Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England and Russia should be expelled out of Euros

• 13-06-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Uefa have been promoting "Respect" for the last while yet are content to leave to England and Russia in the tournament after 3 days plus of violence by their supporters ! Would putting both countries out of the tournament not send a clear message of "Respect" ? And perhaps put an end to the thuggery by some of their so called supporters ! I watched Ireland v Sweden with both supporters separated by only the stairs in the same stand and no issues. It shows that most countries can go to a sporting event and enjoy it with no violence and show great respect for each other. There should be zero tolerance !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd ban the Russians, as they are political terrorists in the guise of football fans, whereas the English lot are just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That would mean expelling the French too seeing as the Marseille Ultras have been just as bad as the English.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Respect in soccer please. It's all just lip service by the governing body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

d22ontour wrote: »
    That would mean expelling the French too seeing as the Marseille Ultras have been just as bad as the English.... :confused:

Indeed..

Both Olympic Marseille & OCG Nice would be out of football for quite a while seeing as their Ultras were attacking visiting fans.

fairs fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Totally agree UFEA need to grow some and put any country (supporters) out that acts the maggot ! Live up to their slogan ! Set the standard and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

WC 2018 is going to be disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

I'd ban the Russians, as they are political terrorists in the guise of football fans, whereas the English lot are just stupid.

Being stupid doesn't excuse violence. If it "kicks off" at either Russia or England's next game in or outside the stadium they should throw the offending team out. England for one have a long track record of being thugs at international tournaments and are walking on thin ice.

Icepick wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Icepick wrote: »

Let them organise one of those team fighting championship at the same time for "fans" who want that kind of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Don't forget not to be a racist either.

• Advertisement

Hearing the head of the Russian soccer federation is quoted as saying" I'm proud of our boys for fighting" Absolute twit of a man. They deserve to be thrown out for that alone.

Also hearing the French have locked up 5 English fans for violence on Saturday. Great to hear that also that's how you deal with these animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If they were to throw the Russians out because of fan violence they would need to reconsider the world cup in 2018. It couldnt be held in Russia if their "supporters" caused the team to be eliminated.
    Also, the lad in the russian fa sayin 9/10/people turn up at games to fight should be enough for FIFA to reconsider. If thats the attitude of the next host countrys football association then it really is gonna be a violent one!

.red. wrote: »
    If they were to throw the Russians out because of fan violence they would need to reconsider the world cup in 2018. It couldnt be held in Russia if their "supporters" caused the team to be eliminated.
    Also, the lad in the russian fa sayin 9/10/people turn up at games to fight should be enough for FIFA to reconsider. If thats the attitude of the next host countrys football association then it really is gonna be a violent one!

FIFA gave the world cup to Qatar for god's sake, you think they will take it off Russia and let a hellhole like Qatar have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Superhorse wrote: »
    FIFA gave the world cup to Qatar for god's sake, you think they will take it off Russia and let a hellhole like Qatar have it?

As bad as Qatar is, they have no history of violence.
    Anybody drunk and acting up wont get to see the match, or daylight for that matter. No sh!t will be taken by them.
    Russia is a different matter. Fan safety needs to be the no. 1 priority, it obviously wont be in Russia, unless something changes in the next 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hearing the head of the Russian soccer federation is quoted as saying" I'm proud of our boys for fighting" Absolute twit of a man. They deserve to be thrown out for that alone.

the leader of their country is a thug/bully so its no surprise that this attitude is rife in russian society

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

With the amount of money ENG/RUSS tv companies pay uefa/fifa for tv rights,there is absolutley no way either of these teams will be kicked out. On the other hand if ICE/N IRE had a fight it could be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Don't see the point in kicking England out. They are not the major issue here. Most importantly, the English authorities will **** your **** up once they have evidence of you being a hooligan.

Russian authorities, on the other hand, seem to think it's just a misunderstanding. Huge groups of trained thugs smashing the ****e out if a load of normals is genuinely shocking to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What more can the FA do? They have helped in identifying and banning troublemakers from travelling. Realistically, they are not responsible for who travels in the name of English football and can only do what they can to help police .

What would the people who want them kicked out like them to do? Maybe ring Tom Cruise and see have they any pre cogs from minority report knocking about?

The Russian lads condoning their lot is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Russian society is ultra-macho...no time for softness

even within the russian army the amount of suicides because of bullying is astronomical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Does this remind anyone of school days? The whole class gets in trouble when one person has been bold.

If 10-50 english fans start trouble, the whole country suffers. It seems so harsh.
    Maybe Uefa are right, they have no other option, but it seems cruel that a few fools can ruin it for millions of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd ban the World Cup being in Russia, too much money, too little sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/12/russian-hooligans-savage-organised-england-fans-marseille-euro-2016
    England fans embroiled in violence in Marseille on Saturday night have said groups of Russian hooligans launched “savage coordinated attacks” around the city, disguised in English club shirts and equipped with gumshields and telescopic truncheons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I'd be amazed if theres as much trouble from England, I think part of the problem is it was too easy for certain little scrotes to hop on the Chunnel with the intention of getting absolutely wa*kered and looking for trouble. They will get banning orders and passports confiscated for the next lot of internationals.... Russian fans will be welcomed home with open arms and encouraged to "Welcome" the international community for Rus 2018 to show how strong Mother Russia is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

There's been the usual attempts to put part of the blame the police and locals for what happened by some elements of the UK press, but I think that completely misses the point.

