Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy v McCarthy and RTE

• 13-06-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Maybe McCarthy didn't have a great game v Sweden, but he surely didn't deserve the hurler-on-the-ditch vitriol that he got from Dunphy on RTE.

Dunphy didn't have a great game himself tonight, especially after half-time :rolleyes:. He can be entertaining but he has no right to insult the people who earn him his living.

Maybe it's time for RTE to dump Dunphy again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's anazing how people keep falling for his trolling. He has no decent analysis so he just comes out with ridiculous statements to get his name in the headlines and it works perfectly.

He's a despicable person and a terrible analyst but he earns his money by getting people talking and tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He was mostly right about McCarthy.

Odd that people are getting outraged at Eamo this late in his punditry career.

McCarthy was an absolute passenger tonight who more or less refused to show for the ball he had a bad game dont see the issue,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The thing that neither he or the other panelists seemed to mention at least from what I heard was the fact that the guy was on a yellow card from early in the game and was hesitant to tackle... not saying all of the criticism of him wasn't warranted but if you are analysing a game and don't mention that in the defense of the player then you as a pundit are not doing your job.. it has to be balanced.. still think Mccarthy was poor overall and a guy who doesn't make the most of his ability..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He was right.

And is perfectly entitled to express his opinion and the opinion of most people.

Mcarthy has never looked interested when playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

OTT from Dunphy as usual.

Didn't look fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who's the form player we'd want on instead? When McGeady came on, he was a total non entity, so it can't be him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JustTheOne wrote: »
    He was right.

And is perfectly entitled to express his opinion and the opinion of most people.

And should have been taken off after the first post-yellow tackle he made, which imo merited a 2nd yellow. Added to that he did SFA for the remainder of the game:mad:.

Eamo was 100% right about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

McCarthy is a victim of the unusually high expectations we've got for him. He played a few decent games for Wigan, a half-dozen for Everton and we thought we had a world-class midfielder on our hands.

Truth is he's just an above-average PL player who regularly under-performs at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

His opinion on McCarthy is pretty spot on tbh, sure he "sexes" it up a bit, he is on tv and thats his game. He ain't wrong though.

Hilarious how he can still wind people up after all these years though, all I miss now is Bill lobbing grenades and sitting back watching the carnage playing the fool :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

briany wrote: »
    Who's the form player we'd want on instead? When McGeady came on, he was a total non entity, so it can't be him.

He gave his answer to that. Start McClean wide and drop Hoolahan deeper into midfield. Which (whether you agree or not) we all know has zero chance of happening while Martin O'Neill is manager. McCarthy has always seemed anonymous to me and I'd tend to agree with Dunphy. I'd play Hoolahan, Whelan and Hendrick as a middle three, Brady, Long and Walters(if fit.) up front. Would mean Clark to left back, or Ward to come in there. Wouldn't have McGeady near the pitch. McClean as substitute material only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

McCarthy had an excellent first season after moving to Everton, then an injury ravaged second season - and then last season he was terrible. So he's pretty much Roberto Martinez' whole Everton career encapsulated in one player.

But Dunphy is an idiot. He wants to replace McCarthy with McClean. So he wants to replace a central midfielder with a winger. The only option is to replace him with either Myler or Quinn. I think I'll take my chances with McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

He was right.

Did you read the OP?

"Maybe McCarthy didn't have a great game v Sweden, but he surely didn't deserve the hurler-on-the-ditch vitriol that he got from Dunphy on RTE.
    eg - "waste of space", "traffic cone"

My post was about Dunphy nastily abusing McCarthy and RTE paying him to do so.

What Dunphy said was not punditry - it was just nasty vitriol.

Giles and Brady did not say McCarthy had a good game, but they said what they had to say without being nasty and insulting.

GFish wrote: »
    Did you read the OP?

"Maybe McCarthy didn't have a great game v Sweden, but he surely didn't deserve the hurler-on-the-ditch vitriol that he got from Dunphy on RTE.
    eg - "waste of space", "traffic cone"

My post was about Dunphy nastily abusing McCarthy and RTE paying him to do so.

What Dunphy said was not punditry - it was just nasty vitriol.

