Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 kitten or 2?

• 13-06-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Recently lost a beloved pet cat and it's been surprisingly devastating to me.
    At the moment, I think he may be irreplaceable, but I do miss having a pet around.
    I'm wondering if I do get another cat, is it better for the cat to have company?
    I've read the siblings get on better than non familial cats.

Does anyone have experience of having a single cat and then 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm so sorry you lost your cat :(

It is better for the cat to have cat company (your cat misses the friend too). It is better for you and your older cat to adopt a pair of kittens, because they can play rough-and-tumble games with each other and leave the sedate adult alone (this will help bonding A LOT because big cat will not have to constantly hiss and hide from a single young one just looking for play and company).

If I've misread and you now have no pets, please adopt a pair. Cats need cat company. A mom and her kitten, or two cats from the same household, will do just as well as two kittens. Please consider a pair who have lost their person.

You should have a litter box for each of the two, if possible. A single food and water bowl will be fine, and even better if they are in different rooms (cats like their water away from their food). Please, please make sure they are both spayed/neutered. Otherwise two adult cats are easier than a singleton, and two kittens about twice as hard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I am pet-less now.

I think if I do have another cat, I may as well have 2.

Are there negatives to having one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I am pet-less now.

Cats need company. They're not just little toys that sit around contentedly until you feel like a cuddle. The best company for cats is another cat, but a dog will sometimes do. If you leave the house every day for work, the lonely cat is likely to find the Devil ready to give work to the idle paws, as they say. :) I had a hard time with a single cat years ago, only to find his mood and behavior improved drastically when we adopted a new kitten. Instead of one depressed, bored, withdrawn cat, I had two healthy, cheerful, affectionate ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I am pet-less now.

The only negatives to having one cat that I can think of: 1. Twice the trouble :D 2. Who do you cuddle first :D 3. Getting nothing done watching them play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

I wouldn't say that all cats need company. We have three, and one is a total loner who would be just as happy without any feline company. The first two were mother (14) and son (12, the loner) and neither of them seeks each other's company. We got a (no longer) kitten 2 1/2 years ago (took almost 3 months to get it integrated) and it was mad for the other 2 cats. It is obsessed with the mum cat and she allows it grudginly lol. Overall, it was good cause it made mum cat more active watching (and avoiding, but usually found somewhere nearby) the little thunderball :P . The male ignores both most of the time although has been seen to noose-greet thunderball very occasionally :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Company depends on the cat.

One of ours hates all people, other cats, dogs - basically any other living creature. She wants to be alone - all the time. She actually waits outside til we leave then goes in through her cat flap when she has the place to herself.

Advertisement