Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Italy V Belgium 8PM RTE2 / BBC

12346»

Comments

Belgium. The Caroline Wozniacki of football. Being ranked no 1 means f**k all unless you can win something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Belgium. The Caroline Wozniacki of football. Being ranked no 1 means f**k all unless you can win something.

Their ranked no.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Cant even keep a fiancé...

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Their ranked no.2

Confirms they're sh*te then.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I didn't think the Italians were that good, more so that the Belgians were rubbish. DeBruyne was awful, simply awful. Couldn't pass, cross, nothing. Hazard picked it up in the 2nd half but wasn't too hard since the 1st half was just a repeat of his Chelsea form.

Fellani did ok, nothing special but far from the worst. Vertongen seemed to be the only one that cared at all out there.

And for all of that they really should have come away with at least a draw. Lukaku had a gilt edged chance, yes Buffon did well but even he went down early and basically left the whole goal to aim at and Lukaku missed! Origi was even worse when he came on. Bad enough to miss a chance but even couldn't even seem to pass the ball.

The Italian defence, for all the lauding it received in RTE, creaked many times tonight and any half decent team would have tested them more. They spent long periods, especially in the 2nd half, simply hoofing the ball clear. I woul bet that if Ireland are given that amount of the ball they could create at least a few chances. Belgium even got a few chances from corner kicks, not something that usually happens to a good Italian defence.

Based on that match tonight, Belgium are going to struggle to get out of the group and Italy are going to be sent packing once they meet a half decent team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I don't understand why sections of the media were so quick to write off Italy.

Conte is hardly a mug of a coach having won 3 titles in a row with Juve. They have an excellent defence with a terrific goalie. .

Belgium strike me as all flash, no substance. Wilmots is also no great shakes as a tactician. A lot of Belgian fans think he's not good enough for the job.

Belgium strike me as all flash, no substance. Wilmots is also no great shakes as a tactician. A lot of Belgian fans think he's not good enough for the job.

Wouldn't right them off yet. Lovely move for the Lukaku effort, though Buffon did spread himself brilliantly to put him off. For sure, they are going to come after us on Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Wouldn't right them off yet. Lovely move for the Lukaku effort, though Buffon did spread himself brilliantly to put him off. For sure, they are going to come after us on Saturday.

If Buffon had stayed on his line Lukaku wouldnt have been one on one. He made a decision to come and agood striker would have easily finished it. Lukaku looked so uncomfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ireland don't have to fear this Belgium team. Our coach is so stubborn that simply because people are saying his tactics suck he'll probably continue with them, purely out of spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Two sides to this coin and I was wrong about both sides.

I fancied Belgium to finally mature into a great team but I was wrong. I blame Wilmots for it too because this is not a team but a bunch of individuals on a field. It's up to him to get them playing together and he has failed to do that. The one thing about them last night though was that they never got frustrated and that is a good sign for the future.

I was wrong about Italy, I thought they were a weak team and that is before the injuries to Marchisio and Verratti. I really fooled myself into believing that an Italian international side were no hopers. They have a great coach and I forgot that too. This performance was intelligent, hardworking and extremely well organised. I think they are serious contenders to win this and I believe that I witnessed the best team performance in the tournament so far last night.

For all Belgium's faults they are still a good team who cruised through qualifying. They are not done in this tournament yet and I fear for Ireland taking them on next.

My last thought is that if you switched the managers of those teams a year ago then last night's game would have seen Belgium thumping Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't understand why sections of the media were so quick to write off Italy.

Conte is hardly a mug of a coach having won 3 titles in a row with Juve. They have an excellent defence with a terrific goalie. .

Never write off italy , or germany , in a tournament !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blukyt

I fear for Ireland to be honest. I can't see Belgium being as bad as they were last night. They would want to take their frustrations out on their next opponents. Ireland will have to defend better. They will have to defend together from the front, as I think the likes of Whelan especially could get overrun in MF if Dembele starts.

For me Dembele has to start. Belgium will have most of the possession, so Dembele is a better option than Fellaini (who can come off the bench). I would have Hazard play on the left with De Bryne as #10. I would start Origi as he has better movement and can drift wide right allowing De Bryne/Dembele space to do damage. Carrasco on the right

It'll be a long 90mins for The Boys in Green. But my heart wants otherwise so COYBIG!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

blukyt wrote: »
    I fear for Ireland to be honest. I can't see Belgium being as bad as they were last night. They would want to take their frustrations out on their next opponents. Ireland will have to defend better. They will have to defend together from the front, as I think the likes of Whelan especially could get overrun in MF if Dembele starts.

For me Dembele has to start. Belgium will have most of the possession, so Dembele is a better option than Fellaini (who can come off the bench). I would have Hazard play on the left with De Bryne as #10. I would start Origi as he has better movement and can drift wide right allowing De Bryne/Dembele space to do damage. Carrasco on the right

It'll be a long 90mins for The Boys in Green. But my heart wants otherwise so COYBIG!!!!

I agree they are wounded now and will pick up themselves up after that poor performance i think. If 2 or 3 of their players play well they will be very dangerous. But on the other hand Ireland will be confident after the Swedish game. Could make for a very exciting game, I'm hopeful but i wouldn't write off Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I agreed they are wounded now and will pick up themselves up after that poor performance i think. If 2 or 3 of their players play well they will be very dangerous. But on the other hand Ireland will be confident after the Swedish game. Could make for a very exciting game, I'm hopeful but i wouldn't write off Belgium

I dont think they care enough to be wounded. Real chance of a win for us if we play like we did against sweden. A real smell of chelsea off belgium...loads of talent but mismanaged and no real desire to go and do the business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Italy winning a game doesn't make them a fantastic tournament team again just yet...they won their first game in the world cup and went out in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is there any reason why Dembele isn't a starter? a midfield of him and Witsel would have nice balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blukyt

Is there any reason why Dembele isn't a starter? a midfield of him and Witsel would have nice balance.

Beats me. If Wilmots has any sense (which I hope he doesn't) he'll be pairing them up against Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

KungPao wrote: »
    I dont think they care enough to be wounded. Real chance of a win for us if we play like we did against sweden. A real smell of chelsea off belgium...loads of talent but mismanaged and no real desire to go and do the business.

I don't believe they don't care about playing for their country. I think they just played badly, every player wants to win a major tournament. It's all about winning for the top players and Belgium have top players. I think Italy were much better than they were expecting, they will pick up thier game and will play better against us. Of course i hope i'm wrong and you're right.

Advertisement