Giles and Brady did not say McCarthy had a good game, but they said what they had to say without being nasty and insulting.

Ah stop will you.

I'm sure mcarthy is really offended over dumphy giving him stick.

Ffs he's a grown lad. This isn't primary school stuff.

Did you read anything yet?

Good man.

Ah stop will you.

Ah stop willa :rolleyes:

Read something before you reply to it

Ah stop willa :rolleyes:

Read something before you reply to it

You're upset I get it.

But noone has agreed with your analysis.

Hard luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Laois_Man wrote: »
    McCarthy had an excellent first season after moving to Everton, then an injury ravaged second season - and then last season he was terrible. So he's pretty much Roberto Martinez' whole Everton career encapsulated in one player.

But Dunphy is an idiot. He wants to replace McCarthy with McClean. So he wants to replace a central midfielder with a winger. The only option is to replace him with either Myler or Quinn. I think I'll take my chances with McCarthy.

I find it ironic that you are calling another guy an idiot when you misunderstood what he was saying :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ah stop will you.

It's about showing respect. Its pure hyperbole attention grabbing insults. He found an easy target and now the post match analysis is all about the poor show by McCarthy rather than other things.

Catch 22 for Mccarthy. But he brought it on himself after that error and consequent yellow. He was afraid/cautious/smart (however you see it) not to throw himself about and risk anot her yellow. You could see the fear of it at times, backing away from physical contact with his hands in the air.
    As I said it was O Neill who should have taken him off perhaps after the first goal when impending pressure was naturally going to happen, considering our weak mindset often when going ahead. Not too much options off the bench but Quinn would have done a better job. . That's when you need a fearless battler and Mccarthy just couldn't be that player after the early booking

Dunphy has constantly insulted Whelan over the years (completely wrongly most of the time) yet he was possibly up there as our best player tonight so he won't even mention him. He would have been hopping off the ceiling if Whelan made a few errors. Why not keep the over the top statements and use them for a bit of positive feedback.

It's about showing respect. Its pure hyperbole attention grabbing insults. He found an easy target and now the post match analysis is all about the poor show by McCarthy rather than other things.

Catch 22 for Mccarthy. But he brought it on himself after that error and consequent yellow. He was afraid/cautious/smart (however you see it) not to throw himself about and risk anot her yellow. You could see the fear of it at times, backing away from physical contact with his hands in the air.
    As I said it was O Neill who should have taken him off perhaps. After the goal when the pressure was impending. That's when you need a fearless battler and Mccarthy just couldn't be that player after the early booking

Dunphy has constantly insulted Whelan over the years yet he was possibly up there as our best player tonight so he won't even mention him. He would have been hopping off the ceiling if Whelan made a few errors. Why not keep the over the top statements and use them for a bit of positive feedback.

Eh he did mention him.

He said I have been critical of whelan through the years but he was brilliant tonight.

If you didn't even watch the analysis get out of here spouting nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

McCarthy wasn't even Ireland's poorest player, Coleman was head and shoulders taking that honour. But Eamo is hardly going to criticise the boy 'who should be playing for top sides in Europe' now is he. McCarthy didn't have a good game but I didn't think he was terrible either, he just didn't do anything that stood out except get booked. He certainly wasn't 'just standing there either', still covered a lot of ground during the game, which ironically is veering into old Whelan territory of not seeing a lot of what he does.

He's right about McCarthy.

He's not fulfilling his potential and at this stage probably never will.

Good at pointing though!

Eh he did mention him.

He said I have been critical of whelan through the years but he was brilliant tonight.

If you didn't even watch the analysis get out of here spotting nonsense.

Fair enough, I missed that. I was trying to watch most of the post match analysis on an app stream on my phone on the train home after watching the match in town Forgive me for missing a brief part.

I'll stay here though, Chill out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Dunphy - I think The Special One, Mourinho, was right when he decided to get rid of De Bruyne.

I still can't believe most people take what he says seriously. Every time he comes out with something outrageous! About Mccarthy, I suppose he wasn't great. Doesn't need to tear into the lad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

all I miss now is Bill lobbing grenades and sitting back watching the carnage playing the fool :)

Good old Bill, god rest his soul. A lovely man by all accounts, my father met him a good few times and said you'd never meet a nicer chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Didnt Roy Keane say something worse about an Irish player 2weeks ago???
    Were is the op's outrage about that???

And thats the assistant manager, not just a mad pundit that always goes over the top, but is good entertainment.

And when it comes to dunphy, no player is ever as good as he makes out, nor as bad as he says. He is tv gold, and we all watch the ateam.
    Just relax and get on with it.

Sure two years ago, he said something worse about a Brazilian player, when he thought he was off air. I was in bits laughing.

Dunphy - I think The Special One, Mourinho, was right when he decided to get rid of De Bruyne.

I still can't believe most people take what he says seriously. Every time he comes out with something outrageous! About Mccarthy, I suppose he wasn't great. Doesn't need to tear into the lad though.

Agreed.
    I'm a new recruit to the "Dunphy is an Asshole" camp.
    He has swopped being entertaining for being downright nasty.

About Mccarthy, I suppose he wasn't great. Doesn't need to tear into the lad though.

Why wasnt there a thread about Keane tearing into a player????
    Does he need to do it in public? The answer is no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dunphy is a fool who plays up to the camera, he's there purely to be controversial, sure its years since he offered any meaningful insight into a game. I think everyone agrees on that. I do think he went ott in his criticism of McCarthy tonight but sure nobody takes him seriously anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

OTT from Dunphy as usual.

Didn't look fit.

He must be in his 70s, looks fit to me.

enzo roco wrote: »

And thats the assistant manager, not just a mad pundit that always goes over the top, but is good entertainment.

And when it comes to dunphy, no player is ever as good as he makes out, nor as bad as he says. He is tv gold, and we all watch the ateam.

Sure two years ago, he said something worse about a Brazilian player, when he thought he was off air. I was in bits laughing.

Ehhhhhhh, did you not see there was one or two comments in the media about that.............and that Roy Keane came out and apologised.
    What Keane said was accurrate and whilst disrespectful to say it in his position it may be the push a disinterested McGeady needs.

Whilst Dunphy had a point that McCarthy wasnt at the races today, his manner of putting it across was hyperbole and over the top. Dunphy needs an Irish player or manager to underperform to fall victim to his ire, thats when he stands out. His reading of the game has gone awful, and it was never good at all.

I'd prefer to listen to a bit of proper analysis on our biggest game in 4 years rather than "tv gold" It wasn't the time to steal the headlines Dunphy style.

Yet, again, he has succeeded.

Keep the "tv gold" for Albania v Romania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As I said it was O Neill who should have taken him off perhaps after the first goal when impending pressure was naturally going to happen, considering our weak mindset often when going ahead. Not too much options off the bench but Quinn would have done a better job. . That's when you need a fearless battler and Mccarthy just couldn't be that player after the early booking

That could be an excuse for tonight bit the fact is he has form for being anonymous in a green jersey.

The Germany match was the one time where I hoped he had turned a corner bit it just proved to be a one-off.

As for Dunphy, RTE spend a lot more money on other bollocks than they do on him. Everyone knows the deal with him. How he offends people at this stage is beyond me.

enzo roco wrote: »

That is a very fair point.
    So can we all agree that Dunphy and Keane are both as*h*les?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

MC carthy disappeared as soon as he got the yellow,he wasnt great b4 it either

Dunphy in soccer

Hook in rugby

Brolly in gaa

Any one see any similarities, bad publicity is better than no publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MC carthy disappeared as soon as he got the yellow,he wasnt great b4 it either

Dunphy in soccer

Hook in rugby

Brolly in gaa

Any one see any similarities, bad publicity is better than no publicity

Yeah.
    Punditry is a load of nonsense anyway when you actually think about it. Same rehashed nonsense really, even when it's good.
    Just a means for the commercial stations sell more adds and extend broadcasting times for games.
    Brolly can at least write a good article in his defence.

TBH, I'd rather be entertained than listen to "accurate" punditry.

• Advertisement

Ehhhhhhh, did you not see there was one or two comments in the media about that.............and that Roy Keane came out and apologised.
    What Keane said was accurrate and whilst disrespectful to say it in his position it may be the push a disinterested McGeady needs.

