Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

This is more or less what I've been using. It feels like too much - and I regularly end up drinking gallons of water afterwards. I'm going to make a batch with way less salt and see if there's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

No harm in playing around until you get what you like sure.

Do you dissolve the salt in with the water at the start? I've been following Ken Forkish book and he advises to do this

I do dissolve the salt.

I think the amount of salt - plus salty toppings like pepperoni are just putting it over the top for me. I'll report back on my findings once I try a few different amounts of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone any good recommendations for a pizza pan for ooni? What to try and give making Detroit style a go, but some of the prices for pans are saucy enough when in euros compared to what can be got state side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you already have a small sized stainless steel roasting pan that has 2 inch walls Id give that a go first before spending a lot of money on a pan specifically for the job. Ikea sell this type for 15 quid so you cant go far wrong as it has other uses. https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/koncis-roasting-tin-with-grill-rack-stainless-steel-10099053/ Stainless steel is rated up to 600c so you should be fine baking it at 450c in the Ooni. You could also check nisbetts.ie if the Ikea one isnt the right dimensons. If you are going to Nisbetts in the Ilac center then also check out TK Maxx inside the center as their kitchen section sometimes throws up some good deals on pans and other cookware. They often have wooden pizza peels in there for launching pizza.

If you want a fancy ass pan for serving on the table then you probably are going to have to pay at least 60-70 quid upwards. Be wary of cast iron and ceramic that are plated or enameled and are not true versions as they are likely not rated for the high heat of an Ooni. The cast iron pans Lidl/Aldi sell for about 30 euro are sold as 'cast iron' but they are actually cast iron enameled meaning that temperatures above 260ish could actually crack them. Its the same with ceramic, some are plated ceramic rather than 100% ceramic and are designed for a home oven topping out at 250c max but they would likely crack inside an Ooni running at 450c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah a lot of them do. Too salty for me. Especially if youre adding salami etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I use a large half teaspoon against 500 g flour. Don’t have a scales for measure but estimate it’s 4-5grams.

That makes three 14 inch pizza for me.

Use sea salt and I dissolve it in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nice one didn’t even think to try the roasting tray! Have two of those so will give them a lash first.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boccers

I'm sure you know this but the temperature needed for a detroit style pizza can be achieved in a regular oven. At that temperature any baking or roasting pan is fine but if you are going higher towards the 450 C area I'd be wary of using any cheap pans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

So you have worked long and hard over a few days making a high hydration dough to create the perfect cornicione, light airy and just a slight crackle cooked with a beautiful leoparding outer layer and you present it to your guests to see them leave it behind with the comment I never eat the crust.🤣 Just saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Maybe slightly off topic but was on the road yesterday and stopped off in a Centra for some food. Was really surprised to see a pizza oven in the shop. Seems to be a franchise called Caramico. Was very impressed with the pizza I have to say.

that doesnt surprise me. Ive always thought that the country is full of Spars, Centras, etc and many of them have kitchens and food service counters that are lying there empty from 5-10pm. They're all in good locations for pick up so its a no brainer that the kitchen is used in the evenings and pizza is probably the perfect take away food for small catering spaces. I believe also that pizza is the most profitable take away food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just had an email from Ooni announcing they are launching something that will be the future of pizza on 2nd March.

What do you reckon? A new pot to make your sauce in for only €75? 😲

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pfffft, you don't need a pot to make sauce. Maybe it's an electric Ooni...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Pipmae

It's rumoured to be an electric pizza oven for indoor use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Hah, I thought I was taking the piss

3 days to go to see what Ooni are up to. I've been thinking about an indoor pizza oven and realised I've already got one - the grill! Tested it out last week and it's very good.

I used pre-baked pizza bases. Turn your grill onto the highest setting and wait a few minutes to get hot. Stick your pizza base onto your grill tray and put under grill - I put it high up but you're just looking to toast the base. When it's nice and brown remove and place it, toasted side down on a cooling rack to cool down a bit.

Spread your pizza sauce, then toppings (any meats should be cooked prior). Back under the grill until base is toasted/mozzarella melted.

One crispy-based pizza in under 5 minutes.

For anyone who cant wait for the big reveal this is the patent application for what Ooni are about to release

https://patents.google.com/patent/GB202208738D0/en?assignee=ooni&oq=ooni

Its an electric pizza oven and will be called the Ooni Volt. They may also be releasing a second oven which will likely be an upgrade of a current model

Well there it is, sold as both an outdoor and indoor pizza oven. But it comes in at 900 euro/$999, jesus H christ thats insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

They've lost the run of themselves at this stage!

Speaking of which - there's an ooni knock off that keeps coming up on my feed - pizza nevo. They look good. Anyone bought one?

https://www.pizzanevo.com/products/gas-fired-pizza-oven

Would love to test the Nevo to see how it compares. That’s a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Slightly better than my first few attempts. Tasted decent enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That new model is the price of a decent quality, built in double oven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They are really selling it on their various Facebook communities. Deleting any negative comments, Advocates out in force etc. Really don't like seeing that from a company.

Not that I've said anything negative mind you... I'm still not sure why they blocked me from their Ooni Ireland page.

I've seen similar results with a pizza steel and conventional oven. Just shy of 1k is bananas.

yeah 900 blips is some price, maybe some could justify it at 500 or 600 but 900 knocks that out of the park.

Anyway iirc a few people here are using the Ikea Trofast 42cm boxes as dough proofing boxes. Can report that after a 9 month absence Ikea now have the lids for these boxes back in stock. Got one a few days ago for 1.50 so it finally saves me from having to wrap the entire box in cling film. The boxes themselves fit 4 dough balls perfectly and they fit into a standard size fridge as well with a little bit of wiggling past the door.

I must have tried 5 or 6 times to get Trofast lids over the past 6 months or so. Eventually caved and put the Ooni proofing boxes on my kris kindle wishlist. They're great, but the Trofast boxes were perfect for the price.

One questions I have - when I make dough, I leave it in the fridge as a single ball, then on the day take it out and divide it into individual doughballs. I don't store the doughballs in the fridge. If you're doing that - when do you separate the dough into the individual balls?

yeah like yourself I had checked Ikea for the lids 3 or 4 times over the last six or seven months but they never had them until now so I just persevered with covering the Trofast box with cling film. Id paid 3 euro for the box so I wanted my 1.50 lid godammit!

I make dough the same way you do, bulk ferment in fridge and then separate into 6 balls, two of which are immediately frozen. I would only use either 1 or 2 balls on the day so would just put the 4 of them in the Trofast box at room temperature for 2 hours before a cook. Then just stick the remaining balls in the fridge in the Trofast tray for use either the next day or more likely the day after. If I havent or arent likely to use all 4 fresh dough balls within 3 days I'll then freeze them individually in round Ikea tupperware with olive oil spread inside it to make them easy to slide out after defrosting.

I make enough dough for 4 x 250g doughballs. There's 5 of us, so we'd usually get through them all or at least 3.

I never thought of just making some extra to freeze immediately - so obvious!

• Advertisement

tbh the only reason I make 6 at a time is because Im using that Vito poolish recipe whose quantities yield about 1.5kg of dough so its good for 6 pizzas of 250grams. Ive never bothered reducing the quantities down to 4 balls. It is handy to have a few dough balls in the freezer as they defrost on the kitchen countertop in about 3 hours and then you're good to go. I do find though that you lose a bit over fresh dough, frozen tends to be less airy than when its cooked fresh. The flavour is still there but it just doesnt puff up as much when its from a frozen dough ball in my experience.

Advertisement