I've no doubt that if Euro 16 games were held in fortified venues with as many riot police as fans and armoured transport to remove fans not only from the venues but to separate host towns where they would be observed closely once again by large numbers of heavily armed riot police there wouldn't be any trouble or violence at the tournament.

But that ruins the tournament for everyone and is just not acceptable. If the fans of any country require that level of supervision then that country shouldn't be allowed at tournaments, it's as simple as that.

I think that threat has hung over England for a long time, they've done a lot to prevent the problems of the past resurfacing and now Russia needs to do the same but if they get involved in violence again at this tournament then kick them out and ban them from future tournaments until they can find a way to either change their fans' behaviour or keep trouble makers at home. It shouldn't be a host nation's responsibility to solve the problems of someone else's society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

UEFA didnt have a problem to kick Feyenoord out of the EL a few years ago when things went a little out of hand in Nancy.

Result of complete mismanagement from Nancy's side. Coicendence really that Nancy wasnt punished for that cluster ****, selling tickets to just anyone despite Feyenoord almost begging to arrange the distribution amongst Dutch fans, since Platini was still in charge at UEFA and had started his career in Nancy.

What happened in Marseille was at least as bad, if not worse, as what happened in Nancy.

So yes, if UEFA wants to win any credibility at the moment, they should **** both England and Russia out this tournament.

But will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

inforfun wrote: »
    UEFA didnt have a problem to kick Feyenoord out of the EL a few years ago when things went a little out of hand in Nancy.

Result of complete mismanagement from Nancy's side. Coicendence really that Nancy wasnt punished for that cluster ****, selling tickets to just anyone despite Feyenoord almost begging to arrange the distribution amongst Dutch fans, since Platini was still in charge at UEFA and had started his career in Nancy.

What happened in Marseille was at least as bad, if not worse, as what happened in Nancy.

So yes, if UEFA wants to win any credibility at the moment, they should **** both England and Russia out this tournament.

But will not happen.
    The French have to go too, how can you not include them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

hatchman wrote: »
    Uefa have been promoting "Respect" for the last while yet are content to leave to England and Russia in the tournament after 3 days plus of violence by their supporters ! Would putting both countries out of the tournament not send a clear message of "Respect" ? And perhaps put an end to the thuggery by some of their so called supporters ! I watched Ireland v Sweden with both supporters separated by only the stairs in the same stand and no issues. It shows that most countries can go to a sporting event and enjoy it with no violence and show great respect for each other. There should be zero tolerance !

I think you have to wait and see what the response it.

50 or so Russian support organisers including some far right activists are being deported.

Also the powers that be sent a clear message that if there's A REPEAT of the violence, both England and Russia would be expelled.

Given that I think you have to wait and see what happens next.

I agree with you in terms of it being a really effective message. As far as I see it, the conduct at the first game was unacceptable. Now they've been told if it reoccurs, they'll be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

eagle eye wrote: »

I agree but the chances of the French being kicked out of their own tournament are fairly slim,I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I see French Police have stopped a bus carrying Russian supporters this morning and they're going to deport the whole lot of them. The Russians will fight with everyone. Can't see English fans rioting on a big scale against Welsh or Slovakian fans but I could be wrong and local French thugs may be a factor - especially if they see an opportunity to get England thrown out. Possible last 16 match against the likes of Ukraine or Turkey tho.

A bit impractical to kick the host out.
    But next time they want to organise an EC or WC they can be nicely ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There may be a valid case that English fans were provoked but they responded with violence.

When you see a video of French riot police approaching English supporters and loads of people jumping in and taking selfies with the riot police but others gathering in a corner and getting ready to launch stuff at them, you've little excuse.

Anyone with the right attitude just steps aside, puts their hands up and walks past the police. Anyone left is looking for trouble.

Those guys need to cop on and accept that Russians or no Russians, they're under the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was a wonder no one was killed. Some of the violence was extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It won't happen but the UK gubberment ought to ban direct travel to Russia for the WC 2018. Just make it more awkward and maybe expensive to get to and try to put off supporters from travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Respect = giving Uefa/Fifa money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Russia have been given a suspended ban from the championship, in case of further violence from their fans: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36528403

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

inforfun wrote: »
    A bit impractical to kick the host out.
    But next time they want to organise an EC or WC they can be nicely ignored
    Impractical, you cannot go kicking out two teams and leave one just as guilty in.

Either no action should be taken as regards kicking teams out or you kick all the guilty parties out.

You talk about Uefa should do it to for credibility but they lose credibility by dissmissing one teams actions and coming down hard on other other two.

Impractical, you cannot go kicking out two teams and leave one just as guilty in.

Either no action should be taken as regards kicking teams out or you kick all the guilty parties out.

You talk about Uefa should do it to for credibility but they lose credibility by dissmissing one teams actions and coming down hard on other other two.

Not saying you are wrong. I wasnt expecting a credible punishment from UEFA at all.

And i was right (again) since only Russia is now warned, 1 more time and you are out.

The mob boss might have left, it is still the maffia Uefa

Advertisement