I know its semantics, but if we can its best to avoid using the D word ;)

What breed is she, and what brand of muzzle are you trying?

Hi she's an American Akita and I've tried a size 6 (the biggest size) ultra muzzle which is huge, way too big. Now the new one is an xl julius k9 . She's 10 months old if that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Take a look at greyhound muzzles. They might suit. Anythin that will stop the dog either opening its mouth wide enough or getting a hold of whatever

ganmo wrote: »
    Take a look at greyhound muzzles. They might suit. Anythin that will stop the dog either opening its mouth wide enough or getting a hold of whatever

A greyhound muzzle would probably be too narrow for an Akita.
    Hi she's an American Akita and I've tried a size 6 (the biggest size) ultra muzzle which is huge, way too big. Now the new one is an xl julius k9 . She's 10 months old if that matters.

Oh, the ultras are usually a good fit. Did you try the smaller sizes? What about the fabric muzzles? They are still legally muzzles, but the front of the mouth is left open.

There is somewhere that makes muzzles in different shapes and sizes, I'll see if I can find a link to it :)

Try this place, it is mainly for lurchers, but they have a huge variety, and if you contact them with the measurements, they may well have one to fit properly.

http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47289

• Advertisement

Try this place, it is mainly for lurchers, but they have a huge variety, and if you contact them with the measurements, they may well have one to fit properly.

Great thanks I'll have a look at that link. Do you think this looks too big? I might just stick with it cause at least she can pant which is the main thing

Great thanks I'll have a look at that link. Do you think this looks too big? I might just stick with it cause at least she can pant which is the main thing

This is the smaller one

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks to me like it's up very close to her eyes?

This is the smaller one! First one is the big on .

• Advertisement

This looks better but can't open her mouth very wide to pant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Try again with the link there op... It's not linked in either of your last two posts;)
    The big one isn't too far off the mark size-wise... The fabric muzzles are a non-runner for anything other than brief spells (eg the vets, groomers), but never for exercising as they do not allow a dog to pant properly.

OK... Link to photo is there now, ignore my comment above!
    I think the larger, plastic muzzle is a far better fit for her op. She can also drink with it on (the water would kill the leather Julius muzzle), and you can offer her treats through it too.

Thanks very much for reply. I just brought her for quick 10 min walk and the julius one is a no go as she couldn't pant. Going to go again now with bigger one and see how it goes

Yeah, I think the baskerville ultra looks OK, she is still growing. I use one here, am using it at the moment on a new dog that has come in, and I have taken the bit off that goes between the eyes. I still find it effective.

Surely this is too big?

Yes it does look too big in that photo. But then I'm not sure if its because its slipped down her nose

It looks like it needs the straps shortened up a bit alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

beautiful dog by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Also kudos for muzziling the madra. I have an akita cross that is subjected to the restricted breed laws as well. They get used to the muzzle after a while so dont be worried about that. My one has now associated it with walks so is delighted to see it coming!

I went for the baskiville type and it allows her to pant and to drink with it on and its plenty tight on her to avoid any incidents.

I went for this type though which seems to have a longer snout that the one in your pic...it may suit better..

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/111490565373_/Baskerville-Muzzle-5-Corgi-All-Round-Protection.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement