Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Didnt know this was possible? Game changer if its true.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

bmwguy wrote: »
    http://www.kildarenow.com/news/man-residing-in-co-kildare-border-forced-to-source-car-insurance-in-germany-due-to-irelands-high-prices/97941

Man gets car insurance from German company for half price of Irish companies. As said, didn't know this was possible. But is it really?

I didn't think it was possible either.

I also think the story is dodgy.
    Would you really make a life decision to emigrate over €800 a year extra business expense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He must have used a German address, no way would Zurich Germany write a motor policy for someone living in Ireland, especially when the same company operates here from their Dublin office..... http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/car-insurance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

What is it about the Kildare now website, first the eflow exclusive and now this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

bop1977 wrote: »
    What is it about the Kildare now website, first the eflow exclusive and now this.

Could be a poor man's Waterford Whispers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Allinall wrote: »
    Could be a poor man's Waterford Whispers.

That's exactly what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Not possible, zero chance this is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A friend of mine who was a broker in the UK said it was possible. It's insured using the chassis number. It's rare to do but can be done. Anytime we looked into doing it there was no price benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I read an article good few years ago (probably around 2008 or 2009) about Polish man who got his Irish registered car insured by Polish insurer. Cost probably a €100 or something.

I believe this was true, and while technically shouldn't have happened, plenty of Polish insurers were happy enough to issue a policy on foreign registered car (like Irish).

I'm not certainly sure if I remember right, but I think article said he got prosecuted multiple times by traffic warden for not displaying insurance disc (as obviously Polish insurer didn't issue one) and eventually got pulled over and ended up in court, where he got prosecuted for driving without insurance, as judge said there's no way that this policy could be valid.

While in fact it probably was valid, he'd need a good solicitor to be able to prove that, and afair he was defending himself in the court...

Anyway - at the moment no Polish insurer will issue a policy on foreign registered car, except from short term 30 day policies - for purpose of importing a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Would you really make a life decision to emigrate over €800 a year extra business expense?
    Me too. The difference between €730 and €1290 a year, i.e. €860 or €16.54 a week is enough to "force" him to emigrate to Canada? Pull the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

We should have a Boards.ie based insurance company with premiums decided based on how good you are at criticising other people's parking and driving in this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We should have a Boards.ie based insurance company with premiums decided based on how good you are at criticising other people's parking and driving in this forum

And how clean you keep your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

It's not a satire site anyway. It's rubbish site but not satire. Unless they just print any auld rubbish they are sent. My insurance didn't go up too much and isn't renewable until March 17 so hopefully it's sorted by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Ha, maybe it is all a joke. They got what they wanted from me so, belief.

It's not a joke, just not a very well run website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw a clickbait title and clicked it.
    You won't believe what happened next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

In fairness, if they want a Single European Market, then all goods/services should be taken into account.
    There needs to be a big shakeup to the insurance market here in Ireland, and other countries in Europe handle insurance better than others. The fact the insurance is a legal requirement when owning a vehicle, the amount it costs shouldn't be a number pulled from thin air from the insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Common market b*ll*cks, if that was true then this story would not be anything unusual.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    In fairness, if they want a Single European Market, then all goods/services should be taken into account.
    There needs to be a big shakeup to the insurance market here in Ireland, and other countries in Europe handle insurance better than others. The fact the insurance is a legal requirement when owning a vehicle, the amount it costs shouldn't be a number pulled from thin air from the insurance companies.

Most people insure Comprehensive, or Third part, Fire, and Theft.

The legal requirement is just Third Part personal injuries. That is - you cause an accident/collision and the occupants of the other vehicle are injured and the car is written off. The insurance pays for the injuries (but not yours) and you pay for the physical damage to the other car and to your own.

If that is the extent of the cover, then good luck to you. Hope you never need to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The legal requirement is just Third Part personal injuries. That is - you cause an accident/collision and the occupants of the other vehicle are injured and the car is written off. The insurance pays for the injuries (but not yours) and you pay for the physical damage to the other car and to your own.

If that is the extent of the cover, then good luck to you. Hope you never need to claim.

Minimum legal requirement is third party, including both personal injuries and property damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I know if you are foreign national residing here, you can get ex-pat insurance from the likes of Clements. You need to carefully read the fine print as the coverage is not like for like with Irish offerings but it is possible to be insured and for considerably less. The catch being you can't be an Irish national.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Autoline in Northern Ireland offer classic policies in the south. I know classic is different but still the same principle. Insurance from a different country at the end of the day.

Considering how unregulated the insurance industry is, it's a bit much to say that a foreign insurer can't offer a policy here. At the end of the day, if the terms of the policy meet the minimum cover required, I don't personally see what odds it makes where the office is. I'm sure there is some law stopping it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

millington wrote: »
    Autoline in Northern Ireland offer classic policies in the south. I know classic is different but still the same principle. Insurance from a different country at the end of the day.

Autoline don't underwrite the policies, they're underwritten by Allianz Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

millington wrote: »

Considering how unregulated the insurance industry is, it's a bit much to say that a foreign insurer can't offer a policy here. At the end of the day, if the terms of the policy meet the minimum cover required, I don't personally see what odds it makes where the office is. I'm sure there is some law stopping it all the same.

All insurance is covered by reinsurance companies and there are only a few of these. So a foreign company wanting to quote in Ireland would need to get a reinsurance policy and they already cover Ireland.

We won't get cheaper insurance till our legal system is reformed and judges start living in the real world, but that won't happen as most solicitors costs are a percentage of the payout and judges come from the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I didn't think it was possible either.

Granted my financial situation has changed for the better in the last 30 days, but if my insurance went up again next year, I would have issues maintaining my car, continuing my current employment, and be plunged into a world of uncertainty.

Don't underestimate how just a few euro can be the world of difference for people living on the absolute cutting edge. I'm a qualified professional with years of experience in my field, earning on paper what is a good salary, and yet coupled with renting costs, living costs (inclusive of insurance) I've spent two years basically accounting for every euro, sweating bullets two weeks of every month grinding out waiting for the next payday.

I've finally got myself some breathing space. I have definitly contemplated leaving, only for having a 18 month old, and a second on the way, makes me think we are better to be settled here then up sticks and leave, where I'd probably triple my salary in Canada or the states and massively improve my state of life for my family.

I don't know the validity of the story or the website, but sometimes when you deal with some many price increases or kicks in the bollox, there can be one that is the last straw.

Typically I kinda roll my eyes up at citizen driven movements for things that sound a bit weird, but I'm actually fully behind this movement, and happy to see movement already in the Dail.

In five years, my insurance has gone from €700 - 1350. No accidents, claims and thats with an improving no claims bonus.

Again the guts of €500 doesnt sound like a lot over a year, but when your stretched, the circa €40 a month can be huge.

I always thought that there was a list of licensed insurance-disc-issuers in Ireland and only policies issued by those companies on that list were valid. The only way to get on that list is to attend some Fianna Fail meetup in the 70's and give Albert Reynolds a handshake, a bottle of fine wine and an envelope stuffed with cash attached. All after a lengthy consultation period from the department of transport of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Alun wrote: »
    Would you really make a life decision to emigrate over 800 a year extra business expense?
    Me too. The difference between 730 and 1290 a year, i.e. 860 or 16.54 a week is enough to "force" him to emigrate to Canada? Pull the other one.

The difference between 1290 and 730 is 560.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I always thought that there was a list of licensed insurance-disc-issuers in Ireland and only policies issued by those companies on that list were valid. The only way to get on that list is to attend some Fianna Fail meetup in the 70's and give Albert Reynolds a handshake, a bottle of fine wine and an envelope stuffed with cash attached. All after a lengthy consultation period from the department of transport of course

I once wanted to dig through this - but got lost in the Statue Book. The requirement for insurance comes from 196x regulations, which go back to 30s insurance regulations when defining an insurance company.

People from the Republic have been using Irish Insurance for driving a UK registered cars in UK (during the process of private import) for years now and it seems fine. I really don't see a reason why this relationship should work only one way.

Nevertheless, even if such insurance is recognised, it should be noted that the driver is still committing an offence by not displaying the disc. The reason for it, regardless how sensible it is - for instance 'No disc was issued' - is irrelevant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's TPL - Third-Party Liability. The insurance company (second party) promises to cover any damage the insured (first party) causes to other people and property.

Be aware that if you crash into your house, your second car etc - TPL will not cover those damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

With a 100% loading if you dare put 'ditchfinders' or part worns on your car. Continental winter tyres with 15mm of thread as a minimum

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

my car is insured with a danish crowd (Gefion insurance, copenhagen)

according to my broker they gave the best quote

It's done through Patrona in Ireland though, I don't think it's the same as what yer man in the OP did,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's done through Patrona in Ireland though, I don't think it's the same as what yer man in the OP did,

all right, i don't care as long as i get a disc off them

wouldn't like to have to deal with them if anything goes wrong

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've had a few insurance companies like that before too that my broker came back with!

Yeah, I've had a few insurance companies like that before too that my broker came back with!

it proves what a joke the whole insurance game is :pac:

Were they cheap? Any broker I ever dealt with only brought up Axa, Aviva and friends.