Whilst Dunphy had a point that McCarthy wasnt at the races today, his manner of putting it across was hyperbole and over the top. Dunphy needs an Irish player or manager to underperform to fall victim to his ire, thats when he stands out. His reading of the game has gone awful, and it was never good at all.

I'd prefer to listen to a bit of proper analysis on our biggest game in 4 years rather than "tv gold" It wasn't the time to steal the headlines Dunphy style.

Yet, again, he has succeeded.

Keep the "tv gold" for Albania v Romania.

Ha, stop going mad.
    I am guessing Dunphy will apologise, he did when he slated Whelan a few years ago. He felt awful about it. But as I said, he always goes over the top, either very negative or very positive.

Proper analysis is what exactly??? Who does good in your eyes? The bt gang of mick owen, savage and nutter Hoddle?? Or how about sky, Redknapp and Henry. Every station has some clowns. Rte has Dunphy.

Just relax. Dunphy succeeded in annoying you and some people in here, and we are talking about him, his job is done. His name will make it into some newspapers tomorrow morning, job done. Do you not see it?

And also, I disagree with what you say about keane. Keane shouldnt have said it in public, and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For a man that seemingly isn't interested when he is playing for Ireland I do wonder why he keeps turning up to games? Strangest disinterest I've ever seen.

As for Dunphy, RTE spend a lot more money on other bollocks than they do on him. Everyone knows the deal with him.

I'm sure you're right but I don't know that about "Everyone knows the deal with him"
    - Do tell please, or post a link.

For a man that seemingly isn't interested when he is playing for Ireland I do wonder why he keeps turning up to games? Strangest disinterest I've ever seen.

When it suits him.

He's bowed out of games before with pathetic excuses.

When it suits him.

Hold on. Those excuses are coming from his club.
    The manager didnt want him playing meaningless games.
    I dont doubt McCarthy's passion to play for Ireland.
    He is a good player, but hasnt been playing too well in the last two years. Maybe we just expect too much from him.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you're right but I don't know that about "Everyone knows the deal with him"
    - Do tell please, or post a link.

Post a link that everyone knows his M.O?

Do I really need to?

Post a link that everyone knows his M.O?

Do I really need to?

Yes please, or just tell us what you know.

Yes please, or just tell us what you know.

What I know?

The same as anyone that has watched Dunphy for any stretch of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When it suits him.

Ah, so now he is only interested when it suits him. I guess Ireland's opening match of the euros wasn't a game he would be interested in then, not compared to any of the preceding 36 international games he played. I'll bet he could barely be bothered getting up this morning considering his lack of interest.

As for Dunphy, RTE spend a lot more money on other bollocks than they do on him. Everyone knows the deal with him.

I must be out of the loop because I don't know the deal RTE has with Dunphy.

Sorry about that. Please clue me in - a link will do if you can't recall the details.

Seriously:)

I must be out of the loop because I don't know the deal RTE has with Dunphy.

Sorry about that. Please clue me in - a link will do if you can't recall the details.

Seriously:)
    I think you're misunderstanding. I took the 'deal with Dunphy' to mean his punditry style, rather than referring to some arrangement he has with RTE

I think you're misunderstanding. I took the 'deal with Dunphy' to mean his punditry style, rather than referring to some arrangement he has with RTE

Thanks for that but I think what Alf said was clear and I'm very interested in the details that he/she knows.

I'll waits for Alf's answer

Thanks for that but I think what Alf said was clear and I'm very interested in the details that he/she knows.

I'll waits for Alf's answer

Grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I love Dunphy - himself and Brady are carrying Giles - huge admiration for Giles as a player and manager , but his time is up, thought he was been retired ?? - Dunphy is great Television , don't always agree with him , who does ? , but love the simmering feud with Liam , and McCarthy was poor today - its the commentary team I have more issues with - switched to bbc for match , and had to endure Jonathan Pierce and his rubbish , but still better than listening to George Hamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Eamon Dunphy - York, Millwall, Charlton, Reading.

Tries to lecture John Giles, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan and Graeme Souness about Football....:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement