Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy v McCarthy and RTE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

dd972 wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy - York, Millwall, Charlton, Reading.

Tries to lecture John Giles, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan and Graeme Souness about Football....:confused:

in fairness he's pretty humble about his old football talent and heaps the praise on brady and Giles - his book on Football is one of the best I ever read on sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

wonga77 wrote: »
    Dunphy is a fool who plays up to the camera, he's there purely to be controversial, sure its years since he offered any meaningful insight into a game. I think everyone agrees on that. I do think he went ott in his criticism of McCarthy tonight but sure nobody takes him seriously anyway

He is a joke

Giles is shocking as well tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I enjoy listening to Dunphy - that's all. Whether he is right or wrong bothers me not, he makes me interested, and his opinion is valuable (whether I agree with that opinion or not). What DOES bother me is the huge amount of people who feel the need to spout vitriol about Dunphy having the right to be opinionated. Someone listed the clubs he played for, and oozed disdain at such lowliness in a footballing career - I would be proud. By the way, you forgot Shamrock Rovers, but Giles played with them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

While I appreciate that Dunphy brings something to the punditry mix, I've really grown to dislike his style over the years.

This argument about his purpose being solely to entertain doesn't wash with me: you can be entertainingly opinionated - provocative,even - and still base what you have to say in facts, or at least coherence. Entertainment, accuracy and thoughtfulness aren't mutually exclusive: they can work well together.

Dunphy is an intelligent and articulate man, but I think he's grown lazy because he's had to play up to a certain persona for too long. I think I'd give him a fail on both counts as a pundit: He's neither insightful about the game, or really genuinely entertaining - So much of his "analysis" is usually based on his own prejudices or pre-formed opinions. He annoys me with his rote trolling, I think arguments in favour of this on the basis of "entertainment" are pretty weak and I won't miss him when he's gone.

It's all a bit sad in the end really, because I do honestly believe that Dunphy had it in him to be a truly great pundit - his books about football are excellent, and he's a learned individual with charisma - but he decided to take the easy option and play the clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What DOES bother me is the huge amount of people who feel the need to spout vitriol about Dunphy

You like Dunphy but have a problem with vitriol?

Rather a contradiction there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GFish wrote: »
    I must be out of the loop because I don't know the deal RTE has with Dunphy.

Sorry about that. Please clue me in - a link will do if you can't recall the details.

Seriously:)
    The bit in bold is probably why you're misunderstanding. I never mentioned a deal with RTE. I said everyone knows the deal with him, i.e. everyone knows what his punditry is like.

You could have saved yourself a wait if you'd just taken on board what stunner dunner had said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dunphy is a joke of a man.

Before the Belgium game they were the best team in the competition bad we're going to destroy a poor Italian team made up of players from a poor Italian league.

By half time Belgium were overhyped by the media and he was just following their lead and Italian football was the best thing since sliced bread.

Great knowledge of the game there eamo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Any year or decade now Dumbfy is going to get a managerial job to show us how good he would be as a manager...........................

Ah no...........

He is just going to continue letting stuff fall out of his arras....................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tries to lecture John Giles, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan and Graeme Souness about Football....:confused:

He can still understand and describe football well without having an innate genetic predisposition for being a great footballer.

I mean he doesn't, but theoretically speaking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I find it ironic that you are calling another guy an idiot when you misunderstood what he was saying :)
    I find your post ironic too.

What have I misunderstood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

For whoever was looking for a link.

I like the Liverpool one best (Im not a Liverpool supporter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dunphy isn't trolling anybody, he is just an Irish fan who gets more excited about things and feels his opinion is important. He just doesn't pull any punches and anybody who is offended by that just needs to hit the mute button when he starts.

McCarthy was poor last night and was at fault for a lot of Sweden's more successful attacks.

I don't see anybody mentioning that he is not completely over his injury. He is clearly not fully fit yet after his hamstring issues. The problem is that he, when unfit, is still better than anybody on the bench fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yeah because thats how it works.

Steve Staunton, Frank Stapleton, Paul McGrath etc all had fantastic careers... none of them can talk on camera well or provide good analysis.

Bryan Robson & Roy Keane were two of greatest midfielders ever to play in the English top flight but were v poor as managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ali Dia

Advertisement