Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Aldi have now added a third gin to their range.
    It's a "small batch" gin called topaz blue. The bottle looks like a Bombay sapphire knock off. Their standard gin looks like a Gordon's knock off. Not sure how they get away with it.

The price wasn't marked in my aldi but I see it sells for £14 in UK so probably around €20 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Picked up a bottle of the Boyle's gin in Aldi (Tallaght cross, opposite the hospital) there were another 2 bottles left on the shelf if anyone is on the lookout.

My husband was quiet amused when he found it in the bag of groceries... not surprising considering I'm 5 months pregnant and unable to drink it. I did point out that I won't be pregnant forever!!!
    Tanqueray is my usual gin of choice, Hubby got me the Glendalough Autumn Gin last Christmas... really lovely, but pricey I'm told.
    Looking forward to sampling the Boyle's come April!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I am really interested to taste some of these gins, but I'm not keen on the flavour of gin... is there any tips/tricks to make it taste more like vodka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I am really interested to taste some of these gins, but I'm not keen on the flavour of gin... is there any tips/tricks to make it taste more like vodka?

Yeah, buy a bottle of dingle gin, gently open the top, tilt at an angle, pour down the sink, then refill said gin bottle with vodka brand of your choice...easeypeasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yeah, buy a bottle of dingle gin, gently open the top, tilt at an angle, pour down the sink, then refill said gin bottle with vodka brand of your choice...easeypeasy

But...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Drink vodka?

No seriously, try a blander gin. Like Martin Miller or Bulldog. They're both very smooth and not heavily flavoured.

But why would you want to drink gin if you don't like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Im after getting a bottle of Dingle and Blackwater 5. SUPPORT IRISH GIN :)

Have tried one of each tonight, i think the Dingle is smashing it!!

Just realised the BW5 is only 50cl. Scandalous for the price. But I wanted to try it.

Absolute no brainer to go for the Dingle. It's head and shoulders above it all things considered.

Anyway. Just back from holidays and picked up 5 bottles of Tanq for 15e a pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But...

Brita filter it. That might take some of the taste out

Gin tastes like gin. Vodka tastes like... not very much, but vodka basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just realised the BW5 is only 50cl. Scandalous for the price. But I wanted to try it.
    p.

Scandalous ?
    Really?

It's cheaper by the cl than Gunpowder, Kinsale Gin, Black's of Kinsale Gin, Bertha's Revenge, Glendalough, Shortcross and pretty much any of the new Irish craft gins on the market.

Try the No. 5 neat beside the Dingle and let me know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

*gets popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Just looked up the price of blackwater no.5 on o'briens, and looks like they've got in on offer for 25. Would make a nice present!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Absolute no brainer to go for the Dingle. It's head and shoulders above it all things considered.

Anyway. Just back from holidays and picked up 5 bottles of Tanq for 15e a pop.

Have to agree. Wasn't a fan of the Blackwater really. Don't think it's in the same league as Shortcross, Drumshanbo or Dingle.

It's not bad. Definitely a step up from Gordon's, Cork etc.

I'd be inteested to try their Aldi one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Currently have a bottle of Liverpool Gin, Bathtub, Bulldog and Boyles. Looking forward to my weekend now. Tried the Boyles at the weekend and was most impressed. We brought it to the UK as a gift to my other halfs mother and she really loved it as well.
    Can't say Dingle left any lasting memory on me and haven't revisited it like I have with the first two above. Also looking forward to drinking some more of the Boyles.

Tried two cracking gins in Manchester, one is called Forest Gin which was fantastic and local and also Wild Wolf. Forest is another Gold award winner and has a rather unusual bottle.

Just looked up the price of blackwater no.5 on o'briens, and looks like they've got in on offer for 25. Would make a nice present!

Still not worth it IMO.

How do the Irish gins compare to Monkey 47?
    More favourably/stronger?

Addle wrote: »
    How do the Irish gins compare to Monkey 47?
    More favourably/stronger?

There's really no other gin like Monkey 47.
    About €60 a 50cl bottle, though!

It was suggested as a gift.
    As mentioned above, I'd prefer to keep it Irish.

It was suggested as a gift.
    As mentioned above, I'd prefer to keep it Irish.

Well, I cheekily recommend Blackwater Juniper Cask. It's aged in juniper wood casks. A very usual, intensely flavoured gin.
    50cl Bottle too.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Other-Spirits-Home-Page/popular-categories/gin-and-genever?product_id=16364i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any opinions on Edinburgh Gin from the gun connoisseur community that seems to be thriving?
    I just ordered ginger & rhubarb, and raspberry flavoured 'gin liqueur' from Amazon. Mostly out of curiosity.
    Also, any issues in getting alcohol delivered?never tried before. I have it coming through parcel motel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Also, any issues in getting alcohol delivered?never tried before. I have it coming through parcel motel
    Start reading here.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Any opinions on Edinburgh Gin from the gun connoisseur community that seems to be thriving?
    I just ordered ginger & rhubarb, and raspberry flavoured 'gin liqueur' from Amazon. Mostly out of curiosity.

Got some through before.

Then a bottle just mysteriously disappeared with pm saying they never received it.

I'd rather drive to NI than use pm for such items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Aldi Roxborough had around 8 bottles of Boyles earlier.

Nice bottle.

IMG_20161115_154951_1.jpg

Do Aldi sell that tonic??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

No, they do sell litre bottles of own brand tonic.

I only ever buy tonic in cans as the carbonation cannot escape aluminium. It leaches out of plastic. Also the lid can too easily get a knock and leave it flat. Too many times it's happened me with plastic bottles of tonic.

Got some through before.

Then a bottle just mysteriously disappeared with pm saying they never received it.

Not encouraging, but sure we'll see what happens.
    I really should have asked v or checked it out before ordering

No, Tesco.

Underwhelmed with the Boyles, it was just bigged up too much i feel.:pac:

Cant understand how it won best Irish gin ? :confused: I had it both neat and with tonic.

All i got was a hint of aniseed/ liquorice from the neat, which isnt listed as a botanical, must be me.

Nothing wrong with it, just bland, i would chose the Aldi LDG before it.

Dingle, Death by and Gunpowder are so far ahead of it imo.

• Advertisement

Got some through before.

Checked PM terms after this and they actually say no alcohol.
    I tried to cancel the order but was too late.
    Think I just got lucky, cos they arrived yesterday without issue :)
    Don't think I'll be risking it again tho

Advertisement