Twould be nice to find an ultra-obscure insurance company based out of a colourful prefab in Hofn, Iceland who dont mind sending on a .pdf of an insurance cert to print

Is it legal to print one's own insurance cert if it comes from an actual insurance company? Is there a requirement for it to be printed by a printer that's owned by the insurance company, certified by the Irish insurance cartel and watermarked with holy water that was blessed by the patron saint of car insurance?

Were they cheap? Any broker I ever dealt with only brought up Axa, Aviva and friends.

Twould be nice to find an ultra-obscure insurance company based out of a colourful prefab in Hofn, Iceland who dont mind sending on a .pdf of an insurance cert to print

Is it legal to print one's own insurance cert if it comes from an actual insurance company? Is there a requirement for it to be printed by a printer that's owned by the insurance company, certified by the Irish insurance cartel and watermarked with holy water that was blessed by the patron saint of car insurance?

mine is not cheap. 1200 quid for the year

but that is at least a couple of hundred cheaper than axa aviva etc

Cheapest one my broker had this year was a company called Bump. But aaaaaAllianz and axa were actually close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

There's no such thing as an ultra obscure insurer. What you have is managing general agents such as Kennco or Wrightway that use various underwriters to write their motor insurance business such as Gefion or Kiln.

There is no chance that Zurich Germany have written a policy into Ireland when they have Zurich Ireland writing motor business. The only way they possibly did was if he completely misled them as to his information.

peteb2 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an ultra obscure insurer. What you have is managing general agents such as Kennco or Wrightway that use various underwriters to write their motor insurance business such as Gefion or Kiln.

There is no chance that Zurich Germany have written a policy into Ireland when they have Zurich Ireland writing motor business. The only way they possibly did was if he completely misled them as to his information.

that would be seem to be the general consensus of the thread

if some headcase out in copenhagen wants to insure me to drive the back roads of north galway,connemara, and the bog roads of south mayo fair play to him :D

ps i have a clean 18 yr driving record so that may be relevant

100% Pete

If what he was doing was above board, wouldn't he and the rest of us be better off directing 6000 people to do business with Zurich Germany rather than getting them to protest in Dublin.

gefion insurance copnhagen are actually pretty smart

they are gettin 1200 snots from me, risk free, as i don't make mistakes on the road

Cheapest one my broker had this year was a company called Bump. But aaaaaAllianz and axa were actually close.

Never heard of Bump. Just looked. They are an underwriting agent. So using a Lloyds syndicate called Zenith Insurance Ltd, who ironically have pulled their agency from ARB leaving them looking for another undewriter.

That's the thing with any of these underwriting agents, their underwriter can withdraw at any time leaving them looking around to try and replace them with another supplier. Kennco recently lost one of their motor underwriters on a product. They have an agreement for a new one from October but on certain products they just aren't offering renewal until then.

XR3i wrote: »
    gefion insurance copnhagen are actually pretty smart

they are gettin 1200 snots from me, risk free, as i don't make mistakes on the road

Then you've failed in your understanding of insurance. Because its not you that push up your premiums, its your comrades with Gefion that have claims.

Never heard of Bump. Just looked. They are an underwriting agent. So using a Lloyds syndicate called Zenith Insurance Ltd, who ironically have pulled their agency from ARB leaving them looking for another undewriter.

That's the thing with any of these underwriting agents, their underwriter can withdraw at any time leaving them looking around to try and replace them with another supplier. Kennco recently lost one of their motor underwriters on a product. They have an agreement for a new one from October but on certain products they just aren't offering renewal until then.

you said it all in one there

Then you've failed in your understanding of insurance. Because its not you that push up your premiums, its your comrades with Gefion that have claims.

i beg to differ

what pushes up my premiums is that all my driving record is out foreign,

and my car is a 19 yr old hape of scrap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That is like something from Monty Python. So the solution in this case would be to take your foreign issued policy and fold it into a disc shape before sticking it to the inside of your windscreen.
    grogi wrote: »
    Nevertheless, even if such insurance is recognised, it should be noted that the driver is still committing an offence by not displaying the disc. The reason for it, regardless how sensible it is - for instance 'No disc was issued' - is irrelevant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My last couple of bike policies came as a pdf, IIRC once the cert has the green bar it's a legit document.

Didn't we already have an insurance company working from a prefab in a foreign country offering cheap policies? We also had a company working from fancy Irish offices doing cheap policies. They both worked out well.

Any insurance company quoting for this country will be expensive, our litigious culture and overly generous judiciary ensure that, that's if any new could be bothered to enter our market. We pay huge premiums yet no company has entered the market except Liberty taking over Quinn, there is something fundamentally wrong with our system where big companies won't enter even with our high premiums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement